NAD Viso HP50 or Philips Fidelio X1?
Sep 7, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #19 of 29
Having heard both (I have the HP50, and I had the Philips) > the Philips is the one for you,
based on your stated preferences.   I think you'd find the HP50 quite lifeless and too neutral.

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #22 of 29
I find the bass to be more immersive on X1's, and while both are a tad dark, the HP50 has better treble extension to my ears, which is very important for a dynamic and lively sound. The X1's sound like a movie theatre, and HP50's are a natural presentation. That's what you need to decide between... The X1's sound like they might be slightly better for your tastes.

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #24 of 29
Well personally I haven't heard the hp50, but from what I read they are the more neutral headphone. I have heard the x1 though, and I can say that it is excellent. It has a very fun sound signature with emphasis on bass, overall very thick and warm sounding, but still maintains very good clarity. So if you're looking for a fun, bassy and engaging sound that is not so neutral go with the x1. Otherwise for neutrality you might want to look into the Hp50.

Or wait for the X2 that will come next month.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #26 of 29
Until you can audition one or the other, I don't think any amount of bumps can save you (and you'd probably be happy either way). Maybe try PM'ing an owner of either can in your area to audition one of them? It's worked wonderfully for me!

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #27 of 29
Yes, I would highly recommend demoing both as people's suggestions are biased from their own personal preferences.

I think when comparing those two specific headphones, it really becomes a question of open vs closed. I would normally go open over closed for any pair of headphones at the same price point if you do not require portable usage or noise isolation as the sonic benefits of open is much better than closed. Closed headphones can have an improved bass response, but open give you a much more natural sound and better sound stage. From a sonic perspective, I think open options are generally sonically superior than their closed counterparts at the same price point. There are many well-designed closed headphones that also sound open, but currently, I think that well-designed open headphones generally sonically out-perform well-designed closed headphones. The exception is if you are primarily looking at bass quantity and reverb, in which case the closed design benefits that aspect of the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back