NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
May 29, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #1,081 of 3,345
  What I was looking for I'm afraid I could only describe in an ambiguous manner because I'm a novice.  I would sum it up this way:  Mids and highs of Grado SR80, a tad less sharp but clearer.  Plus bass a la ATH-M50, but not so much that it would eat up the mids.  More bass extension and wider sound stage, if possible.

I've tried and returned half-a-dozen cans.  Senn Amperior and Momentum over-ear didn't impress me.  Yamaha something-huge was returned the next day.  Tried B&W P7, they're not for me and too expensive too.  ATH-A900X was suggested to me in some other forums, but I was iffy on its double-wing headband type.

After reading many rave reviews here and elsewhere, I bought NAD Viso HP50 yesterday.  I was impressed.  After just three to four hours of listening with iPhone5, I am sold!  Can't wait to try these babies through my Maverick D1+ over the weekend.
My search is over.  
atsmile.gif

(Oh, wait, a minor gripe:  What's up with the squarey-curve corner of the headband?)

I think by squaring off the headband they allow for more even pressure across the entire can on your head rather than more pressure at the bottom than the top. At least that is what I've heard.

May 29, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #1,082 of 3,345
I just couldn't find a good compromise of comfort, fit, and bass response, so I've just put mine up for sale.  So much depends upon your head size and shape!

May 29, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #1,083 of 3,345
Originally Posted by Astropin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you want super exciting, in your face, artificially bright sound......these are not your cans. If you want full bodied clean comfortable and natural; while still being dynamic sound......these are your headphones

Absolutely. That about sums it up!

May 30, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #1,084 of 3,345
Getting better as they get burned-in. Or, maybe my ears are getting more in love with these cans. :-D.

Surprised how varied the price can be. I paid Can$279 @ BBR Toronto. That's 154 Brit Pounds. Some peeps paid 230 Pounds? Wow! And I thought we are getting shafted here in Canada.

May 30, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #1,085 of 3,345
Getting better as they get burned-in. Or, maybe my ears are getting more in love with these cans. :-D.

Surprised how varied the price can be. I paid Can$279 @ BBR Toronto. That's 154 Brit Pounds. Some peeps paid 230 Pounds? Wow! And I thought we are getting shafted here in Canada.

Yeah, that's what always happens in Europe, or at least in UK. Taxes push prices up by a lot.

May 31, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #1,086 of 3,345
I am always on the lookout for a good pair of portable cans. Among my favorites are the Senn Momentums but the ear cups are not large enough to fit around my larger than average ears and as a consequence, they are not comfortable for long listening sessions. Can someone please share the dimensions (length and width) between the ear cups on the NAD VISOs? CMs or inches, whatever is more convenient for you. Thanks!

May 31, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,087 of 3,345
I am always on the lookout for a good pair of portable cans. Among my favorites are the Senn Momentums but the ear cups are not large enough to fit around my larger than average ears and as a consequence, they are not comfortable for long listening sessions. Can someone please share the dimensions (length and width) between the ear cups on the NAD VISOs? CMs or inches, whatever is more convenient for you. Thanks!

try the search this thread function at the top

hint post # in the 700 range 
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #1,088 of 3,345

I'm in the same boat, and have some HP50s on order currently. 

I tried the Senn Momentums and liked the sound, though they were a touch bass heavy, but couldn't listen for extended periods due to pressure on my ears.

Just got done returning the B&W P7s. They were reasonably comfortable (a bit much on clamping force) but sounded like crap to me. They REALLY EQed the bass to be heavy on them, and as a result washed out or altered a lot of the mid-range. I was not impressed with how they sounded at all. I also may try the B&O H6. Just not sure yet.

May 31, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #1,089 of 3,345
I just had a little shoot out with the NAD HP50 (which I intented to buy), the Beoplay H6 and my trusty Heir 8.A. After a number of back and forth comparisons listening to the same well known tracks on my DX90 I ended up buying the HP6, despite the 100quid i had to pay more compared to the NAD. Why? I like sparkling, clean, crystal clear highs, and only the H6 delivered that. The bass sounded too thick when going back to the 8.A and with the NAD, it was roughly on the same level as the H6 minus the clear highs. Soundstage was excellent on both the HP50 and the H6. Lots of microdetail on both.
I even discovered some new details in well known tracks again on my way back on the train with 73dB background noise. So the H6 really excel in detail and clarity IMHO.
The H6 has that clean, crisp neutral sound I came to love on my B&W home speakers. This is what i looked for all along. A portable version of my home speakers.
Only the H6 finally was able to deliver IMHO, after trying 8.A CIEMs, Sennheiser HD 530 II, 600 and the NAD HP50.

I just love crystal clear and sparkling sound.:wink:

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #1,090 of 3,345
kennyboy2, here ya go.  sorry for my not-so-smart way of measuring.  i can't even find a ruler here  :)  

clearance is 2.5" x 1.5".  i have big ears, their top and bottom tips touch the cups but i don't even notice.  depth of cup pads is .5", of course they get pressed when you're wearing the headphones.  still very comfy, all in all.

http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/katoboii2013/media/nad_cups_zpsc2dfb82d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #1,091 of 3,345
Also try this link where Tyll Hertsens does a size comparison with the Momentums as well.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-strike-zone-focal-spirit-professional-and-spirit-classic

kennyboy2, here ya go.  sorry for my not-so-smart way of measuring.  i can't even find a ruler here  :)  

clearance is 2.5" x 1.5".  i have big ears, their top and bottom tips touch the cups but i don't even notice.  depth of cup pads is .5", of course they get pressed when you're wearing the headphones.  still very comfy, all in all.

http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/katoboii2013/media/nad_cups_zpsc2dfb82d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,092 of 3,345
I had a 2nd listen to the HP50 today and it was more comfortable than the first listen so I think the cups were not broken in on the pair I initially heard. This pair was very comfortable.

Sound wise I wish it had deeper sub-bass but I do really like the mids and treble. I have to admit I am tempted to buy a pair...

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #1,093 of 3,345
Also try this link where Tyll Hertsens does a size comparison with the Momentums as well.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-strike-zone-focal-spirit-professional-and-spirit-classic

Thanks Fangs and ashutoshp. My ears are about 70CM/2.75"' in height so it looks like the NAD would be a big improvement over the Momentum but could still be pretty snug.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,094 of 3,345
Jun 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #1,095 of 3,345
My ears measured tip-to-tip are 2 11/16" (68mm).  I didn't even know my ears, lengthwise, are bigger than the inside of the ear cups until now after I measured.  The tips touch the cups but still very comfy I can wear these cans for hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back