Nad c541i ... Just Purchased!
Feb 3, 2003 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Nefarion

100+ Head-Fier
I just ordered one of the "b stock" versions of the NAD c541i from yawa audio. Steal of a deal for a $500 cd player at $388 brand new. Its gotta ship all the way accross the US from california to Florida so i will be twiddling my thumbs here for a while now. Cant wait!! I really dont think ive heard anywhere near my hd600's potential.. this should bring me a giant leap closer.. My current source is an $80 dvd player
tongue.gif
... Whoever found that great deal at yawa: Thanks a bunch!

Feb 3, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 14
No question you will hear a huge improvement. The NAD C541i is a great player, and Yawa is tops in customer service. Excellent choice on both.
smily_headphones1.gif

Incidently, if you plan to use Outlaw cables be very careful as the RCA inputs on the NAD are very close together. A few (myself included) have had problems with the locking barrels on the Outlaws becoming stuck on the player. They barrels are so large that they actually touch when installed on the NAD.

Feb 3, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 14
Very good to hear indeed. As expected, my anxiety grows by the minute. I am so much in love with the sound of my system right now... I just cant imagine how much better it can get... knowing im fixing to find out, its like ... i dunno, like... knowing your fixing to watch a really good movie for the first time. I have been listening to my headphones since i got my ASL MG head for appx 4 hours a day during the week .. and 5 - 6 hours each day on the weekends.. No ****ting you... This is a joyeous day for me indeed...

Yea, i think i remember reading that thread about the outlaws. Im trying to grab these: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=25564

To accomidate my Nad purchase...Gonna be sweeeeeeet.

Feb 5, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 14
I share your excitement, having finally replaced my NS500V with this player 2 weeks ago. You'll be happy to hear all of the music that gets unlocked to come streaming out of this player. I use Outlaw cables, but I don't lock down the barrels. So far the earth tremors here in Oregon haven't shaken loose the connectiions.
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2003 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 14
Received the player today! All i can pretty much say is that im speechless. Every aspect of musical quality has been increased significantly. Im listening to the soundtrack of dances with wolves right now and its just blowing me away. I mean, I never listen to classical music at all... but this is just leaving me without words... I just cant turn it off. I am very pleased to say the least... Thanks everyone.

Feb 8, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 14
check out this review
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...r-10-2002.html

whats interesting's the blurb at the end comparing it to the ns500v

Quote:

Simply put, I felt the Sony allowed me to hear more of the music available on standard CDs than did the 541i. Soundstage was bigger, bass fuller, and detail more present. Of course, on standard CD, the Sony could not in any way approach the musicality and refinement of my $10,000 setup, and, on HDCD-encoded discs, the Sony couldn't hold a candle to the NAD player. But on regular CD, the cheapo Sony not only offered fine CD reproduction but entry-level SACD and DVD-V as well.

eek.gif
eek.gif

Feb 8, 2003 at 7:45 AM Post #10 of 14
Interesting. I just went from a NS500V to a C541i. My take on the situation is that the NAD has more bass, less harshness, and is overall more musical. Soundstage? Well, I think that's tied into the difference in treble more than anything else. I guess it just goes to show that one person's detail might be another person's harshness. At times the Sony would sound like it was producing electronic sounds instead of music, and I can't criticize the NAD in that respect. But I still think the NS500V is a very good unit - we had a lot of good times together.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2003 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 14
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by dougli
Interesting. I just went from a NS500V to a C541i. My take on the situation is that the NAD has more bass, less harshness, and is overall more musical. Soundstage? Well, I think that's tied into the difference in treble more than anything else. I guess it just goes to show that one person's detail might be another person's harshness. At times the Sony would sound like it was producing electronic sounds instead of music, and I can't criticize the NAD in that respect. But I still think the NS500V is a very good unit - we had a lot of good times together.
smily_headphones1.gif

[/size]I own the NS-500V, and have used the C541i a lot, and my opinions match yours. The NS-500V is respectable for redbook, and pretty good for SACD. For redbook, however, the C541i is significantly fuller and more musical than the NS-500V, and is quite impressive when playing HDCD-encoded CDs. If I had to choose one or the other for music playback, it'd be the C541i without a second thought.

Feb 9, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 14
I just bought one from Audiogon for $330. Can't wait until it gets here!

Feb 9, 2003 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 14
Yea im liking it more and more after burn in. Ive got about 50 hours on it and it sounds sooo much more full and articulate than what im used to. With a good recording the bass is amazingly accurate and deep. What im really anxious about is the hdcd part.... Supposedly thats where it really shines. From my experience so far it shines pretty damn well with redbook playback. Like i said before, im pleased to say the least.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #14 of 14
i think i'm buying a used one off craigslist tommorow for 95 bucks. thats right 95.

damn i love craigslist, and rich people who sell thier stuff cheap so team mid-fi guys like myself can afford it.
smily_headphones1.gif

2forty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back