NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Nov 17, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #2,521 of 3,345
My HP50's earpads thinned out and is flaking bad, and I cant find decent seller for replacements.  Are there other earpads instead that can fit and wont change the sound signature? I am eyeing HM5 pads, but not sure if the thick pads would change the fit and sound signature

There's some discussion of alternative pads in this thread. I know this thread is HUGE, so it's hard to read through it all. Some google searches might help you locate the relevant posts. I just found some from 2013 where someone reported that the HM5 pads are loose on the HP50 and the bass disappears because of the lack of a seal. I seem to remember someone in earlier this year (2015) reporting the same thing.

I'd love to have some more comfortable pads for the HP50. The shock cord mod helps a lot. But it doesn't make them super comfortable; just much less painful for longer listening sessions.

Brian.

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #2,522 of 3,345
The problem I have with the HP50 is mainly comfort. It´s not a circumaural headphone which inevitable lead to ear pain in the long run. Otherwise it´s good in sounding enough good though never the best. There is no annoying peaks but it´s my fourth best headphone of of the four I own. However it´s also the cheapest so bang for buck is competitive :)

i have relatively small head and ears, and for me, comfort is no issue at all. i'm usually happy to wear the hp50s for hours without any discomfort.

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #2,523 of 3,345
Just noticed when plugging the jack to the right earcup, I get a channel imbalance, slight but noticeable.  When plugging back to the right earcup, sounds back fine.  Anyone notice this with their NADs?

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #2,524 of 3,345
  Just noticed when plugging the jack to the right earcup, I get a channel imbalance, slight but noticeable.  When plugging back to the right earcup, sounds back fine.  Anyone notice this with their NADs?

I may be wrong but that's what started happening to me before the cable inside the headband disconnected completely.
For me, that's how it all began and as time passed, it kept happening more frequently and more severely. It took a while for it to completely disconnect but it did happen to me that way.
It may not be it but the only solution to that I can come up with it to get a custom cable that connects to both sides.
I haven't found time to order one yet although this happened months ago but hth.

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #2,525 of 3,345
  I may be wrong but that's what started happening to me before the cable inside the headband disconnected completely.
For me, that's how it all began and as time passed, it kept happening more frequently and more severely. It took a while for it to completely disconnect but it did happen to me that way.
It may not be it but the only solution to that I can come up with it to get a custom cable that connects to both sides.
I haven't found time to order one yet although this happened months ago but hth.

Thats a bad omen :frowning2:  I hope you're wrong.  I thought finding replacement earpads were bad enough already, flaking all over and all thinned out, now gets painful after only minutes of wearing

Nov 24, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #2,526 of 3,345
I for one look forward to the HP55 or whatever they call the successor, with the better (normal) headband design, better comfort... I know NAD is new to the headphone game, but they should just steal some headband ideas from headphone companies that have been in the game for decades... I'm pretty sure that would entail the perfect portable headphone for me.

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #2,527 of 3,345
EDIT: Correction - re loose cable.

I bought a 2-ring plus tip headphone cable. Works fine.

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #2,529 of 3,345
  Thats a bad omen :frowning2:  I hope you're wrong.  I thought finding replacement earpads were bad enough already, flaking all over and all thinned out, now gets painful after only minutes of wearing

My experience with the earpads has been different - after 16 months of daily use and with them being left in a car for hours a day at ambient temperatures varying between 0 Degrees F and 100 F, the earpads on my HP50's are in perfect physical shape - however I still would like to know where to find replacement pads for freshening-up purposes.

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #2,530 of 3,345
Would also like to know how/where to get replacement pads. I like the pads but I use these while walking and I get pretty sweaty because of the climate

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #2,531 of 3,345
To those who have listened to both this, and the Oppo PM3 how does the soundstage compare? I recently got a pair of PM3s and I think they're nearly perfect, except for the small soundstage. I was wondering how the HP50s compared since they have similarish signatures.

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #2,532 of 3,345
Such a lovely set. I've had mine about a year now and they're holding up extremely well, the same as when I got them out of the box. I listen to all sorts, ASMR, classical, electronic stuff, and it's never seemed deficient in any area. I was considering upgrading, but unless I can get an extremely good deal, I doubt I could get a significant increase even for another couple hundred.

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #2,534 of 3,345
  To those who have listened to both this, and the Oppo PM3 how does the soundstage compare? I recently got a pair of PM3s and I think they're nearly perfect, except for the small soundstage. I was wondering how the HP50s compared since they have similarish signatures.

The sound stage on the HP50s isn't all that wide, but it is good for a closed-back 'phone. Generally speaking, if you want a wider sound stage, you should look at open back 'phones.

Nov 27, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #2,535 of 3,345
  The sound stage on the HP50s isn't all that wide, but it is good for a closed-back 'phone. Generally speaking, if you want a wider sound stage, you should look at open back 'phones.

...or get a beyer 1770 pro. best closed cans i've heard so far, with great soundstage and imaging. they cost like 2-3x the hp50's though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back