NAD sound signature possible in can amps under $1K ?
Jan 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Norfones

New Head-Fier
Although I am a new poster, I have lurked the forums for quite some time and feel confident that this is the place to get some answers. I am just a bit lost on what to ask about. Most of my audio experience has been in the full size systems/speakers world, so naturally, I am kinda starting all over again with the learning curve. Problem is, I just do not have the patience to spend the YEARS on trial and error that the former hobby required. See, where I reside, audio dealers are at a minimum, and high quality, audiophile approved headphone amps (aside from Guitar Center) is a whopping zero.

I know what sound I prefer, but finding it in the headphone world seems to be much tougher. Headphones are all about more detail regardless of the price range due to no room interactions before reaching the ears. There does seem to be differences in can sound signatures from brand to brand, but it appears that the better (pricier) the can, even more of the detail. I started years ago with Grado SR60's (loved them, but painful to wear for extended periods) and then purchased SR125's (highly rated), but the lack of 60's warmth and portrayal of extra detail made them just a bit to bright for my tastes. Sold them both. Next up was ATH AD700's (again highly rated) excellent soundstage, ultra-comfortable but kinda too clean (no warmth?) and bass light. So, picked up AT M50's. Better bass (muddy because of this I think) but closed can sound and comfort just not my thing. Also realized that AT sound might not be for me. Sold them. Senn HD595 came in most recently with better overall balance, and good comfort but still maybe a bit cleaner (less warmth) than I would prefer.

The one constant recently has been my Corda Headfive amp which has been used with both AT's and HD595's. One thing I have become aware of is how the H5 is perhaps adding to the clean presentation of the music. It is definitely a quality can amp, but organic realism it just does not do. So what is a guy to do for amplification that actually gives a more full bodied, organic, realism to the music. If anyone is familiar with NAD amps, the term "roundness of tone" should be easily identifiable. I sold my NAD equipment some time back and purchased a hybrid integrated amp that had that same NAD signature but on a much higher level with more of an organic quality where the tone of instrunents and voices were more believable. Since that purchase, my buying and selling equipment has almost ceased entirely. So naturally, that is what I am looking for with my phone set up. Realistic, organic presentation like live, in the flesh music..."roundness of tone". Too much detail and clean deliveries seems to make everything come across as hi-def musical pictures on a flat back drop with not much dimensionality. Along with this comes the inability to just enjoy the music because of all the sounds.

Please tell me someone understands what I am trying to say here
confused.gif
 Can anyone relate to the NAD experience? Are there any can amps with similar characteristics? If it helps, I am considering moving further up the Senn ladder to the HD650's. I just wanted to see if there were any amps in the under $1K range (prefer $500-$700 range) that would fit my tastes first. I have been thinking that the Burson, PS Audio, and maybe the Elekit had something to offer but without auditioning (again, hard to do) I can only go by other's impressions. I apologize for the lengthy post, but after reading hundreds of posts here, I felt it best to try to give as much info as possible. Thanks for the time taken to read and I look forward to any responses.

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 5
I didnt like any of the NAD amps I auditioned a year or so ago, but that was from the headphone out (Grado SR325is and AKG K601). Personally, I want a headphone amp that has the Marantz house sound - warm, dynamic and instantly musical. We are all chasing something here - good luck with your search.

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the response. I'm glad to hear of your success with your DIY. I'm trying to avoid spending too much time experimenting, so a turn key box is what I'm after. Hopefully other NAD users can advise as well. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 5
estreeter, although the headphone out jack of my NAD had a pleasantly rich sound, I didn't listen to it very long through my phones, so I'm not sure if there is a huge difference over their amps speaker outs. All I do know is that the rich, punchy, refined nature that the music is presented through speakers was always enjoyable. Want some of that for can use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back