NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Dec 3, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #2,611 of 3,345
I've read wonderful things about the Brainwavz velour pads, but I despise pleather.

Do you have any sense of whether the velour pads would fit as well?

They would fit, but leak sound like crazy and probably ruin the sound profile (especially bass impact) . Kind of defeats the purpose of putting velour on a closed back imo.

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #2,612 of 3,345
Hey guys, have any of you tried both HP50 and Beyer DT150? I am very interested in how they compare in sound quality. I think they look a bit similar and measurements for them also look a bit similar on Innerfidelity. Can DT150 be a more rugged, more durable alternative to the HP50?

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #2,613 of 3,345
How do the Momentum 2.0 sound compared to these? 

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #2,614 of 3,345
They would fit, but leak sound like crazy and probably ruin the sound profile (especially bass impact) . Kind of defeats the purpose of putting velour on a closed back imo.

I'm coming from open headphones, so I hadn't considered that.

Please let us know how the Brainwavz pads work out - I just ordered my NADs (lol!) today.

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #2,616 of 3,345
I'm coming from open headphones, so I hadn't considered that.

Please let us know how the Brainwavz pads work out - I just ordered my NADs (lol!) today.

I think you will really like them, it is hard not to. The brainwavz pads, to my ears, add a bit of subbass. I am getting a pretty good slam at this point. YMMV, etc.

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #2,617 of 3,345
How do the Momentum 2.0 sound compared to these? 

These two headphones are similar in overall quality. I'll break it down this way:

NAD Viso HP50 are more mid-centric. They are also more resolving. The HP50 is more dynamic/energetic, while the Momentum v2 around ear is a little more laid back. The Momentum v2 around ear are more V shaped in response. Soundstage is similar if i recall correctly. Momentum looks better and is more comfortable. If I could only have one I'd choose the HP50 unless I wanted bluetooth then I'd go Momentum v2 around ear bluetooth.

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #2,618 of 3,345
These two headphones are similar in overall quality. I'll break it down this way:

NAD Viso HP50 are more mid-centric. They are also more resolving. The HP50 is more dynamic/energetic, while the Momentum v2 around ear is a little more laid back. The Momentum v2 around ear are more V shaped in response. Soundstage is similar if i recall correctly. Momentum looks better and is more comfortable. If I could only have one I'd choose the HP50 unless I wanted bluetooth then I'd go Momentum v2 around ear bluetooth.

Apparently, Momentum is not V-shaped at all. Check out the description of the sound signature in the following link. The quote was taken from second paragraph from the top:

"...Also, on both headphones, the treble above 3kHz is a little too rolled-off..."

HP50 will have a brighter, more neutral sound with more midrange and treble presence than Momentum v2 has. So HP50 should be a more balanced, better all-arounder.

I do agree regarding resolving capabilities of the HP50 - they are very high. HP50 is one of the most resolving headphones at their price range, easily. Yet, what I love about HP50 is that it is able to sound highly detailed, yet also buttery smooth and completely free of any harshness. Not many headphones can achieve this - most either lack resolution or sound harsh or bright in some way. HP50 is likely the most tonally balanced headphone I've ever heard.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #2,619 of 3,345

Apparently, Momentum is not V-shaped at all. Check out the description of the sound signature in the following link. The quote was taken from second paragraph from the top:

"...Also, on both headphones, the treble above 3kHz is a little too rolled-off..."

HP50 will have a brighter, more neutral sound with more midrange and treble presence than Momentum v2 has. So HP50 should be a more balanced, better all-arounder.

I do agree regarding resolving capabilities of the HP50 - they are very high. HP50 is one of the most resolving headphones at their price range, easily. Yet, what I love about HP50 is that it is able to sound highly detailed, yet also buttery smooth and completely free of any harshness. Not many headphones can achieve this - most either lack resolution or sound harsh or bright in some way. HP50 is likely the most tonally balanced headphone I've ever heard.

Yes, there is some treble roll off in the Momentum. What I really meant to communicate when I said V shaped is that the overall presentation with the momentum that there is more sub-bass and lower treble presence relative to the relaxed midrange.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #2,620 of 3,345
  Yes, there is some treble roll off in the Momentum. What I really meant to communicate is that the overall presentation with the momentum that there is more sub-bass and lower treble presence relative to the relaxed midrange.

Interesting, usually people describe the momentum as having more midbass and a lack of subbass compared to the hp50.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #2,621 of 3,345
  Interesting, usually people describe the momentum as having more midbass and a lack of subbass compared to the hp50.

I don't listen to a lot of bass heavy music but when it comes to rock, I'd say the HP50 has tighter, more energetic bass--which incidentally tends to be midbass in this genre. My main memory of the bass of Momentum is being impressed that the bass hit as low as it did for a Daft Punk song I listened to but...I don't have the Momentum with me at the moment to test back to back with the same song on the HP50. 

Edit: The other thing I want to clarify is that I'm not saying the HP50 doesn't have sub bass--it does. I'm saying that imo midrange is less forward on the Momentum, not so bad that it is recessed per se, it's just a different style of presentation where to me the bass and lower treble stand out more. The real big difference between the two headphones sound-wise is resolution--there is a graininess to the Momentum that isn't there for the HP50.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #2,622 of 3,345
  Yes, there is some treble roll off in the Momentum. What I really meant to communicate when I said V shaped is that the overall presentation with the momentum that there is more sub-bass and lower treble presence relative to the relaxed midrange.

More lower treble on the Momentum. Hmm... Maybe it's some resonances or something? Frequency response shows HP50 as the one with more treble presence. Or perhaps Momentum has a more uneven treble and your ears perceive the peaks as louder than their really are, while with HP50 that doesn't have any peaks in the treble, the highs don't stand out as much, so they seem quieter?

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #2,623 of 3,345

More lower treble on the Momentum. Hmm... Maybe it's some resonances or something? Frequency response shows HP50 as the one with more treble presence. Or perhaps Momentum has a more uneven treble and your ears perceive the peaks as louder than their really are, while with HP50 that doesn't have any peaks in the treble, the highs don't stand out as much, so they seem quieter?

Haha listening to the HP50 right now I can agree that there is more treble..more everything really. I'm tying to say the Momentum is more laid back generally but skewed a little toward the bass whereas the HP50 is more energetic sounding generally but with a reasonably flat response.

Edit: As we hash this out it is becoming clear to me that V shaped was an inaccurate way to describe the Momentum, heh.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #2,625 of 3,345
Just listened to Bjork's Biophilia on my m4u2's (very similar to the NAD) through Fiio E5. Wow. Cant imagine anything in this price range being any better.

Not to take away from the M4U 2 as I have not heard that headphone but regarding at least the HP50...imo my Magnum V6 sounds quite a bit better but it's a lot different being an open back headphone.

Edit:My other point being that the Magnum is in the ballpark of the HP50 price-wise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back