NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Oct 3, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #2,461 of 3,345
  I just acquired the NAD Viso HP50. It started when I was visiting a well-sorted high end audio retailer and was still on the fence as to what I wanted to get. I had my Sony PHA-3 / NW-ZX2 walkman with me and started to listen to a number of headphones. I was focused on Sennheiser (Momentum, Urbanite), Marshall, B&W etc. Running through the rack I plugged in the NAD Viso HP50's. My eyes popped! What's this!? I really liked what I heard. I did some testing with electronica and acapella and I thought they sounded just fabulous. I didn't make a purchase that day but I could never get the HP50's out of my mind. Fast forward some months and I have finally gotten the new revision of the Sennheiser Momentum M2 AEBT for commuting and travel. But I still couldn't get the HP50's out of my mind so I had to get them too! Similar price range (compared to wired M2's) and sound etc but I just had to have them.
The thing that everyone talks about the most is the room feel of the HP50's. I'm finding it hard to judge this. I just like the way they sound, but they're still headphones and closed at that. For me, "room feel" is what the high-end open headphones achieve. But for a pair of closed headphones under $300 yes these are very sweet sounding, warm headphones.
I'm not going to commute with these headphones as that's what the M2 AEBT's are for but I did give the HP50's a test run commuting. The passive isolation is very impressive. And honestly, I could have considered these for commuting if it weren't for the headband. One shouldn't care what other people think but the truth is you look like a Martian wearing these headphones. I'll be keeping them indoors at home, visiting family, hotel room etc. I'll have them with me when I travel but I won't wear them traveling. The wide arc of the headband also puts pressure on my skull at a very concentrated point which takes some getting used to. Adjusting the length of ear cups just right seems to alleviate this somewhat. I also move the headband from time to time to move the pressure point on my head.
Ear cups: Ah the ear cups. These square, passive sound isolating ear cups are so comfortable! I love 'em. Fit is always very individual but for me these are just great. Only my huge Fostex TH900s and HD800's are more comfortable.
I mostly use Spotify Premium and have composed a set of fidelity test playlists, both from my own tastes as well as recommendations from the net. I always test bass response with "3 Kinds of Bass" by Bass Outlaws. The HP50's responded very well, much better than expected. They didn't bottom out or roll off. They don't match my Fostex TH900's by comparison but then they shouldn't either - the TH900's are in another class and are renowned for their deep, rich bass response. I found the HP50's to be warm and linear through the whole frequency range. No recessed mid range or recessed vocals. Everything was forward and even with plenty of depth and clarity which is probably the "room feel" engineering.
So to conclude, I find the NAD Viso HP50's to be outstanding in this price range and segment. I spoiled myself by getting these considering the other cans I own but I have a feeling I'm not going to regret it and I've finally gotten this purchase off my mind and on my ears!

One thing about the term, "Room-Feel" is that it's not talking about the openness of the sound. It's named that way only because of the frequency response of the headphones which is made to mimic listening to speakers in a room. So it isn't about having great depth or wide soundstage despite it being a closed-back headphone, but rather it is about the frequency response curve.

Oct 3, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #2,462 of 3,345
Thanks for the clarification. Much obliged!

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #2,463 of 3,345
  One thing about the term, "Room-Feel" is that it's not talking about the openness of the sound. It's named that way only because of the frequency response of the headphones which is made to mimic listening to speakers in a room. So it isn't about having great depth or wide soundstage despite it being a closed-back headphone, but rather it is about the frequency response curve.

I completely agree here. I just got a Lyr2 (Shiit Desktop Amp) which right now using tubes on it but have the LISST's for future experimentation ,and with testing the HP50's and a SR325e's ( Grados) on the amp I hear a frequency range difference where the HP50's sound flatter than the Grados. Granted the 325e's are open but just comparing the frequency response I hear a definite difference. I love the HP50's though... I use them for traveling back and forth from Saudi Arabia and definitely isolate the noise but to me are way better than a set of Bose when it comes to isolation and sound. I have a set of Momentum Over ear at home which I like as well but only tested them using the X5 and a E12 DIY portable amp. That would be interesting to hear those compared to the HP50s on this desktop amp.. I love this amp!

Oct 3, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #2,464 of 3,345

I completely agree here. I just got a Lyr2 (Shiit Desktop Amp) which right now using tubes on it but have the LISST's for future experimentation ,and with testing the HP50's and a SR325e's ( Grados) on the amp I hear a frequency range difference where the HP50's sound flatter than the Grados. Granted the 325e's are open but just comparing the frequency response I hear a definite difference. I love the HP50's though... I use them for traveling back and forth from Saudi Arabia and definitely isolate the noise but to me are way better than a set of Bose when it comes to isolation and sound. I have a set of Momentum Over ear at home which I like as well but only tested them using the X5 and a E12 DIY portable amp. That would be interesting to hear those compared to the HP50s on this desktop amp.. I love this amp!

I would love to listen to my HP50 out of the Lyr 2 especially with the new LISSIT. :D

Grados are quite wild imo. They have a fq response that is pretty much unheard of with other headphone companies. It's either love or hate but good to see you enjoy them as well.

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #2,465 of 3,345
A friend loaned his momentum for me to try out. My comparison the 2 similar priced cans, HP50 is good on the mid range but on the top end and the lower end, the sound breaks up a bit. But the momentum is good all rounds and a touch better from HP 50 on the upper and lower end. Comfort and build quality momentum wins and portability and the accessories HP 50 wins. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #2,466 of 3,345
HP50 is good on the mid range but on the top end and the lower end, the sound breaks up a bit.

The term "breaking up" normally means very clear bad distortion. It's usually when an amplifier is out of power and clips severely, or when a driver (speaker) has reached a mechanical limit and makes really bad noises as it does so. This is a fairly accepted term.

Given that, what exactly are you describing? Hopefully not what I've defined the term to mean. Do you mean the momentums have more bass and more highs? So they are more of a V shaped response curve, as compared to the HP50's response?

Brian.

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #2,468 of 3,345
Just wanted to say how much I like these HP50s! I've had them for a while now used with my trusty DX90. I also use a pair of Westone W40 customs but the Westones can't hold a light to the (considerably cheaper) NADs. The Westones sound veiled in comparison and the only time I use them is when it's either raining or if I need to travel light.

I love the depth and height of soundstage that these are able to produce and the bass always surprises me by popping out just when needed rather than dominating or needing EQ to pump it up.

I'm taking delivery of a Cowon Plenue M in the next couple of days (after waiting a month to come back into stock) and I can't wait to see how they pair together. It'll be very interesting to play around with the Jet Audio and BBE+ options and see how they come across with the HP50s.

To my mind these are probably the best phones for their money before you start hitting the £500+ price bracket.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #2,469 of 3,345
  Just wanted to say how much I like these HP50s! I've had them for a while now used with my trusty DX90. I also use a pair of Westone W40 customs but the Westones can't hold a light to the (considerably cheaper) NADs. The Westones sound veiled in comparison and the only time I use them is when it's either raining or if I need to travel light.

I love the depth and height of soundstage that these are able to produce and the bass always surprises me by popping out just when needed rather than dominating or needing EQ to pump it up.

I'm taking delivery of a Cowon Plenue M in the next couple of days (after waiting a month to come back into stock) and I can't wait to see how they pair together. It'll be very interesting to play around with the Jet Audio and BBE+ options and see how they come across with the HP50s.

To my mind these are probably the best phones for their money before you start hitting the £500+ price bracket.

Philips Fidelio L2 is better in every way imo..

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #2,472 of 3,345
  They're semi open. With them, I don't feel the need to upgrade anymore.

I like the L2 a lot more than the X2 personally (although many are the opposite).
If you like the easygoing Phillips house sound, each to his own.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #2,473 of 3,345
  I like the L2 a lot more than the X2 personally (although many are the opposite).
If you like the easygoing Phillips house sound, each to his own.

Why do you like them more than the X2?

My first headphones were the very cheap Philips SBC HP400, I've head them for more than 3 years, and all that time I loved their sound haha.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #2,474 of 3,345
  Why do you like them more than the X2?

My first headphones were the very cheap Philips SBC HP400, I've head them for more than 3 years, and all that time I loved their sound haha.

I feel like the L2 is actually more balanced and less V-shaped than the X2. Also, X2's a bit too laid back to my tastes.

Glad you found something you like man!

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #2,475 of 3,345
The term "breaking up" normally means very clear bad distortion. It's usually when an amplifier is out of power and clips severely, or when a driver (speaker) has reached a mechanical limit and makes really bad noises as it does so. This is a fairly accepted term.

Given that, what exactly are you describing? Hopefully not what I've defined the term to mean. Do you mean the momentums have more bass and more highs? So they are more of a V shaped response curve, as compared to the HP50's response?

Brian.

Apologies if my review was confusing, i'm just a budding audiophile i dont really know the technical terms. When i said 'breaking up" i meant that speaker has reached its limits. In terms of the V shaped, i not fully knowledgeable on that so i really cant comment.

I think i need to do more A/B comparison, then i'll post up my thoughts on this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back