NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jan 25, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #2,731 of 3,345
Tried my Qnktc\Henry Audio Dac that i normaly use with my Hifi systen (vienna acoustics speakers with an xindac 6950 amp). This is an usb dac just as the fiio, but without the build in amp that the e7k have. Connected this to the fiio e9 docking/amp, Wow, what a difference, Tighter bass, more forward vocal, and more treble...or airy/sparklig treble, that i missed in my Fiio e7k. what i did not like was the background noise i get from using the analog input on the e9 amp,so maye i also need a better amp.

The background noise dissapeard when i disconnected the usb connection to the E9 amp (only in use when e7k is docked), so now the background noise is gone :)

Edited by dopus - Today at 2:48 pm

if this is a double post, then delete it. I think i managed to delete the original post when i  was editing it because of wrong spelling of words.

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #2,732 of 3,345
  Can anyone recommend a good dac for the hp50. I use a fiio e7k with a e9 amp. but i think the headphone sounds a little dark/not crisp enought. I am wondering if this is because of my dac/amp or if this is the signature sound of the headphone. I am considering Shiit modi2 or the 0dac, but open for suggestions. Anything that can make the headphone sound a little bit crisper. Mabye it is the headphone that just sound that way.

Using mostly Wimp HIFI as music source

as @Deni5 wrote, these fiios sound dark, warm. i have a denon da-300usb and that's much more neutral sounding. the hp50s will sound warm/neutral with most sources, though. they are far from being bright.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #2,733 of 3,345
  Can anyone recommend a good dac for the hp50. I use a fiio e7k with a e9 amp. but i think the headphone sounds a little dark/not crisp enought. I am wondering if this is because of my dac/amp or if this is the signature sound of the headphone. I am considering Shiit modi2 or the 0dac, but open for suggestions. Anything that can make the headphone sound a little bit crisper. Mabye it is the headphone that just sound that way.

I'm using a Shiit Modi 2 (non-uber, I didn't need the extra inputs, and my motherboard has dedicated clean power to the USB port the Modi is plugged into) with my HP50s, previously through a Perreaux solid state amp, and now through a Schiit Vali 2 with a "Philips" (really EI) PCC88 tube. 

The Modi 2 & HP50 sound with the solid state was very good, but the sound with the tube is fantastic. It cleans up the HP50's mid-bass/midrange heavy presentation without losing any of the sweet roomfeel sound, and adds a great soundstage, seperation, and sparkle on the treble when the recording calls for it. It won't add anything that isn't there, but good recordings of acoustic guitars and such sound really clean, almost "delicate", yet not veiled or masked.

Considering that Shiit themselves admit that the next major step up from the Modi 2 is the upgraded version of the Bifrost, the multi-bit, and the Modi 2 is only $99, I'd recommend it to anybody in a heartbeat.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #2,734 of 3,345

Tidal ...IPad2 ... CCK ... 5v powered hub ... Meridian Explorer2 ... HP50s.

Very nice SQ, with clear edges around acoustic instruments. Plenty of power for the HP50s.

Also use the Explorer2 as my DAC into my tube amp and speakers. Delightful.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #2,735 of 3,345
My first setup was like this: mp3s/flacs (mp3s at 320k) => foobar2000 (WASAPI) => Audioengine D3 => HP50
It sounded pretty good, with a solid body to the sound. The HP50 however tended to show the slight congestion in instruments and vocals of the D3. The D3's sound signature made the HP50 sound a bit more warm (I would say around 10%).
New setup goes like this:
Mostly flacs (some of them 24/96) => foobar2000 (ASIO64) => Chord Mojo => HP50.
The Mojo does really bring the HP50 up to another level. Not that it was worse before but you know the difference a DAC makes.. :wink:

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #2,736 of 3,345
Just pulled the trigger on a set of these for the office and they arrived today. Very excited to get to know them, but I will say that they'll be replacing my B&W P7s.

EDIT: ehhhh I'll keep both for now.

Feb 20, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #2,738 of 3,345
Hi,

Is there any way to authenticate NAD HP50 Headphones & make sure of its originality?

Thanks in advance

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #2,739 of 3,345
Anyone know where PSB and NAD headphones are made?  I have both, the NAD VISO HP50 and the PSB m4u4 iem, although the company is Canadian, it doesn't state anywhere on the box where these headphones are made.  Any ideas anyone?  Not that it mattered too much, as I'm in love with the PSB sound.  I'm really more curious than anything else because it is not often you see a packaging with no indication of where the product is made in.

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #2,741 of 3,345
How is the sound isolation on these vs Oppo PM-3?

Looking at these two as a potential travel/portable option (plane rides included).

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #2,742 of 3,345
How is the sound isolation on these vs Oppo PM-3?

Looking at these two as a potential travel/portable option (plane rides included).

I have owned the PM3 for a month now. On my larger than average head, the Sound Isolation is better than the HP50. For example, I have missed a call, not hearing the phone ring in the next room. But, the PM3 are nowhere as good as sound cancelling phones, such as the Bose 25s, however the sound quality is an order of magnitude better than the Bose.

YMMV, because it depends on how well the cups fit over your ears. The PM3 cups are slightly larger then the HP50, so they are more comfortable, and isolating for me.

The PM3 are now my favorite portable/travel phones. On the plane, I use the Shure in-ears, with foam tips for sound isolation.

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #2,743 of 3,345
I have no clue where I measure on the "how big are your ears" scale, but I do know my head is slightly large based on my hat size: 7 and 3/8 in baseball hats. I think I'll try the PM-3 with Amazon Prime and see how they work on a plane -- I've got a trip within the next 30 days. I wish they offered the steel blue color on Amazon.

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #2,744 of 3,345
I have no clue where I measure on the "how big are your ears" scale, but I do know my head is slightly large based on my hat size: 7 and 3/8 in baseball hats. I think I'll try the PM-3 with Amazon Prime and see how they work on a plane -- I've got a trip within the next 30 days. I wish they offered the steel blue color on Amazon.

I placed my order on the phone with Oppo. Great service, and 30 day return policy.

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #2,745 of 3,345
Cool. Maybe I'll see if I can talk them into a discount if I order the PM-3 and the HA-2 at the same time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back