NAD/PSB RoomFeel and 5.1 audio
Sep 19, 2018 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

noob00224

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am interested in getting a pair of NAD HP 70 (or PSB M4U 8) for movies/TV, which would include a lot of 5.1 content.
Currently I am using the Dolby Headphone on my Xonar DGX.

The headsets have a DSP feature (RoomFeel) that makes the audio sound like listened in an actual room whenever ANC is activated (which I want to use).

The reviews talk about RoomFeel working well with music only, so 2 channels. How would it react if it were beeing fed 6 or 8 channels?
Dolby Headphone has a 5.1 and 7.1 setting for 5.1/7.1 input audio channels specifically, but I can't find any info on how RoomFeel would handle it.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 7
I spoke to someone at NAD, this is the answer I got:
Be advised that the RoomFeel feature is an adjustment of the low end of the Frequency Response. Surround material does not extend into the lower Frequencies where this adjustment is taking place, as Bass is not directional.

Is this right? The DSP on the Xonar affects other frequencies.
In the 7.1 option I can move the placement of the subwoffer, so I don't know how it would interfere with the DSP.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 7
I can't help you with these sets but the PSB M4U1 has a big soundstage which is more deep than wide. Very 3D like... I was skepticl of the room feel tech but it actually works to a good extent

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 7
Is this right? The DSP on the Xonar affects other frequencies.
In the 7.1 option I can move the placement of the subwoffer, so I don't know how it would interfere with the DSP.

The DSP on the Xonar isn't just EQ affecting frequencies either. It's taking a 5.1 signal, applying its own type of Crossfeed so it isn't hard panned to each side on a headphone where each ear hears only the same side driver plus some kind of revern simulation so the sound seems like it's coming from farther away, ie, like speakers in a room where you don't hear just the direct sound of the speakers but their in-room sound.

That sub placement option tweaks the timing, gain, and reverb effect on the bass frequencies.

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 7
@harry501501 Have you tried the headset with some 5.1/7.1 content. If yes, how is the 3d?
@ProtegeManiac I asked because it's strange that NAD's response is that only the low end frequency is modified, when in order to get the 3d effect you would need to play with the rest as well.

And I just clarified that it's a lot more than just modifying the frequency response curve on the rest of the range when doing 2ch surround simulation, unlike bass that can move forward or back just by boosting it.

You can try that even without surround simulation. Boost the bass response and the bass guitar and bass drum move forward.

DO the same thing at the treble and the cymbals move forward and outward without Crossfeed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back