NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jan 26, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #633 of 3,345
Try the K545 first :) Unless you prefer a warmer signature and less soundstage.

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #635 of 3,345
Try the K545 first :) Unless you prefer a warmer signature and less soundstage.

I had K550 which is a full size unlike K545 and it still hadn't had the soundstage of HP50. I never thought HP50 sound warm either. Like everything sound, all of it very subjective of course, also depends on an original recording. 
The reason I bought K550 initially because my favorite open headphone is K702, I understood that K550 closed and will not have a soundstage like K702, but they disappointed me a lot because they sounded great, but there wasn't a trace of soundstage. HP50 on the other hand has a very good soundstage, not a great one like K702 but still very comparable.
Just like some crave bass I crave soundstage and to me good and excellent headphones divide into 2 categories, ones that have great sound and other that have great sound and soundstage. Momentum, which I also tried has a great sound, but no soundstage like HP50, same goes for Grado headphones, which I love for the sound they produce. HP50 ended my 3 year long search for a closed headphone with a soundstage that I can use during my commute, I also pull them out of my bag when I feel like listening something at night and do not want to disturb my family.

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #636 of 3,345
Yep, i was talking about Momentum vs k545. The soundstage of the Nad is ok IMO, but sound unrealistic to me. Eeerh, yes, this can sounds very special. But fun, certainly. But I even prefer the k701 even if it gives the feeling of being far behind the stage and seems to focus on anything... Momentum sounds ok but too warm to me (and the nad too). I like the k445, better than k550 ... So... In summary yes the Nad is fun but i found the k545 to be more realistic. (Sorry for my crap english i'm french :)

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #637 of 3,345
...Finally i think that the sound of the Nad is a 'hate or love' thing. It is special but if you like it, great because it have very good aspects (punch, isolation, soundstage and details) But again, too warm, irrealistic and fatiguing to me (Looks like he does too much, as a good student who would make a dissertation of 10 pages instead of 4.:wink: (I am fan of Nad otherwise, as you can see in my signature)

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #638 of 3,345
  I needed a closed headphone for airplane travel. I bought both the Bose QC3 and the NADHP50.  The Bose isolates better and actually sounds pretty good, but has a bass that is a little too much and not the tightest. The NAD has much better bass and better highs so I am going to keep these. The Isolation is very good not like Bose, but I think good enough. I will just turn the vol. up a little more to compensate. I think these NAD's sound better than my Ultrasone Sig. Pros. By the way my source is the HIFIMAN 901.

I highly disagree. Sig Pros have so much more details in the sound than the NAD HP50.

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #640 of 3,345
  Sig Pro's measures considerable worse than the HP50 despite costing far more. I believe the HP50 sounds cleaner with better accuracy despite costing less.

That's par for the course with Ultrasone. 
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #643 of 3,345
Can anyone make a comparison between the HP50 and any of these 3 headphones, just in terms of sound quality...        Shure SRH940, Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 or the AKG K550?
I'm trying to choose a closed-back model mainly for at-home listening, and I want to keep to a budget of $300AUS if possible. My at-home listening set-up currently is HE-500, Audio-GD SA-31SE, M2Tech Hiface and lap-top. On the whole, I'm quite content with this rig, it's just that I have a tendency to get tempted to turn the volume up evidently a little too loud at times. I've had tinnitus permanently since I first got a bit carried away when testing how a DT990 sound when you actually turn them up loud enough to enjoy the midrange (about a year or so ago), and this seems to be my major issue with open back headphones... the bar has been lifted in terms of the level of detail and instrument separation that I crave now, but even though I don't think I ever turn them up stupidly loud these days, I'm often torn between being careful not to risk exacerbating my tinnitus and having the music at a level where you feel immersed in the music in the same way as listening to a good stereo system. So my next headphone purchase will be of the sealed cup variety.
I have auditioned and was impressed with the SRH940 and the ATH-ESW9. Decided against picking up the Shures because I wanted a bit more weight in the bass and couldn't go for the Audio-Technica's because I thought durability wasn't good enough for a portable phone. I mentioned the K550 because I think it could be another viable option in the price range.
I would describe myself as a bass-head but I demand a good level of detail and a fully 'rounded' sound. If I can't have a basshead can that is also a genuine audiophile performer within this budget, then I'll settle for a more neutral headphone - as long as it does have punch to the bass and can do sub-bass. Definitely wouldn't be happy with something on the bass-light side of neutral. The opinions on the bass of the HP50 seem to vary quite a bit from what I've read. Obviously there's little doubt that they offer good value for money. 
I also own IE80s (which I love) and QuietComfort 2. Thanks a lot (in advance) for any opinions/comparisons.
I might use the cans outside the house from time to time but portability isn't a priority at all.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #644 of 3,345
  Can anyone make a comparison between the HP50 and any of these 3 headphones, just in terms of sound quality...        Shure SRH940, Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 or the AKG K550?
I'm trying to choose a closed-back model mainly for at-home listening, and I want to keep to a budget of $300AUS if possible. My at-home listening set-up currently is HE-500, Audio-GD SA-31SE, M2Tech Hiface and lap-top. On the whole, I'm quite content with this rig, it's just that I have a tendency to get tempted to turn the volume up evidently a little too loud at times. I've had tinnitus permanently since I first got a bit carried away when testing how a DT990 sound when you actually turn them up loud enough to enjoy the midrange (about a year or so ago), and this seems to be my major issue with open back headphones... the bar has been lifted in terms of the level of detail and instrument separation that I crave now, but even though I don't think I ever turn them up stupidly loud these days, I'm often torn between being careful not to risk exacerbating my tinnitus and having the music at a level where you feel immersed in the music in the same way as listening to a good stereo system. So my next headphone purchase will be of the sealed cup variety.
I have auditioned and was impressed with the SRH940 and the ATH-ESW9. Decided against picking up the Shures because I wanted a bit more weight in the bass and couldn't go for the Audio-Technica's because I thought durability wasn't good enough for a portable phone. I mentioned the K550 because I think it could be another viable option in the price range.
I would describe myself as a bass-head but I demand a good level of detail and a fully 'rounded' sound. If I can't have a basshead can that is also a genuine audiophile performer within this budget, then I'll settle for a more neutral headphone - as long as it does have punch to the bass and can do sub-bass. Definitely wouldn't be happy with something on the bass-light side of neutral. The opinions on the bass of the HP50 seem to vary quite a bit from what I've read. Obviously there's little doubt that they offer good value for money. 
I also own IE80s (which I love) and QuietComfort 2. Thanks a lot (in advance) for any opinions/comparisons.
I might use the cans outside the house from time to time but portability isn't a priority at all.

You consider yourself a bass head, but want refinement? AKG K545 is awaiting your purchase.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #645 of 3,345
I recommend the K545 as it will give you more bass than the 940 and K550 while retaining a good midrange and not as strong a treble for long listening sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back