NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Mar 10, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #1,756 of 3,345
  It is. +1.

All my other HPs are open backs, and this NAD clearly is the winner in terms of soundstage. You can really get lost on the music and forget you're listening to HPs.

Is there a closed back HP out there that has better soundstaging/imaging?

W5000, DX1000, TH600/900, Sony R10.

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #1,758 of 3,345
Mar 10, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #1,759 of 3,345
Yeah the DX1000 is a weird can that is for sure, some music sounds heavenly and others sound so resonant and bad.

Quote:
  $300.............

?

The question was if there was better sound stage closed can out there, which there is. Of course the NAD is the best at the lower price point.

At $300 odd, the Feenix Aria might have given these a fair challenge for closed staging, but they never came out :frowning2:

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #1,760 of 3,345

?

The question was if there was better sound stage closed can out there, which there is. Of course the NAD is the best at the lower price point.

At $300 odd, the Feenix Aria might have given these a fair challenge for closed staging, but they never came out :frowning2:

Right, and the fact that all of those cans cost 2-3 times or even more than the NADs says a lot about these cans.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #1,762 of 3,345
I wondered if somebody can compare the sound of HP50 and Philips Fidelio L2?

Not sure about Fidelio L2 but HP50 is as good as TH900 imo.

TH900 vs NAD HP50, in short HP50 has better mids, TH900 better base and well extended bass.

TH900 has a better sound stage but really bothers me with the recessed mids, at this point I prefer HP50. :)

Only thing that I don't like about HP50 is it gets very uncomfortable after 15 mins listening, feels like someone punch top of my head with a hammer but YMMV.

The problem with HP50 design is that the headband isn't curved, this creates uneven or I should say very awkward pressure in the center of the headband.  Very badly design, this reminds me of my old Audeze headphones.

I only had NAD HP50 for 2 days (brand new), I really like the sound signature and quality that I am getting for such low priced headphone, unfortunately comfort is an issue for me,

My HP50 will be in the FOR SALE forum this week.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,763 of 3,345
Not sure about Fidelio L2 but HP50 is as good as TH900 imo.

TH900 vs NAD HP50, in short HP50 has better mids, TH900 better base and well extended bass.

TH900 has a better sound stage but really bothers me with the recessed mids, at this point I prefer HP50. :)

Only thing that I don't like about HP50 is it gets very uncomfortable after 15 mins listening, feels like someone punch top of my head with a hammer but YMMV.

The problem with HP50 design is that the headband isn't curved, this creates uneven or I should say very awkward pressure in the center of the headband.  Very badly design, this reminds me of my old Audeze headphones.

I only had NAD HP50 for 2 days (brand new), I really like the sound signature and quality that I am getting for such low priced headphone, unfortunately comfort is an issue for me,

My HP50 will be in the FOR SALE forum this week.

I think now that the headband could be bent to become more of a circle to widen the contact point on top of the head.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,764 of 3,345
I tried fairly hard to bend the headband and put a good amount of force into it with no sucess. Whatever is inside is pretty damn strong lol. I was hesistant to go full force tho in case i broke the internal wiring. I think if i could have bent the top part it would actually have allowed the earcups to fully cover my ears and made the actual headband much more comfortable. I may give it a try again one day if i manage to score a pair for a good price.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #1,765 of 3,345
I tried fairly hard to bend the headband and put a good amount of force into it with no sucess. Whatever is inside is pretty damn strong lol. I was hesistant to go full force tho in case i broke the internal wiring. I think if i could have bent the top part it would actually have allowed the earcups to fully cover my ears and made the actual headband much more comfortable. I may give it a try again one day if i manage to score a pair for a good price.

Yeah, I tried also but chickened out to go harder...:D And haven't even thought of and cared about the wiring. If you feel it the headband seems made inside of thin sheet of metal. But it's very resilient.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #1,766 of 3,345

You had reason to feel hesitant.  I tried to make the top of the headband more circular, and in the process broke the internal wiring -- 0.75 mm thin wire.  I also managed to crack the inside plastic clamp that held the sliding part to the headband band itself.  The clamp was clipped to the band by two tiny wedge-like lock.  In general, the innards of the band were too delicate and fragile to be messed with.  I learned the hard way.

I will take a picture of the headband sans the cushion for the satisfaction of some curious folks here.  ^_^

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #1,767 of 3,345
You had reason to feel hesitant.  I tried to make the top of the headband more circular, and in the process broke the internal wiring -- 0.75 mm thin wire.  I also managed to crack the inside plastic clamp that held the sliding part to the headband band itself.  The clamp was clipped to the band by two tiny wedge-like lock.  In general, the innards of the band were too delicate and fragile to be messed with.  I learned the hard way.

I will take a picture of the headband sans the cushion for the satisfaction of some curious folks here.  ^_^

Did you manage to get them working again in any shape or form?

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #1,768 of 3,345
So I am not the only one who had the discomfort issue ? This headphone is very painful for me but not as painful as Audezes LCD series.

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #1,770 of 3,345
So I am not the only one who had the discomfort issue ? This headphone is very painful for me but not as painful as Audezes LCD series.

I find them comfy enough, but I can see why people have serious discomfort with these. I do prefer to wear them backwards as I get a better seal that way, and after wearing for a couple hours the headband does leave me a bit sore, but otherwise I would give the comfort a 7/10 for me. Comfortable enough to make a concession for the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back