Mytek Stereo 96 DAC
Oct 11, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #31 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
a buy one get one half off kind of deal.

It is. you can choose the first product you buy. It could be the stereo ADC, DAC, or multichannel ones.

Oct 11, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
It is. you can choose the first product you buy. It could be the stereo ADC, DAC, or multichannel ones.

Really? Heheh. Well, that would be clever. But I guess they are assuming most people won't want 2 DACs.

-Ed

Oct 11, 2004 at 2:50 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Just use AES/EBU from your RME
wink.gif

I'll have to buy the adapter cables for the RME then. Bleh.

Well, unless someone could tell me the pinouts for the DB9 connector.
wink.gif

-Ed

Oct 11, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #34 of 65
Quote:

Really? Heheh. Well, that would be clever. But I guess they are assuming most people won't want 2 DACs.

-Ed

You can ask somebody here who wants to buy the 96 DAC with you. Then you can buy 2 @US$750 each
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #35 of 65
Quote:

I'll have to buy the adapter cables for the RME then.
-Ed

Or you can just use a coax. Or you can get an optical to coax or aes/ebu convertor.

Oct 12, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #36 of 65
This DAC is very intriguing..but the look of it..Benchamark may be inferior in sound,but it looks quite hi end and stylish.IMHO,maytec should release "second edition" of the DAC with redesigned case.

Oct 12, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #37 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
This DAC is very intriguing..but the look of it..Benchamark may be inferior in sound,but it looks quite hi end and stylish.

This is also what I concern. The look is quite disappointing. Although the sound quality is superior than the Benchmark in some senses, its look makes make me hestitate.

It quite depends on what we want, outlook or sound quality. To be frank, it is quite difficult for me to choose.

Oct 12, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #38 of 65
I'm still kind of scared by the fact that it doesn't seem to be too promising in the low end of the spectrum. Has anyone from Head-Fi reviewed the Mytek and ran headphones off of it?

Oct 12, 2004 at 5:13 AM Post #39 of 65
What's wrong with the low end? On my speakers, the bass on the mytek was cleaner and leaner than the benchmark, which is a thumbs up from me.

Oct 12, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #40 of 65
Well, on the sample files, right? What I'm saying is none of us have listened to the actual DAC in our rigs.

Also, you mentioned that the bass is "leaner" than that of the DAC1 (again, from the comparison files). But afaik the DAC1 is already known for being somewhat lean on the low end. So a DAC that is comparatively leaner than the DAC1 might be too lean, imho.

Oct 12, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #41 of 65
Well for those with headphones that can't afford to lose any significant amount of bass (coughK1000coughR10cough) it would be a major negative attribute for this DAC.

Although, has anyone compared this one or the DAC1 to the Bel Canto DAC2? I just heard it, and I LIKE it.

-Ed

Oct 12, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #42 of 65
Well, I thought the benchmark file sounded bloated in comparison, but who knows. I'd love to hear the real thing. And compare it to my upcoming nos dac, as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Well, I thought the benchmark file sounded bloated in comparison, but who knows. I'd love to hear the real thing. And compare it to my upcoming nos dac, as well
smily_headphones1.gif

When are you getting the NOS DAC?

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #44 of 65
This isn't a popular DAC so who's going to take the first bite?

I've never heard of a bass shy AKM based DAC so I'd speculate this isn't like that either. If neutral isn't to your preference then find some other way to increase bass.

Oct 12, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #45 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
This isn't a popular DAC so who's going to take the first bite?

I've never heard of a bass shy AKM based DAC so I'd speculate this isn't like that either. If neutral isn't to your preference then find some other way to increase bass.

Did you say they were close to you, can you audition it in person?

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back