Nad D Range
Jul 9, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #46 of 172
  Sure send me your e-mail in a pm and i'll send it to ya.

I installed the original firmware kindly provided by Frenchwah and hear an immediate, gross, difference.  It's a totally different piece of equipment.  It's like going from Grados to Sennheiser's.  I'm trying hard to wipe the smile off my face now actually.  Now this is the thick, viscous, buttery maple syrup that I have been searching for.  

Aug 10, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #48 of 172
Frenchwah and Dizzyorange...would you folks know the version of the firmware you are referring to.  I just got a D1050 and it has firmware version 2.5.  I determined the version by using my Logitech 650 remote which has the settings for the D1050 and I held in the power on till I got the blinking lights.  The current website version is 2.7.  Is that the version you originally had Dizzy?    What is the good sonic version you have Frenchwah? 

BTW...I have both the Nad D1050 and Arcam IRdac here for review.  I am burning them in using a constant SONOS stream feed.  So far the Arcam has better highs, detail and more air around the instruments while the NAD has more bass (almost too much) and a livelier sound but not the detail of the IRDac. 

Good listening to all....Postol

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #49 of 172

BTW...I have both the Nad D1050 and Arcam IRdac here for review.  I am burning them in using a constant SONOS stream feed.  So far the Arcam has better highs, detail and more air around the instruments while the NAD has more bass (almost too much) and a livelier sound but not the detail of the IRDac. 

Good listening to all....Postol

It would be good if you could plug the irdac into the D1050. It doesn't look like you can though.

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #50 of 172
Hi i just bought a used one year old  d 1050 havnt tried it yet becouse the package didnt come with any usb cable where can i buy one ?. do you guys use usb or coaxial ? and wich do you think works best? . Kind regards /Shant

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #51 of 172
I've had the D 3020 since launch. I believe mine came with FW version 2.2 (?) but I updated to 2.5 when that came out and have now updated to 2.7 having just spotted it on the NAD site.

Can't say I noticed any audio difference between what it came with and v2.5 though but between 2.5 and 2.7 I'm definitely noticing better resolution at the high end and a thicker sound signature. I think it sounds more like traditional NAD amps that I used to have in terms of signature with the added clarity and punch of the new D range (a mix of everything good).

Is the 2.1 firmware available for the D 3020 then? The above link is dead. I'd like to try it out if it's a firmware I haven't heard yet!

I'm powering a pair of Tannoy V4 and AKG Q701 (modded) by the way for reference. A sweet combination with this amp and intricately detailed with plenty of bass for the speakers as well as clarity in mids/highs. Typical "NAD" sound from my experience.

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #53 of 172
  updated link on this post
ftp://art.no-ip.org
user:nad
password:nad

report versions please and send me other versions
regards

Unable to copy files from the above link. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but I can browse the list of files but not transfer.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #54 of 172

right bouton mouse clic on file, and select save target on the menu

Whatever changed, I can now download the files. Thanks for posting them!

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #56 of 172
  does anyone know if the D1050 can be used with anything else then a computer ? a smartphone or tv for example?

Of course. It's a DAC with TOSLINK and coax digital SPDIF inputs, in addition to the USB input. I use mine with an external network media player via TOSLINK, an external bluetooth adapter via coax, as well as a Mac Mini via USB.

Just note that you need to send it 2-channel LPCM - not Dolby Digital - but your TV won't likely output from the optical connection.

I don't know about using it with a smart phone - I haven't tried. For me, with my Samsung Note 4, using an outboard DAC has been hit or miss.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #57 of 172

Of course. It's a DAC with TOSLINK and coax digital SPDIF inputs, in addition to the USB input. I use mine with an external network media player via TOSLINK, an external bluetooth adapter via coax, as well as a Mac Mini via USB.

Just note that you need to send it 2-channel LPCM - not Dolby Digital - but your TV won't likely output from the optical connection.

I don't know about using it with a smart phone - I haven't tried. For me, with my Samsung Note 4, using an outboard DAC has been hit or miss.

Ok cool thanks!, when you use it with with an external bluetooth adapter via coax can you can stream audio to it from any media device that has bluetooth ? for example (note 4).

And is the firmware saved on to the dac itself ? .

Becouse i just installed the firmware of another dac i own (yulong u100) onto windows on my computer.
it has only usb input for the dac section but i have seen external bluetooth adapters that have usb output aswell, dont know how and if it would work with the yulong though.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #58 of 172
  Ok cool thanks!, when you use it with with an external bluetooth adapter via coax can you can stream audio to it from any media device that has bluetooth ? for example (note 4).

And is the firmware saved on to the dac itself ? .

Becouse i just installed the firmware of another dac i own (yulong u100) onto windows on my computer.
it has only usb input for the dac section but i have seen external bluetooth adapters that have usb output aswell, dont know how and if it would work with the yulong though.

Not sure what you are asking, with respect to the firmware question... but, yes, the firmware can be updated and the NAD D 1050 does not require drivers on the host side (unless you are running Windows and playing >96kHz sampled tracks - i.e. USB class 2.0 audio).

I'm not familiar with the Yulong gear. My Bluetooth adapter is a standalone box (Arcam rBlink) with both analog and coax SPDIF outputs. I connect the coax out to the NAD D 1050 input and select that input; sounds fantastic with an aptX connection (which, BTW, your Note 4 will support, as I have one of those).

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #59 of 172

. but, yes, the firmware can be updated and the NAD D 1050 does not require drivers on the host side .

I'm not familiar with the Yulong gear. My Bluetooth adapter is a standalone box (Arcam rBlink) with both analog and coax SPDIF outputs. I connect the coax out to the NAD D 1050 input and select that input; sounds fantastic with an aptX connection (which, BTW, your Note 4 will support, as I have one of those).

Sweet exactly what i wanted to know thanks alot Krutsch, and happy new year !

yeah the yulong is very tiring with all the things it seem to acquire from the host side.

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #60 of 172
Hello, Couple of questions about this DAC...

1) Which is the best firmware? (I want the warm and smooth one)

2) Which should be the best input out of optical, coaxial and USB, from my PC?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back