NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Nov 2, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #1,471 of 3,345
  For those using Viso with a phone, do you use a portable DAC as well, or rely on the built in DAC of your phone?

Also, is anyone using this with a DAP - Fiio X5 or Ibasso DX90? How does it sound?

I like the combination of the X5 and HP50 very well. I have been using them quite a bit over the last three weeks. This was when I got the X5. I have not done any heavy analysis, so don't ask. I use these when doing things around the house and yard, so I am not concentrating on picking things apart when listening.I just know that the music sounds good. Periodically something will be playing and I just have to stop and listen for a minute or two. I usually end that period by saying... WOW, that is nice!

I don't have a DX90.

I have used the HP50 out of the headphone jack of my HTC DNA. It has Beats audio on it (which I disable) and supposedly a solid headphone amp. I am not impressed. It will work ok in a pinch, but I prefer using OTG with my JDS C5D.
I don't listen much out of the phone. This is mostly due to the limited memory available on the DNA... and a dedicated music player like the X5.. or even my Sansa Fuze just sound better.

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #1,472 of 3,345
thanks serafko and mandrake50. I already have the Fiio E18 but I don't really hear much of a difference when I use with with my Note 3. It is quite helpful though, as a DAC, for my desktop PC which has a less than stellar sound card.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #1,473 of 3,345

I like the combination of the X5 and HP50 very well. I have been using them quite a bit over the last three weeks. This was when I got the X5. I have not done any heavy analysis, so don't ask. I use these when doing things around the house and yard, so I am not concentrating on picking things apart when listening.I just know that the music sounds good. Periodically something will be playing and I just have to stop and listen for a minute or two. I usually end that period by saying... WOW, that is nice!

I don't have a DX90.

I have used the HP50 out of the headphone jack of my HTC DNA. It has Beats audio on it (which I disable) and supposedly a solid headphone amp. I am not impressed. It will work ok in a pinch, but I prefer using OTG with my JDS C5D.
I don't listen much out of the phone. This is mostly due to the limited memory available on the DNA... and a dedicated music player like the X5.. or even my Sansa Fuze just sound better.

If you feel like trying a new music player on a phone or tablet Neutron is insanely worth the $5. True audiophile grade player that gets updated fairly often due to an active community who feed the developer constant ideas. It is a very stable and mature player with extremely good sound.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #1,474 of 3,345
  For those using Viso with a phone, do you use a portable DAC as well, or rely on the built in DAC of your phone?

Also, is anyone using this with a DAP - Fiio X5 or Ibasso DX90? How does it sound?

Unless your phone has a true digital out there is no way to bypass the built in DAC anyway. I would assume some phones do have a true digital out. Sadly not my Z10 which is excellent sounding anyway, espescially with Neutron installed as the player software.

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #1,477 of 3,345
I prefer the HP50 for both, only thing it lacks for me is comfort. The DT770 was much more comfortable but was too bassy for online gaming and couldnt match the balance, tonality and soundstage of the Nads.

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #1,478 of 3,345
I prefer the HP50 for both, only thing it lacks for me is comfort. The DT770 was much more comfortable but was too bassy for online gaming and couldnt match the balance, tonality and soundstage of the Nads.

Do you think they need amps at all? how is their positioning? the dt770 isnt more fun to play with? And how is the bass from hp50?

Have a nice day friend! thank you very much!

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #1,479 of 3,345

Do you think they need amps at all? how is their positioning? the dt770 isnt more fun to play with? And how is the bass from hp50?

The NADs don't need an amp at all, they are the easiest to drive of all my headphones. The bass is fabulous, with great extension, clarity and absolutely zero distortion and bloating.

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #1,480 of 3,345
The NADs don't need an amp at all, they are the easiest to drive of all my headphones. The bass is fabulous, with great extension, clarity and absolutely zero distortion and bloating.

Amazing to know that, i guess everyone buys at USA here right? im looking for an store that sells it at germany, prefference at Munich or something.

And the Sony MDR-1RB, its not worth? in Germany they are a lot cheaper. They are good for gaming? how is the earpads? ( i have average-big ears)

Thank you very much for the infos!

Cheers

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #1,481 of 3,345

Amazing to know that, i guess everyone buys at USA here right? im looking for an store that sells it at germany, prefference at Munich or something.

And the Sony MDR-1RB, its not worth? in Germany they are a lot cheaper. They are good for gaming? how is the earpads? ( i have average-big ears)

Cheers
UK here, so mostly having to pay the highest prices for everything, as usual! Sorry, I have no experience with the Sonys. I mostly use my Sennheiser HD598 for gaming.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #1,482 of 3,345

Cheers

I am from Czech rep. and I ordered my pair from amazon.de (Hamburg). Used but like new for 170 euro. Local store offer new for 300 euro :)

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #1,483 of 3,345

Both sound great without an amp but a good amp can definitely help get that little bit extra out of them. the dt770 is a fun sound with a greater bass impact and extension than the hp50s but I find the bass a bit too much for first person shooters. The hp50s bass is more balanced to my ears and doesn't over power the other sounds as much when the action heats up, Positioning is ok for closed back cans, the dt770 maybe slightly better as it offers a larger soundstage.

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #1,485 of 3,345
I'd like to get a coiled cable for these headphones.

I am used to the coiled cable on my Sony MDR-V6; I could get up and turn off the lights or get something out of my closet without taking the headphones off first. The other thing about a coiled cable is that I can feel how much length is left in the cord based on the amount of tension pulling against my head.

The HP50 cable is short and I have yanked the cable out of my amp more than once just by moving a few feet away. What I'm really afraid of is the headphones falling off of my head and onto the floor -- the finish on these headphones looks fragile and scratch-able.

I see cheapo coiled cables on Monoprice and I'm wondering if they would be adequate. I know I've read posts on this forum indicating that choice of cable is a factor in audio quality, so I don't want to nerf my headphones by way of cable. I am willing to spend more than a couple bucks; I just don't know where to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back