Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Jun 18, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #31 of 695
So one weird thing is I finally got around to trying Qobuz straight from the Naim app vs thru roon and it sounds noticeably better with the Naim app. The soundstage opens and it’s more dynamic. I’d say it now surpasses the Focal Arche. With the Focal Arche I used a streamer that has RopieeeXL and could set endpoint as Squeezelite and that improved the sound over roon’s regular endpoint.

Jun 19, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #32 of 695
Just placed the order. Excited to try it out with my D8000 pro and various IEMs!

Did this demo. yesterday against Utopia. The D8kPro and Naim combo. was a match made in heaven.

You will love it !

Jun 19, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #33 of 695
Did this demo. yesterday against Utopia. The D8kPro and Naim combo. was a match made in heaven.

You will love it !
Thanks!! Can’t wait to receive mine. 🥰

Jun 19, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #34 of 695
As always, I find your impressions spot on.

You will love it !

The finals are amazing headphones. Especially the professional version. Was very impressed with the technical ability. Had a recent audition with the Naim He and also out of a Hugo2/C9.

Must try using the Naim app. Any noticeable difference over say Roon?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #35 of 695
As always, I find your impressions spot on.

The finals are amazing headphones. Especially the professional version. Was very impressed with the technical ability. Had a recent audition with the Naim He and also out of a Hugo2/C9.

Must try using the Naim app. Any noticeable difference over say Roon?

I mentioned I tried Qobuz thru the Naim app and it seems more dynamic with bigger soundstage. Just try comparing first song off St Vincent’s new album. You’ll feel more immersed with the Naim app over roon. It’s not like roon sounds bad at all, it’s just the Naim is better. Feels holographic.

Also try new Garage album, the 2nd track. Roon gives an analytical presentation of the guitars, while the Naim app surrounds you. Maybe roon is more focused but I prefer the immersive feeling of the Naim app.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #36 of 695
I mentioned I tried Qobuz thru the Naim app and it seems more dynamic with bigger soundstage. Just try comparing first song off St Vincent’s new album. You’ll feel more immersed with the Naim app over roon. It’s not like roon sounds bad at all, it’s just the Naim is better. Feels holographic.

Also try new Garage album, the 2nd track. Roon gives an analytical presentation of the guitars, while the Naim app surrounds you. Maybe roon is more focused but I prefer the immersive feeling of the Naim app.

There's a very subtle change in timbre also. Then soundstage becomes more spherical, perhaps a little closer together but doing a quick A/B I'm surprised there is a perceptible difference. I'm listening to classical crossover/Film Soundtracks. Anne Sophie-Mutter's album Across the Stars with the Meze Empyrean.

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #37 of 695
There's a very subtle change in timbre also. Then soundstage becomes more spherical, perhaps a little closer together but doing a quick A/B I'm surprised there is a perceptible difference. I'm listening to classical crossover/Film Soundtracks. Anne Sophie-Mutter's album Across the Stars with the Meze Empyrean.

Which do you prefer? I feel that the Naim app might be a little more dispersed but I prefer it. I’ve been moving away from more analytical presentations over time and just want to feel the music.

The change in sound is the exact same thing I heard when switching between roon endpoint and Squeezelite on last streamer with Focal Arche. The roon endpoint is more pinpoint but less musical. You’ll see in other threads people complaining of the roon endpoint. It’s a very subtle difference but so are most changes when dealing with source.

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #38 of 695
Which do you prefer? I feel that the Naim app might be a little more dispersed but I prefer it. I’ve been moving away from more analytical presentations over time and just want to feel the music.

The change in sound is the exact same thing I heard when switching between roon endpoint and Squeezelite on last streamer with Focal Arche. The roon endpoint is more pinpoint but less musical. You’ll see in other threads people complaining of the roon endpoint. It’s a very subtle difference but so are most changes when dealing with source.

The Naim app is a tad darker to my ears. As you say more immersive, and reminds me of being in a theatre room. What sounds better subjectively may be dependent on which headphone pairing also I've only just as I posted done a very quick A/B so it's a bit early to decide. Eyes closed I'm liking the immersive experience. Though part of me is telling me the Empy technically pairs better with Roon. I do have a personal preference that way. Roon is a little wider in the soundstage, perhaps a tad more air in the presentation. It's a larger room. And more analytical. More Chord like if that's an analogy.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #39 of 695
The Naim app is a tad darker to my ears. As you say more immersive, and reminds me of being in a theatre room. What sounds better subjectively may be dependent on which headphone pairing also I've only just as I posted done a very quick A/B so it's a bit early to decide. Eyes closed I'm liking the immersive experience. Though part of me is telling me the Empy technically pairs better with Roon. Roon is a little wider in the soundstage, perhaps a tad more air in the presentation. It's a larger room. And more analytical. More Chord like if that's an analogy.

I just tried the Force Awakens from the album you were listening to. I have Focal Utopia’s with Danacable. The Naim puts you slightly closer to the music. Kind of like you’re in the middle of it vs roon is in front of you. But I prefer Naim’s presentation. One is like I’m listening to it and the other one I’m experiencing it.

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #40 of 695
I just tried the Force Awakens from the album you were listening to. I have Focal Utopia’s with Danacable. The Naim puts you slightly closer to the music. Kind of like you’re in the middle of it vs roon is in front of you. But I prefer Naim’s presentation. One is like I’m listening to it and the other one I’m experiencing it.
Agreed ... if you like soundtracks, try Sayuri's Theme from Memoirs of a Geisha on the same album. :)

Danacable for Utopia arrived in sort facility today but unfortunately DHL don't work weekend deliveries here so hopefully sometime Monday -> Wednesday. I ordered the Reference Plus for the Utopia. The Utopia would probably pair better to the Naim presentation. I'll have a go at it when the cable(s) arrive.

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #41 of 695
Agreed ... if you like soundtracks, try Sayuri's Theme from Memoirs of a Geisha on the same album. :)

Danacable for Utopia arrived in sort facility today but unfortunately DHL don't work weekend deliveries here so hopefully sometime Monday -> Wednesday. I ordered the Reference Plus for the Utopia. The Utopia would probably pair better to the Naim presentation. I'll have a go at it when the cable(s) arrive.

Interesting is when you listen to that track it seems to sound better with roon. It’s technically better, more precise, but do it enjoy it more? Still find myself leaning toward Naim.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #42 of 695
How is the pairing with Susvara, 1266 Phi TC, and HE6 SE? Does it pack the juice to drive these to great levels and maintain bass control/extension? Or would this be better suited for LCD4/Utopia/Verite?

Jun 21, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #43 of 695
Not tried the abyss. However it does not drive the Susvara adequately. Does lcd4 fine

Jun 21, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #44 of 695
Not tried the abyss. However it does not drive the Susvara adequately. Does lcd4 fine

Has anyone driven the Susvara with the regular Uniti Atom? Just wondering since I heard speaker amp was preferable for that headphone.

Jun 22, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #45 of 695
By just fine is it enough to drive it with authority? Waiting for my unit and was planning on getting the lcd4 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back