NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jan 18, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #572 of 3,345
Okay, I don't know what's going on. I started out with the Senn Momentum (over ear) around Christmas time for a light, portable, slightly warmish set of cans. Sounded good demoing and got it home, enjoyed it but quickly lost its charm. Then, I finally got a chance to demo the HP50s and really loved the sound signature. Out go the Mos and in come the HP50s.

Took a while for the HP50s to arrive and have been spending that time listening to a lot of open cans (T90, X1). HP50s finally arrive and they sound so veiled, compressed. So, I burn them in for a few days and they do open up a bit...

But not enough. Now, I might have spoiled myself with all those open cans, but even my M100s sound more airy and open. I'd hate to chalk it up to a bad pair and wait for another pair.

Meanwhile, I'm really just looking for a pair to travel with and am really contemplating just exchanging these for a pair of P5s. Is that blasphemy? The clamping force on these aren't the best either, not to mention the look. I also thought about the Mad Dogs, but it seems I'd be spending quite a bit more and it'd also be a blind buy (deaf buy?).

Anybody prefer the P5s over the HP50s? Any others I should consider?

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #574 of 3,345
OK, First Off....
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

You're listening to a VERY 'British' sounding headphone.
Compared to my Grado SR60's and my Shure SE535's there is absolutely ZERO similarity.
These are extremely nice and polite, not in your face with an aggressive attack like most American made headphones have.
Also I think you're getting used to the 'Roomfeel' technology.
Also I'm listening to them through and extraordinary source... and Astell&Kern AK120 with ALL FLAC FILES.
If you're in any way listening to MP3's on an iPhone.... that will about cover it. :"(

Mine have been used for two months and they're smoother than ever.

You MAY want to exchange them fro another pair...they're very very new, two months ago they were almost impossible to find.
I've also read ONE review, where the brother, hated them, and exchanged them for another pair of the same.
According to him the difference was amazing.

Just my 2 cents worth.
John Sharpe/Sharpeshots.com

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #575 of 3,345
Jan 18, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #576 of 3,345
Okay, I don't know what's going on. I started out with the Senn Momentum (over ear) around Christmas time for a light, portable, slightly warmish set of cans. Sounded good demoing and got it home, enjoyed it but quickly lost its charm. Then, I finally got a chance to demo the HP50s and really loved the sound signature. Out go the Mos and in come the HP50s.

Took a while for the HP50s to arrive and have been spending that time listening to a lot of open cans (T90, X1). HP50s finally arrive and they sound so veiled, compressed. So, I burn them in for a few days and they do open up a bit...

But not enough. Now, I might have spoiled myself with all those open cans, but even my M100s sound more airy and open. I'd hate to chalk it up to a bad pair and wait for another pair.

Meanwhile, I'm really just looking for a pair to travel with and am really contemplating just exchanging these for a pair of P5s. Is that blasphemy? The clamping force on these aren't the best either, not to mention the look. I also thought about the Mad Dogs, but it seems I'd be spending quite a bit more and it'd also be a blind buy (deaf buy?).

Anybody prefer the P5s over the HP50s? Any others I should consider?

why not just use the m100s for portable?

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #577 of 3,345
Jan 18, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #579 of 3,345
Jan 18, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #581 of 3,345
Jan 18, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #583 of 3,345
Thanks, never tried them...will have to find a place to audition.

you can also check the sony MDR's 1rs and 10
the skullcandy aviators.
beats version 2 eminem version (still not the best for the money but actually sound ok)
yamaha pro 500
onkyo
AT ath es700
kef m500

sorry for the double post. but i wanted to give you some more options and make this harder for you
o2smile.gif

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #584 of 3,345
Whoa, now you're going overboard. :D

The KEF M500 was another I considered, but have disliked/eliminated them the more I've read about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back