NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Nov 7, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #212 of 3,345
^yes that would b a great idea

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #213 of 3,345
  I'm stuck between Momentums and Nad Viso hp50s. It seems most people like the hp50s, especially the guy at inner fidelity. I've tried both, and it seems that the Momentums are punchier while feeling more cramped probably because of the ear cups. They weren't uncomfortable though, even with glasses on. I could wear them for a long time. The Nad hp50s have more soundstage and quite good bass, just not as much punch as momentums. With glasses off, they were quite comfortable. Unfortunately I plan to wear headphones with my glasses on most of the time. While they both sound a bit different, it's hard to tell which I like more. It was hard to directly compare these two, so if anyone could, please do haha.

Not sure if this helps, but I am not an audiophile. I just want to invest in a good pair of headphones. I prefer acoustic covers or instrumentals+ vocals songs and sometimes korean pop and ballads. I like deep, uncongested bass that isn't overbearing. I do like to be immersed in the songs, and it seems like both did the trick, just differently. I am upgrading from an ath m50 with velour pads over stock. The vocals from the ath m50s to me have like an "sss" sound at the end, so I think both the momentums and hp50s were improvements over the m50s.

We can give opinions, but it really comes down to your preference since you had the opportunity to hear both.  They both have their merits, but as you pointed out, they have a different sound.

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #214 of 3,345

You don't have to look too far back in this thread to see that rpaul has reported both of the issues I mentioned.  There is a similar review up on Amazon.  So, despite the fact that you personally find them comfortable, doesn't make any discussion about said issues any less valid.

My intent was not to invalidate your opinion.  I was simply responding to your opinion with my own.

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #216 of 3,345
I suggest the momentums purely on a comfort standpoint.

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #217 of 3,345
They look nice, headband looks a BIT thick...

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #218 of 3,345
That was my review at Amazon. Maybe I'm the only one (so far) who found the pads too shallow and the headband uncomfortable. Worth trying out for yourself if easily returnable, because they do sound great.

I commented on my Amazon review that I preferred the P7 in the end, but now after listening to the Shure SRH1540 for a few days (which are really comfortable) the P7 are going to be returned. More expensive but I think worth it. I would have stayed with the HP50 if not for my comfort issues.

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #219 of 3,345
  That was my review at Amazon. Maybe I'm the only one (so far) who found the pads too shallow and the headband uncomfortable. Worth trying out for yourself if easily returnable, because they do sound great.

I commented on my Amazon review that I preferred the P7 in the end, but now after listening to the Shure SRH1540 for a few days (which are really comfortable) the P7 are going to be returned. More expensive but I think worth it. I would have stayed with the HP50 if not for my comfort issues.

Can you share what you prefer about the 1540 over the P7 and HP50?

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #220 of 3,345
vs. HP50 = mostly comfort and what I thought was better bass performance (though I can't compare directly anymore). I wonder if that has anything to do with my ears being squished against the drivers in the HP50...and if I'm the only one who feels this way about them, maybe something wrong with the earpads on the ones I had received?

vs. P7 = I think "bigger" and fuller sound, overall better sound quality especially in high frequencies. Though the P7 bass sounds like it goes deeper and hits harder on some tracks especially recent (dynamically compressed) pop/dance/Top 40 tracks on iTunes. More comfortable than P7. Wish I could keep both but since I can't, I'm going with 1540. If I had to be out and about with them, I'd probably opt for the P7 since that's the use case it was designed for (and I think they look better). In the house they isolate about the same (enough to block out wife's TV viewing).

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #221 of 3,345
Pulled the trigger on these just now on amazon via sevenoaks - chose them over the M100s. £249 including shipping and will be receiving them on the 14th to the 18th, hopefully the former.

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #223 of 3,345
I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen, but when I push in on my left ear cup(with the headphones on) for the NAD hp50s, sometimes it goes mute. Just on the left ear side that is. I would have to push it again to unmute it. I came about this when I was pushing the ear cups to my head to test the comfort/isolation. The left ear would have like a clank/click sound or something, and then sometimes it makes the left ear go mute. It happens when I press on the word "VISO" or the "NAD" printed on the left ear cup more specifically. The right ear cup would have no clank or any sort of similar sound when pressed. I am not sure if it's my pair or if the headphones are somewhat fragile. Doesn't seem like anything is broken, and it can be unmuted with a push like previously stated. 

I am not an audiophile, but to me, the NAD hp50s sound a bit better than the momentums. The momentums had a bit boomier bass than the hp50s which I liked, but the vocals sounded more congested too. The NAD hp50s made the vocals sound more open(not congested) and also less intruding. The NAD hp50s I thought had pretty good bass when listening to the Pentatonix Daft Punk cover. It's just that if you listen to the momentums first and then the NADs, it'll feel like the NADs don't have as much bass. But, if you aren't listening to music for awhile and then go straight to the NADs, it feels like they have really good deep bass.

If I had to choose which to keep, it would be the NADs. The sennheiser momentums were nice, classy looking with ear cups that fit my ear well since I have small ears. The close fit did seem somewhat cramped though. The NADs were very comfortable without glasses on, but with glasses on, they were just okay. The NADs also sound a lot more spread out (bigger soundstage?) than the momentums, especially in the vocals. 

I really tried to like the momentums more since I liked the classy look way more than the NAD hp50s, but the congested vocals(to me at least) was not something I could continue with. I think they are both nice headphones though, but for $300, they are quite expensive. Build quality wise, it seems the momentums are more solid in the ear cups and headband while the wiring may seem thin and not long lasting. The build quality of the NAD seemed more fragile with its plasticky build and also thin wires. I am moving up from an ATH m50s(great build quality IMO), and I was just looking for an upgrade. 

TL;DR = My pair of NADs had a quality issue to me in the left ear cup. In comparison to the momentums, I like the NAD hp50s more than the momentums

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #225 of 3,345
I turned around and cancelled the HP50s. VAT froze my feet into ice blocks and I will be buying them when I get back to HK instead. Apex Glacier is still coming however because I stupidly sent my dacmagic+ back to hk so I need an amp and dac. Will be asking the seller to reduce the declaration price as much as possible :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back