NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jul 12, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #2,221 of 3,345
This song is a very good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QzKJJRQrrM

It starts at 0:25 and continues the whole song. It sounds very irritating on my ears on the HP50s.

Btw, I agree with you that the treble is laid back. BUT instead they're too shouty with those instruments like I described before, and that coupled with the laid back upper treble, gives me a hard time enjoying music.

Yeah snare drum. Doesn't sound "boosted" to me too. Maybe what you're hearing is the RoomFeel technology and/or your player/DAC.

Are you plugging your HP50 directly to your PC? I'm thinking impedance issues. HP50 impedance is 32 ohms. Your headphone output jack's output impedance should be 4 ohms or less. Otherwise not enough damping on drivers. Results are overly decaying bass (bloomy, soft bass) and treble roll off.

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #2,222 of 3,345
Great new review of the HP50: http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/07/11/review-focal-spirit-professional-and-nad-viso-hp50-headphones/

It compares it with Focal's Spirit Professional and I feel exactly the same way as the writer does about the sound, preference, and so on.

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #2,224 of 3,345
  I noticed that since I got a skin fade haircut today, the treble came out more on the HP50s! I would say these are pretty balanced as of right now.

There are many aural advantages to having a clean side of head
beyersmile.png

In fact, this headphone is a very interesting experiment in terms of head size, ear size, and apparently cheekbone size:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-400-over-ear-headphones/

The reviewer above says her jawline didn't allow for a proper seal with the NAD. So she picked the similarly calibrated PSB headphone as her second place choice.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #2,225 of 3,345
  I noticed that since I got a skin fade haircut today, the treble came out more on the HP50s! I would say these are pretty balanced as of right now.

I felt the same way as well. Also I found wearing glasses to have an effect as well.

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #2,226 of 3,345

I felt the same way as well. Also I found wearing glasses to have an effect as well.

More seal? Yeah, lack of seal dissipates bass exponentially, hence tilting the sound to thin/bright.

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #2,227 of 3,345
So after 4 days of owning them, I only need to use a very slight treble boost for me to enjoy them, and now they sound VERY satisfying, except for one thing.

Definitely not as bright or clear as the CAL, but I enjoy their balanced sound and good instrument separation and detail.

BUT the only thing that's bothering me a bit, is that the vocals can seem a bit recessed sometimes.

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #2,229 of 3,345
That's odd. The article I quoted showed the HM5 pads on the HP50... well it showed one of each pad. I assumed he actually put the headphones on his head with both HM5 pads attached and listened. But even if they fit ok, if it significantly effects the sound, it's a no go for me.

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions after you try to fit the dt250 pads to the HP50. If it's an improvement that would be very encouraging.
smily_headphones1.gif

Brian.

I just slipped the dt250 pads on.  They don't really fit maybe because I've had them on a different pair of headphones, maybe they are actually too big.  I think you could put some electrical tape around them to make them seal up better.  As far as sound (i had to hold them in place) it sounds like they make everything a little softer if that makes sense.  Highs are softer and bass is softer (not as punchy is maybe the way to describe it?).  I think it's worth a try if you don't mind potentially wasting the $25ish for the pads or if you can find another use for them if you don't like them on the NADs.  I like the leather pads just fine, especially after i stuffed a power cable wire in them to ease the pain on my ears.

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #2,230 of 3,345
So after 5 days of owning the HP50, listening to them like 7 - 8 hours a day I'm going to sell them.

Why? I'm listening to the CAL right now since a few minutes, and they simply sound a lot better to my ears.

A LOT smoother, more clarity, more upfront vocals, better imaging, more satisfying and natural tone. Just simply better.

Going from the HP50s to the CAL is like lifting a layer of veil from the sound, while at the same time being even smoother on the ears.

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #2,231 of 3,345
So after 5 days of owning the HP50, listening to them like 7 - 8 hours a day I'm going to sell them.

Why? I'm listening to the CAL right now since a few minutes, and they simply sound a lot better to my ears.

A LOT smoother, more clarity, more upfront vocals, better imaging, more satisfying and natural tone. Just simply better.

Going from the HP50s to the CAL is like lifting a layer of veil from the sound, while at the same time being even smoother on the ears.

Could be your ears, prolly less sensitive now to treble. For my ears, the HP50 is perfect.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #2,232 of 3,345

What a shame. I'm sure it'll make someone else happy though. I really started appreciating the HP50 after 1.5 half weeks of listening.
YMMV and if CAL suits you better have fun with it.
Sounds like there's not much except for CAL that will make you happy. 

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #2,233 of 3,345
I have had the HP50 for few weeks now, and coming from DT770 LE, I must say it is a great improvement. Soundstage is a lot wider, the bass is REALLY fast and does not sound bloated, more forward mids and non sibilant trebble. Overall very pleased, especially at the price I got them for (130 USD new).

However they can be a bit fatiguing on certain tracks and certain tones: it is quite hard to put a term on this, but some synths or cello in the upper mid range can sound too bright / seem to resonate a bit (Bach concerto's organ, violins on Mahler's 5th). Might be a DAC - amp related issue, poor recording, or simply the sound signature of the still very new HP50 (not fully burned in?).

I see this sound signature issue in certain frequency has been mentioned in this thread. It would be great to get an idea of what DAC and amplification you guys are using, and whether you also noticed this.

Running Foobar > GO 450 > HP50 here.

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #2,234 of 3,345
Just received a Canare L-2B2AT cable from Ghent Audio to use with my HP50s:

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d01.html

I decided to replace the cloth cable since it's a bit too long for me (and I don't need the mic cable). The Canare cable is definitely thicker and stiffer, better quality cable. My imagination tells me it may sound just a bit better. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back