NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Feb 22, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #1,651 of 3,345
My HP50's headband was twisted, something fell on it and in my attempt to fix it the sliding part snapped. I've been messing around with this 'phones a lot, maybe that contributed to the damage.  I was able to put the headband back together to acceptable and decent shape. However, the fine wire inside was broken. The left and right cans have no connection now whatsoever.  I don't want to solder or rewire, I'm no handy man I'm sure I would make the matter worse. So, my question is, can I use a y-cable? I don't mind having wire coming out of both the sides as long as the headphones work. If so, what sort of 3.5mm jacks should I look for?  Any wire you can recommend?  

(Member chailee80 suggested SOL Republic cables.  A bit pricey.)

Btw, I asked the same question in NAD's support.  No reply.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #1,652 of 3,345
[COLOR=555555]?.. So, my question is, can I use a y-cable? I don't mind having wire coming out of both the sides as long as the headphones work. If so, what sort of 3.5mm jacks should I look for?  Any wire you can recommend?  [/COLOR]
[COLOR=555555]

(Member chailee80 suggested SOL Republic cables.  A bit pricey.)

Btw, I asked the same question in NAD's support.  No reply.[/COLOR]

I tried to use two TRRS Plugs to wire mine in balanced mode... No luck. The 3.5mm TRRS left & right sockets are wired so that either will work. One solution I can suggest is to have a friend or tech rewire two mono sockets into the left & right cups, and make you up a custom Y cable. Look on PartsExpress, Amazon or eBay for 3.5mm sockets and plugs.

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,653 of 3,345
I tried to use two TRRS Plugs to wire mine in balanced mode... No luck. The 3.5mm TRRS left & right sockets are wired so that either will work. One solution I can suggest is to have a friend or tech rewire two mono sockets into the left & right cups, and make you up a custom Y cable. Look on PartsExpress, Amazon or eBay for 3.5mm sockets and plugs.

Could it be because yours had the left-right cable intact?  Mine was broken.  No connection between the two cups.

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,654 of 3,345
Could it be because yours had the left-right cable intact?  Mine was broken.  No connection between the two cups.

Good point... You can experiment with plugging into each side to see if you hear the left and right channels.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,655 of 3,345
Good point... You can experiment with plugging into each side to see if you hear the left and right channels.

This is how I intended to rectify the disconnection between the left and right channels without opening the cans or soldering.  Do you think there's a chance this will work?  If this will work, any idea what sort of 3.5mm jack I should look for?

Thanks in advance, folks.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #1,656 of 3,345
Hi, I just bought nad viso. Sound quality is ok, but I do not think it is better as my akg k 612 pro. And right now I am thinking of buying a bluetooth headphone akg k845bt, which I am also trying. So far I can say I like the soundstage and mids more than by NAD. The look is also much mire my thing by akg. but I am only at the begining of my listening. NAD ARE BURNED IN. AKG NOT AND THAT IS WHAT SCARES ME, THAT THE AKG WILL BE even more my thing afer BURNING IN. Akg k 612 k pro got to their best after maby 100 hours. Here will it be probably the same.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #1,657 of 3,345
Hi, I just bought nad viso. Sound quality is ok, but I do not think it is better as my akg k 612 pro. And right now I am thinking of buying a bluetooth headphone akg k845bt, which I am also trying. So far I can say I like the soundstage and mids more than by NAD. The look is also much mire my thing by akg. but I am only at the begining of my listening. NAD ARE BURNED IN. AKG NOT AND THAT IS WHAT SCARES ME, THAT THE AKG WILL BE even more my thing afer BURNING IN. Akg k 612 k pro got to their best after maby 100 hours. Here will it be probably the same.

Calm down there buddy lol. Well, it comes down to liking a sound or not in the end no matter how advanced a headphone is so try to get used to the NAD sound. It took me 4 days to adjust to the sound.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #1,660 of 3,345
I compared nad viso to akgs in the picture.

Pioneer amp a30:
winner akg 612
Second akg 845 and nad together.
I phone 5s:
winner akg 845 and nad
Second akg 612

I'll give you my thoughts on AKG phones and the NAD phone. Now, please understand these are strictly my thoughts, no more, no less. I already understand that many people would disagree.
A short explanation of AKG in one word is "weird"
Here are the some things about AKGs I do not like: Soundstaging is good but goes sideways too much, mids sound artificial and plasticky which makes string instruments sound weird and unnatural, highs are also kind of similar in some ways but not as much as the mids, lows with some AKG models are loose, and this is personal, tonality. It's not very neutral or natural to my ears compared to something like the NADs.
The only AKG I kind of like is the small budget K450.
These are just my thoughts that I wanted to throw out there.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #1,661 of 3,345
I asked a headfier to compare the new Denon MM400 and Viso HP50 and he said that some have problems with HP50 after year or so. Can you share your thoughts about its mechanical and overall durability and is it prone to wearing off quickly.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,662 of 3,345
I'll give you my thoughts on AKG phones and the NAD phone. Now, please understand these are strictly my thoughts, no more, no less. I already understand that many people would disagree.
A short explanation of AKG in one word is "weird"
Here are the some things about AKGs I do not like: Soundstaging is good but goes sideways too much, mids sound artificial and plasticky which makes string instruments sound weird and unnatural, highs are also kind of similar in some ways but not as much as the mids, lows with some AKG models are loose, and this is personal, tonality. It's not very neutral or natural to my ears compared to something like the NADs.
The only AKG I kind of like is the small budget K450.
These are just my thoughts that I wanted to throw out there.

Well if you had an amp, than hp50 can't compete with akg k612. Open vs. Closed. And if the akgs are burned in, than there is only one champion from these two Akg.But it is only my opinion.:)

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #1,663 of 3,345
I asked a headfier to compare the new Denon MM400 and Viso HP50 and he said that some have problems with HP50 after year or so. Can you share your thoughts about its mechanical and overall durability and is it prone to wearing off quickly.

If you are referring to my reply, I want to clarify that I have read/heard that people have had problems and that the plastic cups have deteriorated in some cases after about a year - it's not an experience I personally have had.

I would only say that these NADs felt a bit too lightweight and fragile. I prefer a solid build - the Focal Classics were amazing in this regard - and settled on the Denons for that reason as well as sonic reasons (of course :wink:).

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #1,664 of 3,345
What an excellent phone the NAD is. I couldn't find any fault at all. Paul Barton is really something. Other companies would price this kind of SQ as TOTL pricing of other brands.

I actually welcome the plastic cups and plastic headband. It makes it very light and not too expensive.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,665 of 3,345
What an excellent phone the NAD is. I couldn't find any fault at all. Paul Barton is really something. Other companies would price this kind of SQ as TOTL pricing of other brands.

I actually welcome the plastic cups and plastic headband. It makes it very light and not too expensive.

Though I love my hp50, its NOT very light IMO. Yamaha hph200 is really like a feather comparing to hp50 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back