n/a
May 18, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #16 of 24
Had a demo today but decided to go for the Sine instead. To me, the Sr9 is VERY v shaped. Too much for my taste. It sounds like when the loudness button is activated on an amp in addition to the bass and treble dials turned up. Initially it may sound impressive but, with time, it becomes unsatisfying. It has a very "hollow" character.
The bass sounds quite bloated to me, and quite loose. The treble is well extended, however, and has quite an airy character for a closed can.
Overall I feel it is overpriced for it's sq, and build quality. Just my 2c worth.

May 23, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #17 of 24
I thought MSR7 was smoother while the SR9 was overwhelming in detail. The DSR9 was bassier than SR9 but highs not as detailed.

May 30, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #19 of 24
Our supplier for Audio Technica was kind enough to drop by with a set of pre-production SR9s, I jumped at the chance to try them out.

I started out with Infected Mushroom - The Rat, a track with which I am well versed. I was initially overwhelmed with the emphasis in the 5-6KHz space. It was piercing to the point almost being painful, until the bassline kicked in to offer relief. They are V shaped, tipping more towards being bright.

Initially I was trying to understand what Audio Technica were trying to achieve with the sound of the SR9s. But then I began A/B-ing them with the MSR7, which are on of favorite portable headphones, and it sounded as though a veil was being lifted when switching over to the SR9s, they were incredibly articulate (at the expense of occasionally being murdered by a high-hat).

I like neutral audio gear, so I knew right away that the SR9s weren't the headphones for me, but there are plenty of people that like a V shaped signature, and almost as many people that like bright headphones.

An interesting listen for sure!

// Alex

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #20 of 24
There is juat not a lot of information on these floating around. At the price though I could look at the used market and get a definative step up but if these come along at a greatly decresed price used somewhere I will have to pick them up.

Feb 11, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #21 of 24
Wondering why the name of this thread got removed? I guess it's a dicussion/impressions for the ATH-SR9? I really would like to see more about them, and some comparisons. Somehow, despite being the successor to the popular MSR7, there's next to no info about them anywhere except a couple sparse messages on the MSR7 thread. Not even a dedicated thread?

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #22 of 24
The ATH-SR9 seems to be a bit of an enigma in the recent(ish) Audio-Technica line-up, even to the point where the title of this thread has been erased. Any idea why it's so under the radar? Any comparisons with the MSR7B? Any general long term impressions?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #23 of 24
The ATH-SR9 seems to be a bit of an enigma in the recent(ish) Audio-Technica line-up, even to the point where the title of this thread has been erased. Any idea why it's so under the radar? Any comparisons with the MSR7B? Any general long term impressions?
I've owned MSR7. Always enjoyed them. I now own their SR9. Pretty much agree with what has already been said here. I will add. I had to put them down more than once. The mid-bass punch was so annoying to unbearable. After changing pads to Dakoni all leather and cable swap. Back in the box they went. I went back and forth with them almost regretting my $249 purchase. So much I was looking for a pair of MSR7 Limited, the blue to no avail? The MSR7B you speak of sounds like an option? They're now available at $249 currently.
I have restored the original padding but kept the Earmax cable.
Conclusion: SR9 requires a long break-in period to tame their mid-bass peak. A little sub-bass Eq does wonders. I too would like to read about a comparo between the three. SR9/MSR7B/MSR7 Limited. The AT signature is a preference for me. I also have HD-600 that only can be enjoyed with mods during late night listening sessions. (Just for reference here.)

Nov 17, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #24 of 24
I've owned MSR7. Always enjoyed them. I now own their SR9. Pretty much agree with what has already been said here. I will add. I had to put them down more than once. The mid-bass punch was so annoying to unbearable. After changing pads to Dakoni all leather and cable swap. Back in the box they went. I went back and forth with them almost regretting my $249 purchase. So much I was looking for a pair of MSR7 Limited, the blue to no avail? The MSR7B you speak of sounds like an option? They're now available at $249 currently.
I have restored the original padding but kept the Earmax cable.
Conclusion: SR9 requires a long break-in period to tame their mid-bass peak. A little sub-bass Eq does wonders. I too would like to read about a comparo between the three. SR9/MSR7B/MSR7 Limited. The AT signature is a preference for me. I also have HD-600 that only can be enjoyed with mods during late night listening sessions. (Just for reference here.)
Ha, yes, I'm afraid the SR9 have passed me by now.

I actually do still listen to the MSR7B a great deal and would continue to recommend them. They're my office headphones with the Lotoo S1, which is a terrific combo. Very balanced headphone, with fairly natural timbre and surprisingly good technical performance. Can't go wrong the price.

There's blue edition on sale here. I did ask - quite politely, I thought - if the seller could explain the tonal difference between the blue and regular version, but alas he had a hysterical meltdown and told me to do my own research. As a result, I left it. You may have more luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back