NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Sep 13, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #2,447 of 3,345
I have a normal to small sized head. I don't like hats much, but when I shop for one, I always need to find one that's on the smaller side. Not teeny tiny, but my head is definitely not "big". My ears are proportional and don't "wing out" from my head.

I have mild discomfort from the clamping force of the HP50s, and *definitely* had ear pain from the contact before I did the shock cord mod. Maybe my ears are bigger than I think? :)

Brian.

I think so, or bit more winged out than you think...:)

I think the cups' size is perfect, because that way it doesn't "waste" much sound or resonances.

What I think NAD should redesign first is the headband hurting the top of the head. It's really a pain, and a shame bcause the SQ is outstanding, especially for iPhone users.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #2,450 of 3,345
My issue is the square shape rather a round. Nevertheless sounds good

Why? A rectangular shape is more suited to our ears, unless you've got a really short and therefore "roundish" ears, which is uncommon.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #2,451 of 3,345
I just got a set of the HP50 headphones and they fit me pretty well. Sometimes I feel like the seal is breaking on the bottom but it actually isn't. It's not tight at all for me.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #2,452 of 3,345
I think there is a bit of product variation with the HP50. The demo unit in store didn't seal tightly on the bottom like my second hand unit I own. The store demo was also a little boomy as well. Could have something to do with that slightly loose bottom seal.

At any rate I get a comfortable fit and no pressure points from the headband from my second hand set. Oh and white looks way better than the glossy black with the inevitable mess of finger prints.

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #2,454 of 3,345
So... any good ear pad replacements? Just in case they're too small for my ears. Will be receiving them next week and I'm really excited.

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #2,455 of 3,345
Just got these. I haven't heard nearly the amount of phones you guys have but I am fairly impressed. Certainly more forward sounding than my HD650s regardless of the source, but nice soundstage for closed cans and not too bright.

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #2,456 of 3,345
joining the club with a red pair of hp50's. two questions:

- i'm eyeing this replacement cable: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0071MAQUY i need something around 2-2,5 m. any other suggestions in this price range?
- now i'm driving the cans with my marantz mcr610, but i'd like to get a dedicated amp/usb dac. any suggestions that sound good with the hp50s, and won't brake the bank (around the 2-300€ mark)?

Oct 2, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #2,457 of 3,345

i'd like to get a dedicated amp/usb dac. any suggestions that sound good with the hp50s, and won't brake the bank (around the 2-300€ mark)?

Portable? The ifi nano idsd... Tell us more about how you will drive it, from a phone? Computer? Do you move around or just for the desktop?

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #2,458 of 3,345

- i'm eyeing this replacement cable: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0071MAQUY i need something around 2-2,5 m. any other suggestions in this price range?
- now i'm driving the cans with my marantz mcr610, but i'd like to get a dedicated amp/usb dac. any suggestions that sound good with the hp50s, and won't brake the bank (around the 2-300€ mark)?

That cable looks nice.  I use this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115cm-3-5mm-Replacement-Headphone-Cable-For-Marshall-monitor-NAD-VISO-HP50-FOCAL-/201314248472?hash=item2edf43a718

As far as a USB DAC/amp goes, the HRT Microstreamer is AMAZING!  It's the most cost effective audio upgrade I've ever made and drives many of my headphones beautifully with power to spare.  It's also compatible with my Galaxy Note 4 and given it's tiny form factor, allows me to take great sound out and about with me.

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #2,459 of 3,345
@shabta: desktop/home use only. the source would be my pc/laptop, besides the marantz.

@amigomatt: well, that's on my ebay watchlist, only in a longer version. the smaller jack surely fits the hp50 nicely. how durable is that cable? i have some reservations about the durability of sleeved cables, as i used them for guitars, and went back to "bare" cables.

Oct 3, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #2,460 of 3,345
I just acquired the NAD Viso HP50. It started when I was visiting a well-sorted high end audio retailer and was still on the fence as to what I wanted to get. I had my Sony PHA-3 / NW-ZX2 walkman with me and started to listen to a number of headphones. I was focused on Sennheiser (Momentum, Urbanite), Marshall, B&W etc. Running through the rack I plugged in the NAD Viso HP50's. My eyes popped! What's this!? I really liked what I heard. I did some testing with electronica and acapella and I thought they sounded just fabulous. I didn't make a purchase that day but I could never get the HP50's out of my mind. Fast forward some months and I have finally gotten the new revision of the Sennheiser Momentum M2 AEBT for commuting and travel. But I still couldn't get the HP50's out of my mind so I had to get them too! Similar price range (compared to wired M2's) and sound etc but I just had to have them.
The thing that everyone talks about the most is the room feel of the HP50's. I'm finding it hard to judge this. I just like the way they sound, but they're still headphones and closed at that. For me, "room feel" is what the high-end open headphones achieve. But for a pair of closed headphones under $300 yes these are very sweet sounding, warm headphones.
I'm not going to commute with these headphones as that's what the M2 AEBT's are for but I did give the HP50's a test run commuting. The passive isolation is very impressive. And honestly, I could have considered these for commuting if it weren't for the headband. One shouldn't care what other people think but the truth is you look like a Martian wearing these headphones. I'll be keeping them indoors at home, visiting family, hotel room etc. I'll have them with me when I travel but I won't wear them traveling. The wide arc of the headband also puts pressure on my skull at a very concentrated point which takes some getting used to. Adjusting the length of ear cups just right seems to alleviate this somewhat. I also move the headband from time to time to move the pressure point on my head.
Ear cups: Ah the ear cups. These square, passive sound isolating ear cups are so comfortable! I love 'em. Fit is always very individual but for me these are just great. Only my huge Fostex TH900s and HD800's are more comfortable.
I mostly use Spotify Premium and have composed a set of fidelity test playlists, both from my own tastes as well as recommendations from the net. I always test bass response with "3 Kinds of Bass" by Bass Outlaws. The HP50's responded very well, much better than expected. They didn't bottom out or roll off. They don't match my Fostex TH900's by comparison but then they shouldn't either - the TH900's are in another class and are renowned for their deep, rich bass response. I found the HP50's to be warm and linear through the whole frequency range. No recessed mid range or recessed vocals. Everything was forward and even with plenty of depth and clarity which is probably the "room feel" engineering.
So to conclude, I find the NAD Viso HP50's to be outstanding in this price range and segment. I spoiled myself by getting these considering the other cans I own but I have a feeling I'm not going to regret it and I've finally gotten this purchase off my mind and on my ears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back