NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Mar 25, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #1,846 of 3,345
NAD drivers emit sound in just one direction--towards ears. So no acoustic reactions and bouncing frequencies to take care of as in the case of other drivers. Looking at Tyll's pictures of a stripped down HP50, the NAD drivers are like mini speakers the size exactly of the back metal plate with magnets circling the metal plate.

??? I don't think it's what TMRaven meant. In the video that has Jude and Paul Barton in it and also the one at innerfidelity with Tyll, Paul Barton talks of how he (or they) worked hard on making a good structure inside the drivers so that the sound does not get messed up the way that TMRaven said can happen.
Also, no space is still something to think of when making closed-backs I believe compared to a open-back design.
Heck, even open backs' metal mesh or whatever is put behind makes a difference (much like loudspeaker damping I guess (room treatment?)).

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #1,847 of 3,345
??? I don't think it's what TMRaven meant. In the video that has Jude and Paul Barton in it and also the one at innerfidelity with Tyll, Paul Barton talks of how he (or they) worked hard on making a good structure inside the drivers so that the sound does not get messed up the way that TMRaven said can happen.
Also, no space is still something to think of when making closed-backs I believe compared to a open-back design.
Heck, even open backs' metal mesh or whatever is put behind makes a difference (much like loudspeaker damping I guess (room treatment?)).

I'm saying the NAD drivers are way different because it only throws/leaks sound forward (towards ears), not forward and back like regular dynamic and ortho drivers. So it really is like regular speakers. So it doesn't get affected as much by being closed or open backed like the regular drivers. I think this is why it's so realistic and natural, and similar to speakers.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #1,848 of 3,345
For anyone looking at best synergy with the NAD HP50, try the iFi nano iDSD. Just great. Really great. Had the time to really use the two critically and they just sound wonderful together with the iPhone 6 Plus and Onkyo HD Player app.

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #1,849 of 3,345
For anyone looking at best synergy with the NAD HP50, try the iFi nano iDSD. Just great. Really great. Had the time to really use the two critically and they just sound wonderful together with the iPhone 6 Plus and Onkyo HD Player app.

Ever tried them with the Chord Hugo Diamondears?

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #1,850 of 3,345
Ever tried them with the Chord Hugo Diamondears?

No, not yet. Looking forward to demoing it when I go abroad. Can't find any in my location. Too expensive, moreso without hearing it first. When I get bored on my current gears, would certainly consider it, though it looks like that's still too far away. What I have now are quite excellent. Back when I was considering the Hugo, I ended up buying HPs. I think it's my Audiolab that makes it redundant for me. Then for portable I have the iFi stuff, including the iFi micro iDSD, which many finds equally good if not better.

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #1,851 of 3,345
Just received a pair of these today. Got them for a pretty good price from someone who bought them in January. So I get nearly the entire 2 year warranty.

So after about 3 hours of listening, I am pretty impressed. Soundwise, my impressions track most peoples. Smooth top end. Not to die for resolving but you hear pretty much everything. Mids are liquid and seductive. Very good well balanced bass. Much better than the t51p which I found way too bassy. Sound is way more refined than the not bad sounding QC25s that I have been using for travel. They also sound better in the wind than the QC25s. The fit is a little tricky. The clamping force is ok and the ear pads are pretty good three hours in. But the bar across the top of my head needs very careful placement. I now know I have a slight dip just behind the crown of my head that if I place these just right seems to fit in ok. If I miss it, then it is a little painful. What have other people found works for position? Has anyone tried adding extra padding? AT least for now it seems ok. Will see in a few more hours. Best sound I have ever heard for what I paid :)

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #1,852 of 3,345
Due to receive mine this week. Really looking forward to giving them an airing. Are you using them with a portable source? How do they compare to yoru HD800s (I know, there's probably no comparison but thought I'd ask)

I'm a wee bit worried about the head band since I'm essentially bald. I'm keen to discover any tips on improving/modding the band for more comfort. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #1,853 of 3,345
  Just received a pair of these today. Got them for a pretty good price from someone who bought them in January. So I get nearly the entire 2 year warranty.

So after about 3 hours of listening, I am pretty impressed. Soundwise, my impressions track most peoples. Smooth top end. Not to die for resolving but you hear pretty much everything. Mids are liquid and seductive. Very good well balanced bass. Much better than the t51p which I found way too bassy. Sound is way more refined than the not bad sounding QC25s that I have been using for travel. They also sound better in the wind than the QC25s. The fit is a little tricky. The clamping force is ok and the ear pads are pretty good three hours in. But the bar across the top of my head needs very careful placement. I now know I have a slight dip just behind the crown of my head that if I place these just right seems to fit in ok. If I miss it, then it is a little painful. What have other people found works for position? Has anyone tried adding extra padding? AT least for now it seems ok. Will see in a few more hours. Best sound I have ever heard for what I paid :)

Mids and everything else is really well balanced on this, very good headphone for the price I paid.If you find this brand new / used for $200 ish, it's an excellent headphone or best valued headphone IMO.  Unfortunately after wearing for 15 mins or so my head hurts, I suggest to add a thicker pads.

Due to receive mine this week. Really looking forward to giving them an airing. Are you using them with a portable source? How do they compare to yoru HD800s (I know, there's probably no comparison but thought I'd ask)

I'm a wee bit worried about the head band since I'm essentially bald. I'm keen to discover any tips on improving/modding the band for more comfort. 

Really no comparison between HP50 vs HD800, HD800 owns :) but for $200-$300 it's pretty good !
I was going to sell my TH900 and HD800 after hearing HP50 because for the price I paid and I don't think HD800 and TH900 worth extra $1000 if you are looking to upgrade from low-end headphone.

From my opinion, best value headphones are really the middle tier headphones like HE500, HE560, LCD2, HD650, etc.

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #1,854 of 3,345
Mids and everything else is really well balanced on this, very good headphone for the price I paid.If you find this brand new / used for $200 ish, it's an excellent headphone or best valued headphone IMO.  Unfortunately after wearing for 15 mins or so my head hurts, I suggest to add a thicker pads.

Really no comparison between HP50 vs HD800, HD800 owns :) but for $200-$300 it's pretty good !
I was going to sell my TH900 and HD800 after hearing HP50 because for the price I paid and I don't think HD800 and TH900 worth extra $1000 if you are looking to upgrade from low-end headphone.

From my opinion, best value headphones are really the middle tier headphones like HE500, HE560, LCD2, HD650, etc.

Haven't heard an HD-800. Could you kindly post a detailed comparison between the two?

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #1,855 of 3,345

Well, the 800s are way better. Much better imaging, soundstage, detail retrieval, decay, treble, bass, mids and comfort. As a value proposition the HP50s are better, but that is true as you move up the audiophile chain. For me the HD800s are totally worth it, the only headphones that compare are TOTLs. But I travel a lot and I need a good portable rig, that is travel friendly. The QC25s are fantastic in a noisy environment, but I wanted another pair for more critical listening. If I don't comapre them to the HD800s, the HP50s sound totally great in their own closed back headphone sort of way.

Today I ran the HP50s out of my galaxy note 4, it was totally groovy :). I have a nano idsd as a traveling companion, but it broke and is getting fixed by IFI. I did stick the HP50s into a Lehman BCL and yes they sounded better than out of the phone. Not way better, but just a bit fuller and better at everything it already does well.

For comfort, I did wear these for over 4 hours and no big problems, but it was tricky to find the right way to place them on top of my head. My suggestion is to extend the cups out down enough so that the bar across the top is only lightly resting on your head. That was three clicks in my case. At first I thought these would become uncomfortable rather quickly, but with a bit of fiddling it worked ok. I even bopped around the yard doing light yardwork and the stayed on.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #1,856 of 3,345
Been looking to upgrade my Sony MDR-7506, and after hearing the first gen Momentums, I think a warm-sounding headphone is what I prefer.  I'd like something that isn't harsh/fatiguing, with a nice lush mid-range, these NADs seem like a good choice.

Comfort is important though and I am wondering how these feel for longer listening periods?  The headband is a bit funky looking, but it's growing on me, and these have gotten glowing reviews from pretty much everyone that hears them.

Also has anyone experienced any quality issues with the plastic?  These won't be used on the go, but I'd like something that doesn't creek or get worn out.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #1,857 of 3,345
  Comfort is important though and I am wondering how these feel for longer listening periods?  The headband is a bit funky looking, but it's growing on me, and these have gotten glowing reviews from pretty much everyone that hears them.

Also has anyone experienced any quality issues with the plastic?  These won't be used on the go, but I'd like something that doesn't creek or get worn out.

My open cans are HD600, so the HP50 feels somewhat cramping in comparison, but I find them comfortable enough. I don't have any problem with the headband. I've had two pairs, and the first creaked at one of the hinges, but the second is silent. My only complaint is the rustling noise the cable makes whenever it brushes against something.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #1,858 of 3,345

My open cans are HD600, so the HP50 feels somewhat cramping in comparison, but I find them comfortable enough. I don't have any problem with the headband. I've had two pairs, and the first creaked at one of the hinges, but the second is silent. My only complaint is the rustling noise the cable makes whenever it brushes against something.

Have you tried the B&W P7?  They seem to have a similar shaped/size ear cup and I wasn't a big fan of how they fit (cramped is how I would describe the P7s).

Build quality is important, my Sonys are very solid, the creaking would definitely bother me (seems to be one of the biggest knocks on the HP50s).

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,859 of 3,345
Build quality seems commensurate with the price point, i.e. good. Mine creak a little, but not often and that includes during light yard work. I have had them on for about 5+ hours, today. Comfort is ok, again similar to others at this price. I found Momentums Over Ear & Sony MDR 1R to be more comfy though. As with any over ear they got hot in the sun...
  Been looking to upgrade my Sony MDR-7506, and after hearing the first gen Momentums, I think a warm-sounding headphone is what I prefer.  I'd like something that isn't harsh/fatiguing, with a nice lush mid-range, these NADs seem like a good choice.

For your stated sound preference these should do the trick. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,860 of 3,345
  Build quality seems commensurate with the price point, i.e. good. Mine creak a little, but not often and that includes during light yard work. I have had them on for about 5+ hours, today. Comfort is ok, again similar to others at this price. I found Momentums Over Ear & Sony MDR 1R to be more comfy though. As with any over ear they got hot in the sun...

For your stated sound preference these should do the trick. 

These would be used in an office, so not moving around, maybe the creaking won't be much of an issue for me.  Glad to hear they are fairly comfortable, I am going to listen to the Momentum M2 today, our Best Buy finally got them in, and will see how they fit.  These seem like a great choice though.  Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back