NAD Model 16 (vintage 1975) review
Apr 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #16 of 37
I didn't realize NAD was ever in the headphone business.  Looking forward to their upcoming re-entry with the Viso HP50.

I'm also wondering what their new headphone will sound like but IMO the vintage NADs look way better than the Viso HP50, which is IMO rather ugly :)

Here's both my NADs.:D

Wow, your Model 16 does indeed look a little different than mine. I wonder if they are the same on the inside... I've also heard really good things about the RP18 that you have, is this the Kapton or Mylar version?

nice review and how much is the headphone? really like the way it looks

Well, I paid 60$ for mine, which I think is a rather nice price considering their condition.

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #17 of 37
I believe its the mylar version.  I dont know much about it other than its basically a Fostex T50 rebrand.  Much less on how to get it to sound properly.  So somebody helped me mod them.  The stock sound on the RP18 was already good, but modded this sounds just as good as a LCD-3 said the person who modded them.  So I saved a ton of money to get LCD-3 sound. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #19 of 37
True, but when opportunity presents itself its hard to argue with 200 vs 2000. If I've learned from the beginning that modded phones, specially orthos can sound like totl phones, I could have saved me a lot of money that could have been gone for amps or dacs. Bur I guess this is how this hobby works. The hard way.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:
Well, I paid 60$ for mine, which I think is a rather nice price considering their condition.

Only $60??? Geez. I love the vintage stuff, that design is a killer.. This was a great review.. glad it was on the front page of Head-fi. Always fun looking into the past. Cheers bud!

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:
Here's both my NADs.
biggrin.gif

Bed Bath and Beyond mugrack? I just traded mine in last week to look for something more forgiving on the headband.. But man they look good with your NADs though bro.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #24 of 37
Only $60??? Geez. I love the vintage stuff, that design is a killer.. This was a great review.. glad it was on the front page of Head-fi. Always fun looking into the past. Cheers bud!

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that it was featured on the front page (I have the forums bookmarked, not the front page). Makes me feel very happy indeed :cool:

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #25 of 37
OMG! I remember these headphones! I used these at the music school back when I was learning to play the piano! I HATED them because they were incredibly uncomfortable. After 10-15 minutes my ears hurt so bad I just wanted to throw them away (another kid once did and nothing happened to them; they are actually very well constructed). I was too young and my ears so sore that I didn't care that much about sound quality.  Now that I look at them again I see how beautiful they are, but taking a closer look at those super shallow and hard ear pads makes me fell chills down my spine. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #26 of 37
 Now that I look at them again I see how beautiful they are, but taking a closer look at those super shallow and hard ear pads makes me fell chills down my spine. 

Did you try to fit your entire ears in those small holes? I find that when using them as supra-aurals (ie. the holes are situated on the ear canals, with the rest of the earpads touching the ears), they are quite comfortable, provided I'm not wearing glasses. The earpads on mine are also super-soft (softer than say an Audio Technica ATH-M50), so it is puzzling to me that you categorized them as 'hard'. Perhaps the ear pads get harder with use?

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:
Did you try to fit your entire ears in those small holes? I find that when using them as supra-aurals (ie. the holes are situated on the ear canals, with the rest of the earpads touching the ears), they are quite comfortable, provided I'm not wearing glasses. The earpads on mine are also super-soft (softer than say an Audio Technica ATH-M50), so it is puzzling to me that you categorized them as 'hard'. Perhaps the ear pads get harder with use?

I wear glasses haha, and even when I played from muscle memory I couldn't get them right; I've never had small ears. It was so long ago that I don't remember if they were better or worse than the Sony NC7, which are by far the most uncomfortable pair I've ever used. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back