NAD Viso HP50 or Philips Fidelio X1?
Aug 27, 2014 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Invalid

Head-Fier
I'm kinda torn between these two, I know they are completely different because the HP50 is sealed and the X1 is semi-open, which one would be the all around performer and overall better between the two?

I'll be using it for music, movies and gaming(via V-Moda BoomPro).

The V-Moda XS and Sennheiser Momentum are also options since all of them share the same price range but, the Momentum having a proprietary jack would be my last choice.

EDIT: Philips Fidelio L2 is also another option for me since it also has a detachable cable. :) Thanks again!

Many thanks in advance! :)

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 29
What sound are you looking for (bassy, flat, warm etc.)?

Will you be plugging them into an amp ?

Will you be using them outside?

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 29
Thanks for the quick response! :)

Will consider amping in the future, would invest in a good DAP first.

Would be for indoor only, since both aren't really that portable, well to me at least.

I've been used to the warm sound of sennheiser. Would want the nearest to neutral signature.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 29
Well personally I haven't heard the hp50, but from what I read they are the more neutral headphone. I have heard the x1 though, and I can say that it is excellent. It has a very fun sound signature with emphasis on bass, overall very thick and warm sounding, but still maintains very good clarity. So if you're looking for a fun, bassy and engaging sound that is not so neutral go with the x1. Otherwise for neutrality you might want to look into the Hp50.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 29
I've heard both, and prefer the HP50 a million times over. The X1 bass is too bloated and loose, treble is far rolled off, the level of detail isn't the best... but they are musical, great for gaming, and engaging for movies like very few other cans are. The HP50's have an emphasis on mids then lows then highs, with a warm/natural, detailed, controlled sound. For you, I'd recommend the X1's. They aren't as neutral, but I think you'd enjoy them more.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 29
I havent heard the HP50 but I will tell you you cant go wrong with the X1. The X1 is open, I'd assume that'd it would have a larger soundstage.  Cant imagine the HP50 doing anything better than it except, bass, and not by a considerable margin.  People tend to exaggerate the differences.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 29
The HP50 measures better for clean and extended bass, impulse control, flatter response, better treble extension, and lower distortion across the FR. It also sounds very open despite its closed nature, though I don't think it could beat the X1's for soundstage. The mids seem more detailed, and the treble has the sparkle the X1 is missing. The bass is, for me, undeniably better, for control, extension, texture, detail, balance, and versatility.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #13 of 29
Bump! Want more opinions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay, I have never heard the NAD Viso HP50, but my understanding is that the same guy - Paul Barton - influenced the design of both the NAD and PSB M4U 1.

In selecting the PSB M4U 1 over the NAD,  "The Wirecutter" wrote:

NAD VISO HP50 - If you have a large head, definitely give these a go. Brent put these as his favorite because they have a beautiful high end that is basically flat right down to where they drop off at the bass frequencies. It’s that drop-off at the low end that pushed these out of our top picks. At first I thought the amount of bass was due to the fact that the rectangular-shaped ear cups didn’t seal below my ears, which possibly caused the lower frequencies to leak out. But medium-noggin’ed John had the same fit issue, so it’s not just me. Also, pressing the ear cups flush to my face didn’t change the fact that around 127 Hz (think subwoofer territory) the HP50 start to roll off, and by 90 Hz, they’re pretty much silent. What does this mean? Any music that benefits from a good thumping bass feels as though it’s missing its foundation. That said, everything above that bass is really well done and about as close as neutral as you can get. Do you love a sparkling high end and sneer at anyone who uses the term “bumping bass?” Then you may love these headphones. For anyone else? We’d say stick to our other choices.

I'm not sure how you feel about that, or if this is even a common sentiment, just thought I'd throw that out there for you since you were seeking more info with respect to the NAD.  

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 29
Not a common sentiment, I find the HP50 extension to slay the X1. Check out http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/NADVISOHP50.pdf  http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX1.pdf  and check out how flat the bass is, the much lower distortion in the sub-bass below the driver's dominant frequency of ~70Hz, and isolation. I will back this up with my auditions, which make 37 Hz hits from one of my test tracks sound perhaps a bit too wooly and airy on X1's, and the HP50's weren't much louder per se, but much better controlled and it actually had some quality to it. It's not planar extension, but it's really impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back