Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC/Preamp/Amplifier Thread
Aug 3, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #136 of 351
Quote:
Have you guys checked out any Double DSD (128) files? I've got the 2 samplers from http://shop.dsdfile.com and the sound is amazing. 

To me, the headphone output on the Mytek is ok, but my WA6-SE has so much more color, life & detail. 

yeah thats what i feel.

i really like how the WA6-SE sounds with my LCD-3. they pair better than i thought.

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #138 of 351
Quote:

so you need really good power tubes on the WA22 + the mytek with its higher voltage before the HD 800s are powered right?  they sounded fine to me, and can get plenty loud right out of the mytek, or even my weaker WA2 with regular tubes. 

Well DG, maybe it's my 64 yr old ears that need more power 
size]

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #139 of 351
Quote:
Here is a simple mod for the mytek. It has a output resistor of 20 ohms at the headphone jack. It was put there to protect the amp against a short . However I brought my unit to there shop in Brooklyn ,ny USA. I had them shut the resistor . And it gives more bass detail as it helps with the damping factor . The resister is on the left side facing the front when removing the cover. It also helps greatly with low impedance IEM,S or headphones. It is a worth doing mod.

Pm me if you need pics I will open it up and take a pic to show you what to do.

Also if you here artifacts useing the USB . Increase the buffer in windows . This helped me greatly . Until they gave me this info I was using FireWire as it was clear with no artifacts.

I hope this helps some people here.

Al. D

I'm tempted to do the same mod, to short or reduce the value of the headphone output resistor.  If I'm looking at the right part, below as shown in the picture, it seems like Mytek use TPA6120 family as the headphone amplifier.  20 pins chip.  And according to the schematic of TPA6120, output is on pin 2 and 19, which connected to 20 ohms resistor in Mytek circuit.  According to TPA6120 datasheet, output resistor is required for the amp stability, to reduce the parasitic capacitance on the output.  Minimum should be at least 10 ohms.  So I'm not sure whether to short it, or reduce it to 10 ohms.

Could you please confirm that I've circled the correct headphone output resistors ?  Thanks!

Aug 10, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #141 of 351
well its been a few weeks since i bought this and i just wanted to post a few more impressions/mini review.  the bass is finally there, this DAC has extremely good bass, neutral, textured, detailed natural, and uncolored but musical. the treble is no longer hot, there is no grain or edge or thinness anywhere to be found, and the midrange is completely uncolored, transparent, yet musical and extremely detailed, huge improvement over my previous DAC. this is an extremely transparent extremely revealing DAC, yet its not completely unforgiving even when paired with headphones like HD 800 and T1. it maintains naturalness and musicality, which not many dacs do.

the USB 2.0 works perfectly and i can switch from DSD to PCM, from any format without any issues (theres a small click when switching between DSD and a PCM file, but thats about it, and its not a problem, only happens once if u switch between DSD and regular pcm files). theres no delay or gap when playing songs, theres no issues with any DSD, all my rips play perfectly.

the amp has enough power for basically all my headphones (they all get loud enough), and the amp while lacking some soundstage and space that better amps give, is completely neutral, very detailed, and much better than i could have expected. its a surprisingly good sounding amp, so i am happy that i also get a decent SS amp out of my purchase! its good enough to use as a stand-alone if you need a smaller setup, or if you are moving around and only wanna carry 1 component. 

remote control (apple remote) works perfectly and i can control the volume on my amp or pre-amp built in, its nice to have somethings and i notice no loss of quality changing from digital preamp to bypass to analog preamp. i prefer bypass mode.

this dac was a huge improvement to my system, most of my headphones, especially my Audeze and Hifiman planars, really benefited from the upgrade and i noticed a much improved soundstage as well as more detail. i am extremely happy with my purchase as this DAC has met and exceeded all my expectations and i'm sure its one of the better buys right now. highly recommended! 

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #142 of 351
well its been a few weeks since i bought this and i just wanted to post a few more impressions/mini review.  the bass is finally there, this DAC has extremely good bass, neutral, textured, detailed natural, and uncolored but musical. the treble is no longer hot, there is no grain or edge or thinness anywhere to be found, and the midrange is completely uncolored, transparent, yet musical and extremely detailed, huge improvement over my previous DAC. this is an extremely transparent extremely revealing DAC, yet its not completely unforgiving even when paired with headphones like HD 800 and T1. it maintains naturalness and musicality, which not many dacs do.

the USB 2.0 works perfectly and i can switch from DSD to PCM, from any format without any issues (theres a small click when switching between DSD and a PCM file, but thats about it, and its not a problem, only happens once if u switch between DSD and regular pcm files). theres no delay or gap when playing songs, theres no issues with any DSD, all my rips play perfectly.

the amp has enough power for basically all my headphones (they all get loud enough), and the amp while lacking some soundstage and space that better amps give, is completely neutral, very detailed, and much better than i could have expected. its a surprisingly good sounding amp, so i am happy that i also get a decent SS amp out of my purchase! its good enough to use as a stand-alone if you need a smaller setup, or if you are moving around and only wanna carry 1 component. 

remote control (apple remote) works perfectly and i can control the volume on my amp or pre-amp built in, its nice to have somethings and i notice no loss of quality changing from digital preamp to bypass to analog preamp. i prefer bypass mode.

this dac was a huge improvement to my system, most of my headphones, especially my Audeze and Hifiman planars, really benefited from the upgrade and i noticed a much improved soundstage as well as more detail. i am extremely happy with my purchase as this DAC has met and exceeded all my expectations and i'm sure its one of the better buys right now. highly recommended! 

Nice reviews! Curious on the XLR output impression once you get wa22.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #143 of 351
Guys, I have a question. I recently acquired a Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC, and one of the reasons I bought it was because I was looking for a DAC with balanced XLR outputs. However, I learned that not all so-called balanced DAC's with XLR outputs are "truly" balanced DAC's. Some DAC's are not actually balanced, but use something called a phase splitter to convert unbalanced signal into balanced. On the other hand, there are true or fully balanced DAC's (such as Schiit Gungnir) that offer a pair of true, differential balanced output through its XLR outputs.

Is the Mytek Stereo192-DSD a DAC with a phase splitter that merely converts unbalanced to balanced and pretend that it's a balanced DAC? Or is it a fully balanced DAC that outputs pure differential balanced signal without any conversion involved?

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #144 of 351
Not sure if its fully balanced or not, interestingly it doesnt say

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #145 of 351
Quote:
Guys, I have a question. I recently acquired a Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC, and one of the reasons I bought it was because I was looking for a DAC with balanced XLR outputs. However, I learned that not all so-called balanced DAC's with XLR outputs are "truly" balanced DAC's. Some DAC's are not actually balanced, but use something called a phase splitter to convert unbalanced signal into balanced. On the other hand, there are true or fully balanced DAC's (such as Schiit Gungnir) that offer a pair of true, differential balanced output through its XLR outputs.

Is the Mytek Stereo192-DSD a DAC with a phase splitter that merely converts unbalanced to balanced and pretend that it's a balanced DAC? Or is it a fully balanced DAC that outputs pure differential balanced signal without any conversion involved?

It's balanced.

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #147 of 351
Has anyone had a problem using the headphone out on the Mytek 192-DSD DAC? I've got a clicking noise coming over the headphones, but only when I'm using the FireWire input. The setup was working fine until yesterday but I don't have many hours on the unit.

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #148 of 351
Increase the buffer in the control panel for the fire control panel.

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #149 of 351
Tried that initially, it didn't work. Neither did swapping out cables, firewire cards, power sources, etc. Ends up being a driver conflict with the specific PC I'm on. Reverting back to a 3.5x driver largely solved the issue.

Got very good support from the Mytek staff, btw.

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #150 of 351
Ok sorry to here it did not help you. It might be the CPU speed . But call them they are here in ny Brooklyn, it's where I went to eliminate the internal resister on the output. Call them and ask them the question they are very helpfull with issues. I did have that issue and it was resolved with the buffer maybe it was in the control panel of the computor and not the control panel of the interface for the FireWire panel . Did you try both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back