Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Jul 31, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #511 of 710
Let's say I get rid of both the Hugo2 and HE. I now have the Feliks Euforia EVO and about 3000-4000 USD to spend on a DAC. There should be tons of options in that price range that outclass the performance of the HE DAC.

Anything exceptional that comes to mind?
My end game DAC is the Ygdrassil OG. $3k-4k is a pretty strong budget for a DAC you're using for headphones. I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions.

I wouldn't say the Yggdrasil outclasses the HE with headphones by much. It's different but not necessarily a better listening experience.

Aug 3, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #512 of 710
New to the forum and an owner of the HE for six months. I've used it with Hifiman headphones and now Meze. Prefer the Meze but still left disappointed in the HE amp. I find he HE lacks some dynamics and almost leaves a veil over music.

I'll give the HE credit for being neutral and that hasn't played into my preference for a warmer sound. Since I listen to a lot of 70s music, those recordings aren't always the best. The HE lacks any EQ adjustments. (I used Tidal as my source)

I have looked at different external headphone amps but am conflicted spending more on top of the fairly pricey HE. I am going to try the new Bluesound Node X as a comparison.

Really odd finding. I read the Apple upped their game with the latest MacBook Pros and heard some people ditching headphone amps. So I tried it and for me, the MacBook Pro sound is better than the HE. A lot more lively with better defined bass. It will not go as loud as the HE, but that isn't a concern for me. (I used Apple Music Lossless as my source)

I've read quite a bit of this excellent thread. My former equipment was a Hegel Amp with Sonus Faber speakers before switching to headphones. That is a tall order for any headphone to come close to - but I still like the convenience of headphones.

Lots of rambling, interested in other thoughts.

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #513 of 710
Strange is I find it pretty dynamic, with a somewhat warmer, darker sound than I’ve heard on other setups. I’m using the 4.4mm output with a silver cable on the Caldera. I have not gotten to directly compare it to other setups (other than Focal Arche) but I did to try the Expanse on a bunch of setups at CanJam and found it held up well against most of what I heard. I will get to finally try the Caldera on other setups at the end of the month, so I’ll see if I still feel the same way.

I do think my power cord and headphones cable upgrades might be giving it a slight edge in sound improvement compared to stock.

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #516 of 710
Strange is I find it pretty dynamic, with a somewhat warmer, darker sound than I’ve heard on other setups. I’m using the 4.4mm output with a silver cable on the Caldera. I have not gotten to directly compare it to other setups (other than Focal Arche) but I did to try the Expanse on a bunch of setups at CanJam and found it held up well against most of what I heard. I will get to finally try the Caldera on other setups at the end of the month, so I’ll see if I still feel the same way.

I do think my power cord and headphones cable upgrades might be giving it a slight edge in sound improvement compared to stock.
I have no tried the 4.4m output. Need to purchase a cable for it, but that is interesting.

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #517 of 710
I have no tried the 4.4m output. Need to purchase a cable for it, but that is interesting.
The XLR is also really good. Seems like there’s a hint less detail than 4.4mm. But both have a bigger and wider soundstage than the single end output. The power cable seemed to improve bass and more liquid sound. I’d have to do some digging around to find out the make of my cable. I’ve posted it hear before. I think it was around $300-400, which I admit is kind of expensive but it’s really the only tweak to make to the Naim HE.

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #519 of 710
Cheap considering the Naim power cable upgrade is well over $1,000
I guess that’s one way of looking at it. I don’t think Naim was even pushing that power cord for the Naim HE because of it being almost a 1/3 the cost of the unit itself. Well the original price of $3200.

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #520 of 710
Listened to the Node X tonight. New out of box and I'm old fashioned and still like to burn-in new gear.

Initial impressions are very good - for my ears. The Node X is what I call more forward - the band and singers feel closer and more detailed. In turn, the HE sounds wider and more subtle. Very much a personal preference on what you like. For me the Node X fits my taste. I really like that it has more bottom than the HE and I like a more detailed acoustic guitar. I want to see how it plays out over a week of listening to both (and my MacBook Pro). I also want to try this with my Hifiman headphones and see how different it is versus the Meze's.

Either way, the Node X is a huge step up from prior nodes. The DAC is so much better than in the past. I also like the BlueSound app.

Crazy thing about this hobby that I have been doing since the late 70s, so many different tastes and each piece of gear brings its own personality.

Aug 6, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #523 of 710
Which Meze headphones? Lack of dynamics are not how I would first describe the Naim HE. It has plenty of oomph.

It is all about the whole chain and the synergies that may be had. The only Meze I ever tried with the Naim HE was the Empyrean. And for intimate, forward and superior sound, I picked up the Utopia often enough I sold the Empy

Aug 6, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #524 of 710
Which Meze headphones? Lack of dynamics are not how I would first describe the Naim HE. It has plenty of oomph.

It is all about the whole chain and the synergies that may be had. The only Meze I ever tried with the Naim HE was the Empyrean. And for intimate, forward and superior sound, I picked up the Utopia often enough I sold the Empy
Great question and I always try to frame things that it is my ears/preferences only. I sat at my dealer and listened to the entire Meze and Focal lineup with the HE (I already owned the HE). I bought the 109s which were a steal for the price. I found the Empy to not offer that much of a difference - dealer felt the same way. For some reason the Focals didn’t connect with me even though I know people who love them.

I have decided I am the odd duck on the HE and put it on Audiogon for sale. I love trading and trying gear so off to new things.

Excellent forum here and the HE is a high quality piece. Just not me.

Aug 14, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #525 of 710
I guess that’s one way of looking at it. I don’t think Naim was even pushing that power cord for the Naim HE because of it being almost a 1/3 the cost of the unit itself. Well the original price of $3200.
When I went to my dealer to discuss power cable upgrade options (after 6 months burn in) for the HE, he instead recommended simply replacing the original Naim power lead fuse with a Synergistic purple fuse - here in the UK there is a fuse in the mains plug BTW.

He lent me a cable and I did an A/B and while I am as suspicious as the next man about snake oil, the improvements it made were surprising to say the least.

To my old ears, there was noticeably more separation, detail and a tighter image (listening with Meze Elites and HD800s btw) and I felt there was more benefit it doing this than recabling with a power cable costing 5 times the price of the fuse.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back