NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Nov 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #196 of 3,345
The P7 looks absolutely gorgeous if i could have a few other "top tier" closed cans like my M-100 it'd be the P7 and the HP 50.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #197 of 3,345
I prefer the HP50 to the Momentums.  I think the presentation on the Momentums is a tad forward.  Plus the earpads on the HP50 have much more room for my ears.

Only downside is the length of the HP50 cable is only 47"...at my office space I run them off of a Nuforce iDo that sits behind my monitor.  I found the length to be a little lacking at times when I wanted to lean back a little.  I ended up swapping the cable out for a V-Moda cable now it's great.  Plus I can swap out M-100 when I want some quality face slam bass jam time.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #198 of 3,345
Quite tempted to sell my HD25s and buy these and the M100s

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #201 of 3,345
Painful skull clamp inflicted by the HD25. 

Yup, velour pads haven't changed much, still hurts after using them for a hour or two. Finally a bit tired of them.

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #202 of 3,345
Not that I need any more headphones... still an in-depth comparison of the M-100 or the DT1350 as a reference point, the HP50 and the P7 would be nice.

@Craigster: Interesting that you consider the P7 brighter than the HP50... what I read about them in the P7 thread sounds to me like a not very bright can. On the other hand I've heard neither the HP50 nor the P7 so far... but that would make the HP50 unlikely to match my taste I guess.

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #203 of 3,345
  More review please!

And for those who have it. Doesn't it look kind of funny on the head, with its squarish kind of headband?

I am perplexed by their headband design - considering they apparently spent many many hours in the laboratory coming up with the Room Feel tuning, you would think they could at least have put in a little effort into maximizing comfort.   I mean if it is meant to emulate the experience of listening to music on speakers, then having an uncomfortable design takes away from that experience - unless you are in the habit of wearing uncomfortable hats, fashion accessories, or other headgear while listening to your stereo...

1. The headband seems designed to guarantee an uncomfortable pressure spot on the top of your head.
2. More than one owner has reported that the ear pads aren't deep enough and so the grill is uncomfortable on their ears.

Any new owners also experienced the above?

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #204 of 3,345

I am perplexed by their headband design - considering they apparently spent many many hours in the laboratory coming up with the Room Feel tuning, you would think they could at least have put in a little effort into maximizing comfort.   I mean if it is meant to emulate the experience of listening to music on speakers, then having an uncomfortable design takes away from that experience - unless you are in the habit of wearing uncomfortable hats, fashion accessories, or other headgear while listening to your stereo...

1. The headband seems designed to guarantee an uncomfortable pressure spot on the top of your head.
2. More than one owner has reported that the ear pads aren't deep enough and so the grill is uncomfortable on their ears.

Any new owners also experienced the above?

It sounds like you have more of an issue with aesthetics.  The HP50 is one of the most comfortable headphones I have worn.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #206 of 3,345
  Not that I need any more headphones... still an in-depth comparison of the M-100 or the DT1350 as a reference point, the HP50 and the P7 would be nice.

@Craigster: Interesting that you consider the P7 brighter than the HP50... what I read about them in the P7 thread sounds to me like a not very bright can. On the other hand I've heard neither the HP50 nor the P7 so far... but that would make the HP50 unlikely to match my taste I guess.

I have the V-moda M-100 and I heard the DT 1350 so if you would like i could PM you my opinion of them.

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #207 of 3,345

The P7 is bright; the HP50 is, IMO, right on the money across the board.

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #208 of 3,345

It sounds like you have more of an issue with aesthetics.  The HP50 is one of the most comfortable headphones I have worn.

You don't have to look too far back in this thread to see that rpaul has reported both of the issues I mentioned.  There is a similar review up on Amazon.  So, despite the fact that you personally find them comfortable, doesn't make any discussion about said issues any less valid.

But big comfort issue - the earpads are too shallow so my ears are pressed against the drivers and the headband hurts the top of my head.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #210 of 3,345
I'm stuck between Momentums and Nad Viso hp50s. It seems most people like the hp50s, especially the guy at inner fidelity. I've tried both, and it seems that the Momentums are punchier while feeling more cramped probably because of the ear cups. They weren't uncomfortable though, even with glasses on. I could wear them for a long time. The Nad hp50s have more soundstage and quite good bass, just not as much punch as momentums. With glasses off, they were quite comfortable. Unfortunately I plan to wear headphones with my glasses on most of the time. While they both sound a bit different, it's hard to tell which I like more. It was hard to directly compare these two, so if anyone could, please do haha.

Not sure if this helps, but I am not an audiophile. I just want to invest in a good pair of headphones. I prefer acoustic covers or instrumentals+ vocals songs and sometimes korean pop and ballads. I like deep, uncongested bass that isn't overbearing. I do like to be immersed in the songs, and it seems like both did the trick, just differently. I am upgrading from an ath m50 with velour pads over stock. The vocals from the ath m50s to me have like an "sss" sound at the end, so I think both the momentums and hp50s were improvements over the m50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back