Myth or Not? "Cables sound different"
Aug 31, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #16 of 61
I used to think there was a difference. But, I couldn't tell which was which when I hooked up both my Cardas Golden References ($400/0.5m) and my Cardas Crosslinks ($50/1m) from the back of my CDP to my HeadRoom Max and A/B-ed the two inputs. I switched back and forth for a good hour and never could tell the difference. So, I'm a nonbeliever with at least a grand in cables . . . go figure, eh?

Aug 31, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #17 of 61
I believe that there is quite obvious differences between some types of cables, but not others.

I always thought my system sounded dull about 6 months ago. So I changed my speaker cable. Ever since, it has NEVER sounded too dull. Go figure, a quite obvious difference, and one that is real since I have been happy ever since. So, speaker cables are VERY important, but not neccesarily always the most expensive...

Interconnects are more subtle in their differences. The only interconnect that has ever made anything more than a subtle difference, is the solid silver one I am using now. Some of my others seem slightly better than others, buts its very subtle.

Digital cables, well, I've had two, and if there was a difference, it was minute, and I definetly could not ABX the difference. Placebo?

Mains cables, it depends on the cable, and the component. On my old DAC, I had a Signals Blackcurrent and that made a very noticable difference to the bass. A Eupen cable on the same DAC, made a smaller difference. Neither of the cables seem to do anything for my amplifier. However, on the Corda HA-1, the Eupen made a big difference. So, thats real, but I think it depends on the quality of the PSU on the equipment. Poor PSU's should benefit more, better ones should "reject the crap".

I do also believe its at least part placebo, and that the differences quite often arent as big as we are sometimes led to believe, but they definetly make a difference in many cases.

Aug 31, 2003 at 10:05 PM Post #18 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
I believe that there is quite obvious differences between some types of cables, but not others.

I always thought my system sounded dull about 6 months ago. So I changed my speaker cable. Ever since, it has NEVER sounded too dull. Go figure, a quite obvious difference, and one that is real since I have been happy ever since. So, speaker cables are VERY important, but not neccesarily always the most expensive...

Are you willing to try a simple experiment? If you still have the old speaker cable, just plug it back in for a few days and see if the speakers go back to sounding dull again. Not a DBT, just a small experiment.

Sep 1, 2003 at 12:07 AM Post #20 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
Like i said.

Sep 1, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #21 of 61
I do enjoy reading cable reviews and comparisons. I myself am a full believer that essentially everything makes a difference in one way or another.

I take the advice to hear that the perfect cable doesn't sound like anything. However there's no question to me that cables make a difference. Better cables generally let more of the music through and most important of all makes everything sound more pleasing and enjoyable.

I think going from generic cables to higher end cables is a big revelation and the most fun. The sound just opens up and it's hard to go back.

Sep 1, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #22 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
One day I was listening to my system and thought, this sounds pretty ****ty, the smoothness is not there like I remember it, sounds well grainy.
Biggie.

I have to admit to the same type of experience. I put a new set of Acoustic Zen Silver References into my system that the seller had burned in on a cable burner. these cables were replacing another pair I had in there. Well they didn't sound burned in, they were stiff and tight. I wound up contacting him to ask if he was sure he had burned these cables in (we had done a number of solid deals before that, so I trusted him). He replied yes, so I checked the cables and I had hooked them up backwards. I swapped them end for end and sure enough they sounded perfect. I believed there were differences in cables beforehand (I've run a lot of different ones), but I never believed in directionality until then.

Sep 1, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #23 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by Chops
Just for the heck of it, I want to see how many people here on Head-Fi think that cables sound different or if it's "all just in your head."

Please feel free to make any comments, but please don't forget to take the pole!
biggrin.gif

BTW - Keep your pole to yourself, I'm just here for the poll.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #24 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
BTW - Keep your pole to yourself, I'm just here for the poll.
biggrin.gif

It's about time somebody noticed that! lol
tongue.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 1, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #25 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Are you willing to try a simple experiment? If you still have the old speaker cable, just plug it back in for a few days and see if the speakers go back to sounding dull again. Not a DBT, just a small experiment.

I've done this before with all of my cables. The speaker cable I went from CAT5 FFRC to QED Silver Anniversary, put the FFRC back in after a few months, and it sounded crap again. Tried it with digital cables, noticed a difference at first, but one I swapped back, no difference. Same with interconnects, although there was still slight differences. Theres no point in trying to judge it even just after the first few days, because if you expect a change, you hear one, thats for certain...

Sep 1, 2003 at 12:34 PM Post #26 of 61
Definitely a real and dramatic difference between SOTA cables and generic cheapies but two considerations:

Diminishing Returns
Easy to hear improvement between $300 ICs and $3 generic cheapies, but can be little if any improvement between $1200 ICs and $300..........you have to find your point on this spectrum and hopefully find a "killer" cable that outperforms the big boys for much less money.

Allocation of System Budget for Balanced System
This ties in which point above, increased spending for better cables may not be good investment of Stereo budget. More improvement may result from other equipment upgrades, so don't go overboard in any arera and keep a balanced perspective.

Sep 1, 2003 at 3:22 PM Post #28 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by Douglas256
I used to think there was a difference. But, I couldn't tell which was which when I hooked up both my Cardas Golden References ($400/0.5m) and my Cardas Crosslinks ($50/1m) from the back of my CDP to my HeadRoom Max and A/B-ed the two inputs. I switched back and forth for a good hour and never could tell the difference. So, I'm a nonbeliever with at least a grand in cables . . . go figure, eh?

I found this to be the same case with my HeadRoom Max as well(did the same thing you did). But; I still do beleive in better cables.

I just would never spend more than $100-$150, say for a 1-Meter pair of Interconnects.

Sep 1, 2003 at 3:27 PM Post #29 of 61
I agree with Dark Angel. Balance is the key. I have passed DBT's many many times when comparing el cheapo cables to expensive ones with science backing the king cables. There is buckets of snake oil in this area of audio like no other. But the results can be found and they can be staggering. When I went from Radioshack ic's to the Cardas Neutral Refs the difference was dramatic. When I went from the Cardas Neutral Refs to the Music Timbres the difference was dramatic.

Sep 1, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #30 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
I agree with Dark Angel. Balance is the key. I have passed DBT's many many times when comparing el cheapo cables to expensive ones with science backing the king cables. There is buckets of snake oil in this area of audio like no other. But the results can be found and they can be staggering. When I went from Radioshack ic's to the Cardas Neutral Refs the difference was dramatic. When I went from the Cardas Neutral Refs to the Music Timbres the difference was dramatic.

Hmmmmmmmmm........must have missed that one, what are "music timbres"? I've never heard of them before, fill us in please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back