Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC/Preamp/Amplifier Thread
Jul 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #121 of 351
yeah its actually pretty good. its solid state and a little on the more neutral analytical side but it maintains some slight warmth in the mids and musicality, it never becomes unnatural or digital sounding. it has enough power for hd 800 and even he-500 are driven decently.

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #123 of 351
i'm listening to HD 800 out of the mytek's headphone out, its very good. it was harsh at first but now that its burning in, the bass is coming out more and the sound isn't thin or digital or harsh anymore, its completely neutral and uncolored, yet remains MUSICAL, it does not become cold or lifeless at all. its still a little bright for me  though but its getting better

i think for some people, the mytek alone could very well end up being all they need for a complete system. its that good.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #125 of 351
Quote:
i'm listening to HD 800 out of the mytek's headphone out, its very good. it was harsh at first but now that its burning in, the bass is coming out more and the sound isn't thin or digital or harsh anymore, its completely neutral and uncolored, yet remains MUSICAL, it does not become cold or lifeless at all. its still a little bright for me  though but its getting better

i think for some people, the mytek alone could very well end up being all they need for a complete system. its that good.

i cant wait to try one. I'm thinking of asking a local audio store to get one in. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #126 of 351
i think the mytek is close to finishing being burnt in. 

i barely hear it anymore, the window is finally open, its just me and the music...... 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #127 of 351
Quote:
i think the mytek is close to finishing being burnt in. 

i barely hear it anymore, the window is finally open, its just me and the music...... 
tongue_smile.gif

how many hours?

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #128 of 351
hello all

the mytek is not bright but analytical , as the woo is not bright but tubby. I have both setups dubstep. you have chosen wisely IMHO.

the amp and preamp are good as well. remember it is a commercial product and as such was not meant to color but be real. so good recordings are really good, loads of detail but bad recordings are just that bad . and the HD800  is really analytical as well. try some lcd.s 2 or 3 they will tame it but you do loose detail. read my profile and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have, enjoy ps as I am not a fan of burn in . it does exist for sure atleast in our minds so all gets better or worse as time goes. I think that burnin takes place in our heads and it is our minds that adapt to new sound and slowly adjust what we here. but woo and may others all recommend burnin for at least 200 to 500 hours and tubes must be on for about 20 to 30 mins to sound there best, that is a real fact with all tube amps.

al.d

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #130 of 351
I scored an HD800. First impression is very good! Transparent, neutral, resolving, quiet, yeah, the qualities I am after. I will let this mytek->hd800 setup run for a few days and evaluate other aspects of sound. But I suspect I would be quite happy with this setup for a while.

If I were to get an amp, one would do basically the same things but just at higher levels, what would be good choices? How much would it take to beat mytek's headphone section comprehensively?

Another thing I notice is that the analog volume control does not work for headphone; I am using the digital vol. Have you noticed the same thing?

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #131 of 351
Quote:
I scored an HD800. First impression is very good! Transparent, neutral, resolving, quiet, yeah, the qualities I am after. I will let this mytek->hd800 setup run for a few days and evaluate other aspects of sound. But I suspect I would be quite happy with this setup for a while.

If I were to get an amp, one would do basically the same things but just at higher levels, what would be good choices? How much would it take to beat mytek's headphone section comprehensively?

Another thing I notice is that the analog volume control does not work for headphone; I am using the digital vol. Have you noticed the same thing?

The analog/digital/bypass option is for the DAC output not the headphone output (ex: output by RCA or XLR). I would recommend the Auditor as your stand-alone amp for the HD800s. Congrats!

Aug 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #132 of 351
Quote:

the mytek's headphone section is pretty good. only  difference between it and a good headphone amp is that the mytek's seems to lack a bit of depth and soundstage, seems a little more flat. but the detail and transparency seem to all be there. its a pretty good amp.

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #133 of 351
Quote:

the mytek's headphone section is pretty good. only  difference between it and a good headphone amp is that the mytek's seems to lack a bit of depth and soundstage, seems a little more flat. but the detail and transparency seem to all be there. its a pretty good amp.

Hello DG, FWIW I also have the MyTek 192. I didn't find the MyTek HF output to be sufficient for driving my HD800s. I now run the MyTek balanced outputs in "volume bypass mode" directly to my WA22 balanced inputs. I had been using the WA22 to power the HD800s, but I now feel that the hotter output from the MyTek combined with 7236/5998 power tubes on the WA22 have finally provided the power/sound I like.
I feed the MyTek lossless using both the USB2 and Firewire inputs. I haven't tried 192 flac yet, but I have many 88.2/96k flac music files and like the MyTek very much.

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #134 of 351
Quote:
Hello DG, FWIW I also have the MyTek 192. I didn't find the MyTek HF output to be sufficient for driving my HD800s. I now run the MyTek balanced outputs in "volume bypass mode" directly to my WA22 balanced inputs. I had been using the WA22 to power the HD800s, but I now feel that the hotter output from the MyTek combined with 7236/5998 power tubes on the WA22 have finally provided the power/sound I like.
I feed the MyTek lossless using both the USB2 and Firewire inputs. I haven't tried 192 flac yet, but I have many 88.2/96k flac music files and like the MyTek very much.

so you need really good power tubes on the WA22 + the mytek with its higher voltage before the HD 800s are powered right?  they sounded fine to me, and can get plenty loud right out of the mytek, or even my weaker WA2 with regular tubes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back