Mytek Stereo 96 DAC
Aug 19, 2004 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

StephenFSC

100+ Head-Fier
Have anyone heard of the MyteK Stereo 96 DAC??
600smile.gif

I have found it on the online shop with a price close to the Benchmark DAC-1. However, when I use Yahoo to search the information about the DAC, it just shows very little replies.

The Mytek's webpage has the listening samples between the Benchmark DAC-1 and the Mytek Stereo 96 DAC.

http://www.mytekdigital.com/listening_test.htm

Anyuser is using this DAC??
Can you tell more about it??(for example the sound quality)
icon10.gif

Front panel (upper one)
stereo96-front-72dpi-rgb.jpg

Inside the DAC~
stereo06dac-topview-rgb-72dpi.jpg

Aug 21, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenFSC
Have anyone heard of the MyteK Stereo 96 DAC??
600smile.gif

I have found it on the online shop with a price close to the Benchmark DAC-1. However, when I use Yahoo to search the information about the DAC, it just shows very little replies.

The Mytek's webpage has the listening samples between the Benchmark DAC-1 and the Mytek Stereo 96 DAC.

Anyuser is using this DAC??
Can you tell more about it??(for example the sound quality)
icon10.gif

Did you play with their listening tests at all?

abx-mytek.jpg

On my CardDeluxe fed to my Xin SuperMini 6.4D, then to my Etymotics ER-4S, I could tell quite a bit of difference between the two on the Benchmark-1 vs Mytek DAC comparison Evans files. I think the Mytek sounded more upfront, a more lively presentation. The DAC-1 was a lot smoother and laid back.

I for one prefer the Mytek. Music isn't smooth or laid back, it's harsh and unforgiving, but to each his own.
etysmile.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 65
http://www.mytekdigital.com/stereo96dacspecial.htm

Mytek DAC now have a special offer.
Buy one of their convertor and then can use half price to buy a Stereo 96-DAC. (Original price is US$999 )
icon10.gif

『Purchase any Mytek converter from our dealer or directly online from Mytek website by Oct 25th 2004 and email or fax us the bill. We will sell you Stereo96DAC for $495 directly from Mytek』

stereo96dac-rgb-72dpi.jpg

Key differences include:

-Benchmark works only in upsampling mode to 96k, while Mytek can work on both regular non-SRC mode and upsampling to 192k mode (Superlock (tm) mode). This allows user to compare sound "with jitter" ie. corresponding to typical real life situation vs "no jitter". We feel 192k upsampling sounds more "natural" or "analog like"

-Mytek uses higher grade analog parts and conductive plastic potentiometer instead of a cheap carbon one

-Mytek headphone amp offers better performance

-Mytek does not have optical input

Some time ago we have conducted a A/B listening comparison test to compare these two units. The results can be dowloaded and heard here:

http://www.mytekdigital.com/listening_test.htm

We feel that Mytek offers more detail and sonic accuracy when compared to DAC1. Most users who heard both agree.

Oct 10, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 65
Oh we found a new rival of benchmark DAC1.
What I most interested is switching between upsampling/non-upsampling mode. DAC1 always upsampling only. I don't know the difference in sound though. BTW another rival of DAC1, Apogee mini-DAC, does it have such a switch? The big dial on mini-DAC front seems just a switch between inputs.

Oct 10, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 65
Thanks for pointing this DAC out. It looks great. Same asynchronous reclocking chip as the Benchmark, but with an AKM DAC. I really like the AKM sound. Should be a different flavor than the Benchmark; probably subjectively stronger bass. Nice power supply, good clock.

This is almost exactly the DAC I would build if I was designing one myself. I wish the faceplate wasn't so chintzy-looking, but they do seem to have invested more money in the internals (no serious compromises) than looks.

The headphone amp is unspecified but from the layout and description it looks like it may be the new TPA-series Burr-Brown part. That would just be the icing on the cake.

Very exciting.

Oct 10, 2004 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Thanks for pointing this DAC out. It looks great. Same asynchronous reclocking chip as the Benchmark, but with an AKM DAC. I really like the AKM sound. Should be a different flavor than the Benchmark; probably subjectively stronger bass. Nice power supply, good clock.

This is almost exactly the DAC I would build if I was designing one myself. I wish the faceplate wasn't so chintzy-looking, but they do seem to have invested more money in the internals (no serious compromises) than looks.

The headphone amp is unspecified but from the layout and description it looks like it may be the new TPA-series Burr-Brown part. That would just be the icing on the cake.

Very exciting.

Yeah, I am exciting too.

I have listened to the samples and the sound is great. It has a better mids and bass than DAC1 and its highs has a similar performance than the DAC1.
600smile.gif
Although its appearance is not so good, the Mytek seems to use better components inside.

If we buy two Stereo 96-DAC, the cost is just US$750 each. It is very attractive.
cool.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 65
This is exciting indeed as I wasn't so hot on the DAC1 but I like AKM codecs a lot also.

They are in walking distance from me. I wonder if I can stroll on in and listen to it.

Who is in for getting the 2nd mytek to make it $750?
biggrin.gif
You have a few days to decide
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 65
I dont really get what that "special offer" means.What is one supposed to buy to get half price on Stereo96 DAC?Another DAC?What would anyone buy two dacs for?

Oct 10, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
I dont really get what that "special offer" means.What is one supposed to buy to get half price on Stereo96 DAC?Another DAC?What would anyone buy two dacs for?

That's mean if two of us want to buy the Mytek Stereo 96 DAC, we can first purchase one Stereo 96 DAC. Then we email or fax the bill to Mytek and they will sell the Stereo 96 DAC at US$495
tongue.gif

Total = US$995 + US$495 = US$1490 for 2 Mytek
icon10.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #11 of 65
You get the Stereo96 DAC at half price if you buy another of their convertors or digital meter.

They're doing this to encourage the use of the DAC. This is targetted for pro audio use not really for single users so that may seem crazy for us as individual to buy two of their DACs. Thus it's like a 2 person groups buy for us if you wanted it cheaper.

--lan

Oct 10, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaminJosh
I think the Mytek sounded more upfront, a more lively presentation. The DAC-1 was a lot smoother and laid back.

Wouldn't that be a problem? I'd thought from other people's reviews that the DAC-1 was already lively and bright enough?

Oct 10, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #14 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
I'd thought from other people's reviews that the DAC-1 was already lively and bright enough?

Performance is relative and those impressions may depend on what they've come from.

Mytek could be more dynamic just like 0404 vs. 1212m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back