n00b alert: Here's what I'm eyeing for IEMs...
Jan 22, 2009 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nic_s

New Head-Fier
I have an 8g walkman, and I listen to mostly ambient, post rock, and classical. Right now I'm using a set of Harman/Kardon ep730s, but I'm looking to upgrade. I've heard nothing but great things about the ER4Ps, and that's what I'm leaning towards, since I like the minimalist visual style and treble-favouring sound. Any input greatly appreciated on other great IEMs that I should look into, since there is so much out there.

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 8
Harman/Kardon's are rebranded Ety's, right? If you liked those you'll most likely enjoy the er4ps, it should share the similar sound signature but obviously be better. I'd also encourage you to look into Shures as well, known for their great clear midrange and analytical sound.

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 8
I'd go with Etymotic HF5s. Your musical tastes are in line with mine, and you use the a similar DAP, or perhaps even the same one (I have the Sony NWZ-A728).

With Shure olives instead of stock tips, Clear Bass +1 and a flat EQ, it sounds great for pretty much any genre, but especially nice for post-rock and ambient. They should do well for classical, as well, since Etys are known for this.

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 8
You might want to read up on the Phonak Audeo PFT here:
Phonak Audeo?

Very balanced and detailed with different filters that can change the sound to a more treble heavy sound, if you want.

There is a coupon, SAVE10 for 10% off.

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go with Etymotic HF5s. Your musical tastes are in line with mine, and you use the a similar DAP, or perhaps even the same one (I have the Sony NWZ-A728).

With Shure olives instead of stock tips, Clear Bass +1 and a flat EQ, it sounds great for pretty much any genre, but especially nice for post-rock and ambient. They should do well for classical, as well, since Etys are known for this.

I think the HF5s might be a step down from the ER4Ps.....

Yes, I do have the same player as you do.

I really just want to post a wanted add for a particular IEM in the classified section, but an account needs fifty posts before that can be done. Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 8
Triple.fis are pretty awesome, but at least to me, they had major comfort issues. If you have larger than average ears, then they should be good, but to my smaller ears, the fit was way off.

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 8
I also vote for Phonak Audeo. They have great review and by the way, also look very nice. Second thought is Q-Jays - they're also compared to Ety's (bright, analytical sound). ER4 are a legend and no doubt, you'd love them, but they gain very much from an amp ...so not sure if this is such a great idea to run'em straight from DAP, for sure you won't get 100% of their performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back