Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Oct 26, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #181 of 695
Before I purchased mine I looked at their marketing literature and concluded it is a balanced design, Read the reviews they link to from their site. Same conclusion. Read their first entry they posted on their company sponsored forum introducing the HE. It even speaks of new design features specifically for balanced. Read the rest of their forum... Well, I concluded it is balanced. When I bought it my dealer thought it a balanced design! Been following their forum since and can't say I have seen a user suggest it is not as sold... I own three "balanced" amps, from three manufactures. Sadly same flavour of postings with each.

Here is a Naim snippet:

"Uniti Atom Headphone Edition is fully re-engineered to offer the optimal listening performance. Using trickle-down technology from its flagship Statement amplifier, Naim has engineered a new discrete headphone amplifier, capable of powering even the most premium headphones – such as Focal Utopia – with ease. In addition, Uniti Atom Headphone Edition features a completely new transformer design, dedicated to providing - in true Naim tradition - the very best power supply to the amplification circuitry.

The new discrete transistor circuit design enables Uniti Atom Headphone Edition to gain balanced headphone outputs, on both 4 pin XLR and Pentaconn, maximising the performance of high-end headphones with those connections. There is also a standard 6.3mm output."

Doesn't read like they just added XLR jacks for convenience...

I figure the balanced sounds about the same as the SE because the SE in the Atom HE is that good (or my ears that bad). The alternative is every "reputable" company I bought from are frauds?

Maybe the headphone business is that dirty but I think the one claiming a product isn't as sold ought to be the one proving said claim, at least beyond something like I don't hear a difference.

On a different note, the new iOS update to 15.1 supposedly caused some Naim app users to have the app fail on them. I just installed it on a XS Max, a 13 Pro Max, and a 2020 12.9" iPad Pro without any performance issues.

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #182 of 695
Naim only publishes a spec of 1.5W per channel into 16 ohms from presumably all of the available outputs. This would normally suggest that the signal path from the source to the load, is not truly balanced. Otherwise, why not include the likely doubled power output for the XLR output?

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #183 of 695
Naim only publishes a spec of 1.5W per channel into 16 ohms from presumably all of the available outputs. This would normally suggest that the signal path from the source to the load, is not truly balanced. Otherwise, why not include the likely doubled power output for the XLR output?

Maybe I’ll ask on their own forum. They’re really good about replying. But if they just balanced connection and not truly balanced, it’s kind of misleading even if it has no effect on sound quality.

Oct 26, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #184 of 695
Maybe I’ll ask on their own forum. They’re really good about replying. But if they just balanced connection and not truly balanced, it’s kind of misleading even if it has no effect on sound quality.
A truly balanced design adds complexity and cost to the component, thusly it's quite common not to have it in a component trying to meet a reasonable price point. Especially in a product like this one, which gives you streaming capability, a DAC, preamp and amplifier all rolled into one. There is always a compromise to be made, and frankly, this is a typical area to start. A great many manufacturers offer XLR connection options as a convenience to the end user.

I wouldn't think it misleading of them at all. I've yet to see where they've stated that it was. Now if they claimed it, yet didn't design it that way, then yes, that would be a very big mislead.

I'd be interested as to what they have to say. I enjoyed my time with it. Even though I gave the headphone amp a couple hundred hours of break-in, it could be that it wasn't enough to get the best from it. I found that using it as a preamp into my 4channel b22 amp, yielded me by far the best result. Unfortunately I am already set with main rig, and purchased the Naim to be used as an all-in-one in my smaller system. So I had to let it go.

Oct 27, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #185 of 695
Here’s the detailed response I got.
————————-
A journalist asked the same question. This was Steve Sells’ excellent answer:

"The pre-amp output is pseudo balanced i.e. balanced impedance. Great for long runs (for example, to active loudspeakers) and cancels noise pick up. The headphones are actually single ended. There’s only a stereo amplifier driving them. The advantage of the 4 pin XLR and Pentaconn is not to have a balanced connection but to have a 4 wire connection. This connection allows for a separate ground for Left and Right channel. On a 3 pin headphone socket the ground connection for L&R is shared. This shared connection degrades the sound.

Having a true balanced drive would not affect the headphones themselves. Headphones are just a coil in a magnetic field. It doesn’t matter if one end of the headphone coil goes negative and the other end goes positive or if one end stays at ground and the other end moves 2x as far. There will be no pick up like long runs of interconnect cable.

Having balanced headphone amplifiers (or bridged) could in some circumstances sound worse. Not because of the headphone but because now there’ a more complex amplifier driving the headphone. A balanced amplifier will cancel its low order even harmonic distortions such as 2nd. It will then add the odd ordered harmonics such as 3rd. The cancellation of 2nd psychoacoustically exposes the increased 3rd. The 3rd may sound a bit more forward and fatiguing. Each half of a bridged headphone amp effectively sees half the impedance compared to a single ended amp for the same impedance headphone. This again increases 3rd harmonic. Best to keep the harmonics low order. 2nd harmonic is barely audible."

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #186 of 695
Before I purchased mine I looked at their marketing literature and concluded it is a balanced design, Read the reviews they link to from their site. Same conclusion. Read their first entry they posted on their company sponsored forum introducing the HE. It even speaks of new design features specifically for balanced. Read the rest of their forum... Well, I concluded it is balanced. When I bought it my dealer thought it a balanced design! Been following their forum since and can't say I have seen a user suggest it is not as sold... I own three "balanced" amps, from three manufactures. Sadly same flavour of postings with each.

Here is a Naim snippet:

"Uniti Atom Headphone Edition is fully re-engineered to offer the optimal listening performance. Using trickle-down technology from its flagship Statement amplifier, Naim has engineered a new discrete headphone amplifier, capable of powering even the most premium headphones – such as Focal Utopia – with ease. In addition, Uniti Atom Headphone Edition features a completely new transformer design, dedicated to providing - in true Naim tradition - the very best power supply to the amplification circuitry.

The new discrete transistor circuit design enables Uniti Atom Headphone Edition to gain balanced headphone outputs, on both 4 pin XLR and Pentaconn, maximising the performance of high-end headphones with those connections. There is also a standard 6.3mm output."

Doesn't read like they just added XLR jacks for convenience...

I figure the balanced sounds about the same as the SE because the SE in the Atom HE is that good (or my ears that bad). The alternative is every "reputable" company I bought from are frauds?

Maybe the headphone business is that dirty but I think the one claiming a product isn't as sold ought to be the one proving said claim, at least beyond something like I don't hear a difference.

On a different note, the new iOS update to 15.1 supposedly caused some Naim app users to have the app fail on them. I just installed it on a XS Max, a 13 Pro Max, and a 2020 12.9" iPad Pro without any performance issues.

Balance amplifier use 4 amplification boards, even if we can't detect any improve in sound quality, the loudness itself is extremely easy to notice (much louder in balance), as balance will run 2-4 times more power than single ended (only using 1 pc of amplification board).

I never noticed Naim boast/promote Atom as true balance headphone amp.

Anyway as general note, single ended is not inferior to balance, everything is always back to implementation. It's harder and take more cost to matching 4 amplification boards, compare to single ended. In other words easier to achieve perfection in matching signal when using SE amp. Also, due to 4 time more parts in balance amp, generally manufacture able to push with better boutique parts (capacitor, resistor, etc) when design SE amp.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #187 of 695
Balance amplifier use 4 amplification boards, even if we can't detect any improve in sound quality, the loudness itself is extremely easy to notice (much louder in balance), as balance will run 2-4 times more power than single ended (only using 1 pc of amplification board).

I never noticed Naim boast/promote Atom as true balance headphone amp.

Anyway as general note, single ended is not inferior to balance, everything is always back to implementation. It's harder and take more cost to matching 4 amplification boards, compare to single ended. In other words easier to achieve perfection in matching signal when using SE amp. Also, due to 4 time more parts in balance amp, generally manufacture able to push with better boutique parts (capacitor, resistor, etc) when design SE amp.

I think it’s just confusing for people (like me) when you see balanced connections listed, you falsely assume the amp itself is balanced. I don’t fully understand Naim’s explanation other than I’ve heard others argue against going fully balanced for similar reasons.

In the end, I am fully satisfied with how the Focal Utopia’s sound out of it. I may not need to fully understand how it all works but do appreciate it when the manufacturer can quickly come back with a detailed response. This this is also why Chord has such a fan base. Rob Watts is alway there to back up his work with technical explanations.

The only issue I had is when my own enjoyment didn’t match up with all the facts. On paper, the Chord Dave/mscaler should easily trounce the Naim HE but listening to full catalog tells me otherwise. I’m going to assume it’s the tuning while building the Naim HE with Focal headphones. I’ve heard Rob Watts is not a fan of the Utopia, so going to assume the final tuning is done with other headphones.

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #188 of 695
The only issue I had is when my own enjoyment didn’t match up with all the facts. On paper, the Chord Dave/mscaler should easily trounce the Naim HE but listening to full catalog tells me otherwise.
Could you elaborate on that? I got a Naim on the way but some reviews are saying the DAC is so-so and it's making second guess myself. But if it's better or even equal to the Dave/Mscaler then I have nothing to worry about.

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #189 of 695
Could you elaborate on that? I got a Naim on the way but some reviews are saying the DAC is so-so and it's making second guess myself. But if it's better or even equal to the Dave/Mscaler then I have nothing to worry about.

What I’m mean by that is on paper, you’d think the Dave/mscaler should blow away the Naim and at least with the Focal Utopia’s and my music, that’s not the case. Now Rob Watts did always say that you can’t account for peoples’ taste if they like distortion or whatever euphoric effects. So even though one may be technically better, doesn’t mean it would sound better to you.

The Naim excels in PRAT, pace,rhythm, and timing. It gets your foot tapping. It’s got an excellent mid and top end but it’s the bass and texture that I notice most. Chord was always the amount of detail and with mscaler, the ability to pick out and hear the instrument separated from the rest. All instruments coming together nicely. But I’d come across certain albums that didn’t seem to flow that great on the Chord. On Naim, that flow is there. So may not have the superior separation power of the Chord, but doesn’t matter as far as overall enjoyment.

And what I noticed when I first got it was a sort of congested sound. Didn’t hear separation anywhere close to Chord. But now when I listen I all sounds open. So either I’ve just got used to the sound the further time goes on or the Naim sound has actually opened up. But as said, when I was away for 5 weeks and first heard the Naim it sounded amazing. And when I first got it, I wasn’t comparing to the Chord but to the Focal Arche. And now when I first heard the Focal Arche again after months in storage, it sounded like it was lacking compared to the Naim.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #190 of 695
What I’m mean by that is on paper, you’d think the Dave/mscaler should blow away the Naim and at least with the Focal Utopia’s and my music, that’s not the case. Now Rob Watts did always say that you can’t account for peoples’ taste if they like distortion or whatever euphoric effects. So even though one may be technically better, doesn’t mean it would sound better to you.

The Naim excels in PRAT, pace,rhythm, and timing. It gets your foot tapping. It’s got an excellent mid and top end but it’s the bass and texture that I notice most. Chord was always the amount of detail and with mscaler, the ability to pick out and hear the instrument separated from the rest. All instruments coming together nicely. But I’d come across certain albums that didn’t seem to flow that great on the Chord. On Naim, that flow is there. So may not have the superior separation power of the Chord, but doesn’t matter as far as overall enjoyment.

And what I noticed when I first got it was a sort of congested sound. Didn’t hear separation anywhere close to Chord. But now when I listen I all sounds open. So either I’ve just got used to the sound the further time goes on or the Naim sound has actually opened up. But as said, when I was away for 5 weeks and first heard the Naim it sounded amazing. And when I first got it, I wasn’t comparing to the Chord but to the Focal Arche. And now when I first heard the Focal Arche again after months in storage, it sounded like it was lacking compared to the Naim.
thanks, very valuable insight! makes me feel less nervous about "settling" for the Naim vs pricier DACs.

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #191 of 695
thanks, very valuable insight! makes me feel less nervous about "settling" for the Naim vs pricier DACs.

Also when you buy an all in one, it’s the combination of all the components. I think technically even the Hugo 2 might have a better dac than the Naim HE, but for me, there was no synergy there. Generally bright and thin with overwhelming detail. The Naim has warmth, fullness, a good punch and is musical. I’m not saying the Naim HE is the only solution, it just one of the better ones I’ve come across when consider functionality, price and sound. Probably adding a tube amp or something to the Chord Dave/mscaler would have changed things but then close to $20,000. The Utopia’s with the Naim HE is already better than anything I could have imagined just a few years ago.

I should mention I also believe my Danacable Lazuli Reference headphone cable plays a big part in my enjoyment as well. Believe it helps get the most out of any amp it’s hooked to never heard it with the Hugo 2, not sure if it would have changed my mind at the time.

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #192 of 695
Also when you buy an all in one, it’s the combination of all the components. I think technically even the Hugo 2 might have a better dac than the Naim HE, but for me, there was no synergy there. Generally bright and thin with overwhelming detail. The Naim has warmth, fullness, a good punch and is musical. I’m not saying the Naim HE is the only solution, it just one of the better ones I’ve come across when consider functionality, price and sound. Probably adding a tube amp or something to the Chord Dave/mscaler would have changed things but then close to $20,000. The Utopia’s with the Naim HE is already better than anything I could have imagined just a few years ago.

I should mention I also believe my Danacable Lazuli Reference headphone cable plays a big part in my enjoyment as well. Believe it helps get the most out of any amp it’s hooked to never heard it with the Hugo 2, not sure if it would have changed my mind at the time.
Agreed, I'm hoping I will have the same experience. I'll still be using the Naim with a separate amp because I need to power hungry HPs (Susvaras/LCD-5s). But at least if it can function well as a DAC/streamer then I'll be happy. And if in the future I get less hungry HPs I might be able to use it as a true all in one.

Oct 27, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #193 of 695
Very informative posts. Wish they only took pseudo money for the pseudo balanced amp... I am three for three it seems... No wonder I always feel like there is a lawyer in the background parsing words on what manufactures put out info wise. This fully explains the back and forth I have seen on line for each of my "balanced" amps. I dare not contemplate asking about my latest "balanced" pre amp. Naim on!

Oct 27, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #194 of 695
Agreed, I'm hoping I will have the same experience. I'll still be using the Naim with a separate amp because I need to power hungry HPs (Susvaras/LCD-5s). But at least if it can function well as a DAC/streamer then I'll be happy. And if in the future I get less hungry HPs I might be able to use it as a true all in one.

I can’t speak for how it works as a preamp but there have been plenty of favorable reviews on the Naim forum of people using it that way. Think most were feeding speaker amps and not headphones.

But functionally it’s one of the best Hifi pieces of equipment I’ve owned. Very easy to setup and works great with roon and separate apps but the Naim app for streaming Qobuz isn’t the greatest experience. I mostly use roon. The remote is neat how it lights up when you pick it up and the unit’s giant volume knob is silky smooth but hardly get to use it.

Look forward to your posts on how it works out for you.

Oct 27, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #195 of 695
Will do. Also one thing I really like and look forward to testing is the fact that this unit has Chromecast built in. Might not seem like much but there's almost no all in ones that have it and it opens up the door for so many uses that Roon/Airplay don't cover. That was one of the things that made me choose this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back