NAD headphone out users? (past/present)
Jan 10, 2006 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Dhw

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone out there using the NAD headphone out for their headphones? There are some old posts on this but I figured I'd see if I could dredge up some more opinions. I'm considering upgrading my stereo amplifier, and was wondering how well the NAD integrated amplifiers/preamps deal with various headphones (and with what kinds it works best). I'm considering purchasing either a C352 or C372, and would have to sell my M3 to do so. I've tried the HD595 and HD555 through NAD amps, and was surprised at just how good they sounded. If anyone would care to share their other experiences, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 27
I own the 352, and I have spoken to other people who share the same experience, but the NAD integrated amp series mates very well with sennheiser headphones.

I have compared directly to headphone amps such as the rega ear, and a custom built meta42 design, and the NAD is certainly better imo.

The only headphone amp I'm looking at purchasing that sounded a lot better to my ears, is the GS-1 headphone amp/pre-amp, and replacing my 352 with a power amp or mono blocks, have not decided yet, this is still a lil down the road.

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 27
That sounds promising...as the K701s seem about as difficult to drive as the HD580s I previously had. I may have to wander on down to the local shop soon...

I have Paradigm Reference Studio 20s (v. 2) myself (I love the line...have you seen the birdseye maple finishes on the Paradigm Signature series?? wow!!!). Would you see any benefit in getting the C372 over the C352, aside from power, and the idea that the more power, the better?

-Doug-

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhw
That sounds promising...as the K701s seem about as difficult to drive as the HD580s I previously had. I may have to wander on down to the local shop soon...

I have Paradigm Reference Studio 20s (v. 2) myself (I love the line...have you seen the birdseye maple finishes on the Paradigm Signature series?? wow!!!). Would you see any benefit in getting the C372 over the C352, aside from power, and the idea that the more power, the better?

-Doug-

Yes, my local dealer has a room with all the sig series setup, honestly, a lil overpriced, but look amazing.

For the studio 20s, I would not go for the 372, the only difference I found, I demoed the 352 vs 372 with my studio 40s, and the main difference was bass response, overall SQ was equal. I don't think the 20s would really see much diff. I would just compare for yourself at your local dealer, and definetly bring in your headphones.

Edit: you might want to also ask what they think about replacing the pre-amp jumpers, I replaced mine with the tara labs RSC link jumper cable, it is worth the small price. You can use a short peice of interconnect also, audioquest also makes jumpers too.

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Yes, my local dealer has a room with all the sig series setup, honestly, a lil overpriced, but look amazing.

Yeah...the 20s I think were $2200!!! They didn't sound 4x as good as my Reference speakers though (an A/B would be interesting though...or could just make me want to spend more at some point...).

Quote:

For the studio 20s, I would not go for the 372, the only difference I found, I demoed the 352 vs 372 with my studio 40s, and the main difference was bass response, overall SQ was equal. I don't think the 20s would really see much diff. I would just compare for yourself at your local dealer, and definetly bring in your headphones.

That's actually what the salesman told me (the people at the local Boston place seem pretty trustworthy...unlike the place in CT where I originally bought things...that's a different story...). I just have to decide if that extra bass response is worth an extra 200 bucks or so (refurbished units). I imagine I'll upgrade my speakers at some point in the future...but I won't be seeing an apartment or house with large rooms for quite some time (currently in law school, but considering public interest law...good for the soul, bad for the bank account...)

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 27
LOL!! I'm a (former) NAD headphone jack listener...with my AKG K240's.

It's not bad, as headphone jacks go...I think it might have been a bit more than an afterthought. The older ones were better, but even their newer ones are A LOT better than I've heard from some of the newer integrated amps and preamps.

Jan 10, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom

Haha...Cue supportive group response: "Hi, elrod-tom!"

I'm in a tough position...I generally prefer listening to speakers over headphones, but my headphone system at the moment sounds vastly superior (it just lacks the naturalness of speakers...the fullness of the sound and the full-body visceral impact). I could sell the 701 and M3 in the forums and get more than enough for a refurbished C352 (I could get a new one)...but I'd miss having headphones around as well. If the C352 doesn't do the 701 justice with its headphone jack, it would be hard to go back to something like the HD595 (which wouldn't be awful...just not the same). I'm also tempted to try to sell my second electric guitar and see what I could get for an integrated amp around $1000 bucks...the Paradigms seem to be able to handle quite a bit of amp and source upgrading (good bang for the buck). Ah...decisions...

Jan 10, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 27
I used to use the headphone output of an NAD 1600 preamp/tuner (early 90's model) to drive my Senn 650 (plus a Grado RS-1 for a couple of weeks). They did so effortlessly. I could turn up the volume to dangerous levels and still could hear NO audible distortion in the sound. It had what I would call a warm sound. I later got a Gilmore Lite which was a little more "clear" sounding with better treble. The NAD was a little "dark" sounding. I'm not sure how the newer NAD's compare.

Jan 10, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
I used to use the headphone output of an NAD 1600 preamp/tuner (early 90's model) to drive my Senn 650 (plus a Grado RS-1 for a couple of weeks). They did so effortlessly. I could turn up the volume to dangerous levels and still could hear NO audible distortion in the sound. It had what I would call a warm sound. I later got a Gilmore Lite which was a little more "clear" sounding with better treble. The NAD was a little "dark" sounding. I'm not sure how the newer NAD's compare.

Hmmm....this all sounds promising. Perhaps I could sell the M3, pick up a C352 and then someday later on, when I have the cash, spring for a better headphone amp again. It would be hard to part with the K701...you're all making my wallet itch
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 27
I recently tried the headphone jack of my rarely used Proton D940 receiver, (NAD designed and built at the same plant NADS of the mid-eighties were), and was surprised at the quality when used with both my Sennheiser 600 and Sony CD3000 cans. Warm overall sound quality, which sounds particularly nice with the CD3000. Decent deep bass, good dynamics, and a smooth top end. I own two headphone amps, and the Proton holds its own in many areas. A very pleasant surprise indeed!!

Jan 10, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom

It's not bad, as headphone jacks go...I think it might have been a bit more than an afterthought. The older ones were better, but even their newer ones are A LOT better than I've heard from some of the newer integrated amps and preamps.

you too, huh!
I used to listen to my K240M from my NAD and thought it sounded pretty good till I tried other stuff. Even the Total BitHead blew that setup away.
Yeah, newer headphone jacks can be okay w/ high Z cans but most suck.
CPW

Jan 10, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 27
I've used the headphone jack with the Nad c320bee and the c350, both with the Senn hd-650. I thought both sounded really nice. Currently, I use the headphone jack off my benchmark dac1, and I really don't notice any gain or loss with that amp.

It is my understanding the nad headphone output come off the output section of the amplifier, so you basically get what the amp is putting out. I think the nad makes for a viable headphone amp.

Noel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back