NAD VISO HP50 vs. V-MODA M100
May 23, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 15
you have to give us more stuff. What music do you listen to? Do you need closed headphones? Is isolation a problem? How about comfort? Max budget? Will you use an amp? and so on

May 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks Rebelinho,
I listen to almost everything, from classical, orchestral, electronic, to rock and metal. (And HD movies as well)
They are both the same budget (300$)
They are both closed (yes I need good isolation)
I will not use an amp, mostly my mac book, and sometimes iphone and ipad.

May 29, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 15
Guys,
I am having bad experience with v-moda while purchasing.
After receiving my confirmation email for my order five days ago, I have contacted them now to ask about my order, they said it was declined due to difference between billing and shipping addresses (although it was clear in the purchasing process that I can choose difference addresses).
I have sent a complain to them.

Do you guys think it's a sign to go to the HP50? 
wink_face.gif

May 29, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 15
Hey man! Sorry to hear about your order issue. That stuff can get to ya.

Unfortunately, I have not tried the HP50s though I believe the countless reviews praising them are not false and I feel you probably no be disappointed in them, or either of these cans for that matter.

But what I can throw in the mix is that I'm getting my M100s tomorrow, and if you're still in this debacle, I'll happily chime in my impressions!

May 29, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 15
That would be great
I also have read a lot of reviews about the HP50, they say it sounds like good speakers in a good room.
But I want a headphone to sound like a headphone lol.
I love how the M100 is designed and I also read good reviews about its building materials.

May 29, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 15
Yeah, the M100s build is premium. Very stylish and built like a tank!

And yeah I've heard about the very spacious and detailed sound of the HP50s which give them a very speaker like sound which is really cool but I'm with you on the headphones sounding like headphones part, haha!

I honestly believe that the HP50s are going to be quite pleasant for just about all genres making them hard to hate, but the V-Modas have such a fun warm sound that they'll suit most genres, especially while being a bassy can with a well retained mid range, but will maybe fall a bit short on classical or even certain types of rock compared to the HP50s it's give and take with each!

P.s., for the record, I think the HP50s are ugly. If these were for public use and looks mattered, then I personally would set the bar low. It's an interesting look, but it just looks so strange to me, haha.

May 29, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 15
Totally agree with you regarding the ugliness of the HP50
They have made an extra elegant design (more than needed), with a tube like head band and rectangular cups.

Although Classical and Rock are among my favourites, but I liked the way v-moda was designed. and according to the graphs created by headphone.com, no big difference (at least that's what I think)

May 29, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 15
Yeah, they took a very... Interesting turn with design, haha!

And yeah it appears on the graphs that they aren't too night and day from each other. They both seem like cans most people could easily like. It's more of what factor you prefer. For a more audiophile sound that works great with everything but still has a bit of bass and warmth to keep it interesting, the HP50s fill it!

For a really fun sound that gives a more dance effect and more of a vibrant reproduction of your music making it more energizing and musical, the M100 are perfect. It seems like a can that's taken a bit of all elements and put them in one. They have a slightly recessed mid range to achieve the fun sound but still made it warm full and very present that is detailed, a really fun low end which gives it a consumer quantity bass load but with great quality on top of it, and a detailed treble that extends well and sparkles but is a bit rolled just to make portable listening easy, topped with a great soundstage for cans that possess these qualities and bam, it's just a can that does everything good enough that there isn't much to complain about!

Honestly, if it was a do or die selection time, I would go for the M100! Tell me which you're leaning towards!(;

May 30, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 15
Although Classical and Rock are among my favourites, but I liked the way v-moda was designed. and according to the graphs created by headphone.com, no big difference (at least that's what I think)

I did not find M100 satisfying for classical. It's quite dark in there--you can't hear the high treble instruments such as cymbals. This affects rock and metal too. I trust this HP50 review. (I also noticed the similarity of those graphs, but I've read posts stating that the HP50 bass is nowhere near that.)

May 30, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 15
Honestly, if it was a do or die selection time, I would go for the M100! Tell me which you're leaning towards!(;

I am not just leaning towards the M100, I have already ordered a pair.
I just liked it, despite all reviews favoring the HP50. And despite the not so professional attitude from v-moda team. (May be I can talk about this in a different thread)

May 30, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 15
Oh yea, my apologies! I forgot you already ordered a pair. Did you not want to buy used for any reason? Or even new from somewhere like Amazon where there are good returns and (for most new products) an activated warranty.

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 15
Hi guys... I'm in a similar situation as OP here...
Looking for good, closed portable headphones, and right now I'm thinking the M-100s might be a bit too lacking in the midrange for my tastes.
Any recommendations? :neutral_face:

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 15
has anyone heard both?
Is the v-moda m100 more satisfying than the hp50 for some music (which music)?
Can someone give a comparison if they heard both please.
I have the hp50 and they sound good. But I would love a little more bass slam if possible (although I can live with the HP50s bass).
I wonder how wide is the m100s soundstage and how clear does the midrange is.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 15
  has anyone heard both?
Is the v-moda m100 more satisfying than the hp50 for some music (which music)?
Can someone give a comparison if they heard both please.
I have the hp50 and they sound good. But I would love a little more bass slam if possible (although I can live with the HP50s bass).
I wonder how wide is the m100s soundstage and how clear does the midrange is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back