Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Nov 6, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #316 of 695
Just to add, I'm not using my Atom HE with focal headphones but with Meze Elite and they sound extremely good compared to Chord H2 & TT2.

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #317 of 695
As others say, the Naim Uniti Atom HE is a great all-in-one device that was tuned with Focal headphones in mind, but it was done so *before* the NUtopia came along, so its tuning was most likely done with the OG Utopia, whose synergy with the Atom is indeed near perfect, but I also heard both headphones on the neutrally tuned DCS Lina stack, and there the OG sounded too bright and lean to my ears (though never hardh), while the NUtopia appeared to be a great match. With this I’m not saying you should land yourself in the poorhouse with the Lina and the NUtopia :wink: , but you might find the NUtopia/Atom HE combo a bit too warm, lacking sparkle. I know I did, and decided to stick with the OG Utopia for my Atom HE… or you could match the NUtopia with a more affordable neutral DAC/amp combo.
My only experience with the Newtopia was at my local dealer using the HE as sole source, in direct A/B comparison with the OG. I did prefer the New over my OG, and didn’t find the combo with the Naim to be too warm. But as always YMMV.

Nov 6, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #318 of 695
As others say, the Naim Uniti Atom HE is a great all-in-one device that was tuned with Focal headphones in mind, but it was done so *before* the NUtopia came along, so its tuning was most likely done with the OG Utopia, whose synergy with the Atom is indeed near perfect, but I also heard both headphones on the neutrally tuned DCS Lina stack, and there the OG sounded too bright and lean to my ears (though never hardh), while the NUtopia appeared to be a great match. With this I’m not saying you should land yourself in the poorhouse with the Lina and the NUtopia :wink: , but you might find the NUtopia/Atom HE combo a bit too warm, lacking sparkle. I know I did, and decided to stick with the OG Utopia for my Atom HE… or you could match the NUtopia with a more affordable neutral DAC/amp combo.
I’m pretty sure the tuning wasn’t just with the original Utopia but the full line up of Focal headphones and I’m sure they tested with other headphones as well. It sounds excellent with the DCA Expanse and other said Meze Elite. So this was designed as an all around headphone system. With that said, it is one of the warmer solid state amps I’ve heard but I think that’s just Naim’s house sound. Thick bottom end, rhythmic, rich mids, smooth highs, and decent resolution but not the last drop. Tube-like.

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #319 of 695
I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where) that someone concluded that the Atom HE sounded better over Wi-Fi than over ethernet... Wonder what the consensus is on that.... 😊

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #320 of 695
I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where) that someone concluded that the Atom HE sounded better over Wi-Fi than over ethernet... Wonder what the consensus is on that.... 😊
I use mine over Wi-Fi now. I used a good high end cable before but didn’t notice any drop in performance with Wi-Fi… maybe a slightly better noise floor.

Edit. Just to say that the biggest perk of the WiFi performing so well, is that it makes it easier to just unplug, pickup and move to a different room. The power cable is the most important upgrade!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #321 of 695
I prefer wifi but can’t really say I could tell the difference.

I also decided to see if bypassing the steamer made any difference. I have a Stack Audio Link II hooked up to my Focal Arche. I hooked it up to the Naim using a coaxial converter and while there was a very slight difference in sound, couldn’t say one was better than the other. But the internal streamer is so convenient, so Link went back to the Focal Arche. The Link II supposed to reduce all kinds of interference, so shows the internal streamer already does an excellent job. It does improve the Focal Arche vs hooking directly to a pc.

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #322 of 695
Has anyone tried the HE with Raal SR-1a or CA-1a using the TI-1b box?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #323 of 695
I own M17 and Focal Clear / Audeze-X. Looking to buy Naim Uniti Atom HE. What can I say that M17 is very precise (technical presentation) and powerfull, especially in DC mode. Sound is detailed with all nuances but personally for me it lacks a bit musicality and soul, not so "lush and warm" presentation. That is why I'm searching for another powerfull device - all in one, with hint of musical, lush, lively, soulful presentation.

Has anyone compared M17 to Naim Atom HE in terms of sound? That would be very interesting for me to know more about this comparison... 🤔

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #324 of 695
I own M17 and Focal Clear / Audeze-X. Looking to buy Naim Uniti Atom HE. What can I say that M17 is very precise (technical presentation) and powerfull, especially in DC mode. Sound is detailed with all nuances but personally for me it lacks a bit musicality and soul, not so "lush and warm" presentation. That is why I'm searching for another powerfull device - all in one, with hint of musical, lush, lively, soulful presentation.

Has anyone compared M17 to Naim Atom HE in terms of sound? That would be very interesting for me to know more about this comparison... 🤔
I can’t compare but I can say I wouldn’t call the Naim HE lush. Probably need to get a tube amp for that. What it does have is the so called PRaT sound. Pace, rhythm and timing. It has great weight with nice bass texture. It has a slightly thicker sound than other setups and might take a little getting use to. The details and layering don’t jump out right away because it’s not as bright and airy as some setups. But you will hear the detail in time and it does bring you into the music. You’ll first hear the rhythm of the music and be drawn in that way.

Hopefully someone can share how it compares. I think it’s a great value for what you get and some say it’s hard to beat for a solid state. People have added tubes amp with great results. On its own it has enough power for the Expanse, which is hard to drive.

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #325 of 695

I’ll second @iamoneagain.

The sound is musical, detailed, and very addictive. It drives the DCA Stealths with ease.

I would say that the bass presence and tone through the Focal Utopia is more “lush and warm”. It’s not to tube levels and it’s not euphonic. The HE definitely warms up the Utopias a bit. As mentioned, the PRAT is still excellent with the Utopias. I’m sure the Clears will be pretty close in comparison.

I’d demo it if possible.

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #326 of 695
I’ll second @iamoneagain.

The sound is musical, detailed, and very addictive. It drives the DCA Stealths with ease.

I would say that the bass presence and tone through the Focal Utopia is more “lush and warm”. It’s not to tube levels and it’s not euphonic. The HE definitely warms up the Utopias a bit. As mentioned, the PRAT is still excellent with the Utopias. I’m sure the Clears will be pretty close in comparison.

I’d demo it if possible.
Yeah, I guess you can call the bass lush. It has this tube-like bloom to it. The mids are also nice and rich. It has the kind of sound that washes over you and surrounds you.

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #327 of 695
Having added a tube amp to the Naim Atom HE, I feel it has similar tones but only in that it has a little more warmth to it but isn't an overly "Warm" amp.

@iamoneagain sums it up well. I find the HE to provide great PRaT, soundstage, imaging and detail. The detail might not be as in your face as other amps but it's also easy to listen to for 8hrs at a time without fatigue. Adding a good power cable really helps bass texture, soundstage and imaging.

The HE really shines in terms of functions and usability. It links up with everything perfectly and is a great preamp!

Dec 6, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #328 of 695
Having added a tube amp to the Naim Atom HE, I feel it has similar tones but only in that it has a little more warmth to it but isn't an overly "Warm" amp.

@iamoneagain sums it up well. I find the HE to provide great PRaT, soundstage, imaging and detail. The detail might not be as in your face as other amps but it's also easy to listen to for 8hrs at a time without fatigue. Adding a good power cable really helps bass texture, soundstage and imaging.

The HE really shines in terms of functions and usability. It links up with everything perfectly and is a great preamp!
What kind of tube amp are you pairing to the HE?

My concern is that if I’m not using an actual amp, I’m somewhat double amping the signal. i.e. if I want to use the Naim as a streamer DAC into the Folkvangr or Woo WA8. I’m not aware of a line out mode on the Naim.

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #329 of 695
Well it is a preamp. I think I heard setting preamp at around 70 is ideal. Then you can set the headphone amp at an appropriate level. From there you can leave the headphone amp set and just use the volume control on the Naim. I haven’t done this but that’s my understanding of it.

And maybe someone should check on the Naim site, but think it’s only putting out like a 2-6v output, specifically to be amped after. This is different from the regular version of the Naim Atom.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #330 of 695
What kind of tube amp are you pairing to the HE?

My concern is that if I’m not using an actual amp, I’m somewhat double amping the signal. i.e. if I want to use the Naim as a streamer DAC into the Folkvangr or Woo WA8. I’m not aware of a line out mode on the Naim.
As @iamoneagain says, set the volume on the Atom HE to about 60-70 then adjust the headphone amp volume to what is comfortable for you then use the Naim remote to turn the vol up and down. I'm using RCA preamp out of the Naim HE an it works very well indeed.

I have the Auris Nirvana and it sounds amazing with the HE. While the Nirvana is obviously doing a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of amplification, the HE is just the perfect source for me. One box that handles the streaming, DAC and preamp. Moving from Roon, YouTube / Movies, Zoom and iPhone streaming is just effortless. I think the only time I'll move away from the HE is when they update it or, someone brings out... or if I'm feeling flush, the DCS Lina Network DAC.

Edit… just to add. Naim Atom HE has a switch to set “ground” to default or floating. This helps avoid humming from ground loop etc. I set mine to floating as there was some hum on default!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back