Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC/Preamp/Amplifier Thread
Feb 11, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #76 of 351
Quote:
^ Earfonia is right, the DSD implementation is really well done. Ever since my acquisition of the Mytek DAC I have built a substantial library of SACD iso rips (by a PS3)! The DSD sound is simply amazing, and there are so many details that sprout out. I am currently considering getting the remote control to manage the DAC from afar whilst in the living room, have you tried it Earfonia?

I agree with you, DSD is excellent sounding, more analog with lifelike detail :)
I haven't tried the remote option.

I found the USB 1.1 input and the USB 2.0 input, has slightly different sound, when comparing PCM files.  Maybe because of different driver.  The USB 1.1 using the native windows driver for audio interface, while USB 2.0 using the USBPAL driver from Mytek.
I prefer the sound of the USB 2.0 input, with USBPAL driver, sounds smoother :)  Anyone notice the different?

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #77 of 351
Quote:
I agree with you, DSD is excellent sounding, more analog with lifelike detail :)
I haven't tried the remote option.

I found the USB 1.1 input and the USB 2.0 input, has slightly different sound, when comparing PCM files.  Maybe because of different driver.  The USB 1.1 using the native windows driver for audio interface, while USB 2.0 using the USBPAL driver from Mytek.
I prefer the sound of the USB 2.0 input, with USBPAL driver, sounds smoother :)  Anyone notice the different?

Definitely, there is a difference between USB 1.1 and 2.0. I concur that it is much smoother and there is much less grain, especially at the upper-end.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #78 of 351
I just got done inserting the Mytek 192 into my office headphone rig. Haven't updated my profile yet, but here is a quick description:

1. 2012 Mac mini w/ 16gb RAM
  2. External 2tb RAID array over USB 2.0
  3. Audirvana+ 1.46 in integrated mode
  4. Mytek over Firewire
  5. Cavalli Liquid Fire Headphone amp
  6. Audeze LCD-2

Before today, I had the Mytek in my home audio system, listening to it side-by-side with a PS Audio PWD MkII and a Lumin Player, both playing back files served by MinimServer on my NAS. The Mytek did credibly there, impressively so, considering those two other DACS cost quite a bit more. It wasn't easy to conduct direct comparisons, because the PWD and Lumin both play off the network, while the Mytek required direct hookup to a computer.

I spent a couple of hours listening today, and the combo sounded delightful. Then I figured I would try the Mytek's headphone jack, something I had not done since buying it early last month. I was not expecting too much, but I was floored. Although the LF is an extremely seductive amp, and I love it [my other is a Decware Taboo, and I go back and forth between them], the Mytek sounded amazingly good, even in comparison. While I think the LF has better separation on strings, and greater air around female vocals, I was very impressed by the Mytek's overall balance, and its extremely good bass. I am accustomed to headphone amps as being throwaways in other components. Not here. I was prepared for much more solid state edginess, especially after listening to the LF for a couple of hours, but this was significantly smoother than I expected it to be. I haven't had a chance to plug in my JH-13s yet, but I will. And I suspect more critical listening will reveal some additional differences, but after about 45 minutes with the Mytek, and then some back-and-forth between the two, I have to say I am very impressed.

I then went back and re-read dukesd's initial review, and I have to say I agree with this part that I had not previously read:

Headphone Amplifer

The amplifer of the Mytek Stereo 192 DAC is capable of driving my HD800s/LCD-2s to great heights. However, I still prefer my Phonitor but I could live with the amplifer included in this DAC, and again the strong point is most definitely the bass region. The PRaT of the amplifier is neutral not enhanced at all, and the treble very neutral. The mids region are as lush as the DAC output.

Do I prefer the LF overall? Yes, like dukesd likes the Phonitor, but one could be very satisfied with a Mytek-only solution.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #79 of 351
I got the Mytek 192 only a couple of days but I'm really liking it as well. The amp section is indeed pretty nice and I'll be happy to use it for now, saving for a dedicated amp will take some time but that's no problem considering the quality of the amping section of the Mytek. For the price it's an awesome device.

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #81 of 351
Just got my Mytek Stereo 192 today.  Currently, only USB 1.1 works, no 2.0.  I tried to install the Windows drivers but got installation error; I got Windows 8 and the latest driver can only support up to Windows 7.  Anyone got this problem and found a work around this?  Also can't set up Foobar2000 ASIO output yet.  Thanks.       

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #82 of 351
Quote:
Just got my Mytek Stereo 192 today.  Currently, only USB 1.1 works, no 2.0.  I tried to install the Windows drivers but got installation error; I got Windows 8 and the latest driver can only support up to Windows 7.  Anyone got this problem and found a work around this?  Also can't set up Foobar2000 ASIO output yet.  Thanks.       

Right click on the setup file and click compatibility for Windows 7. I am on Windows 8 and it works flawlessly.

May 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #84 of 351
Anyone had a chance to compare Mytek to Centrance dacmini  (both the dac and the headphone amp)?

May 29, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #86 of 351
Here is a simple mod for the mytek. It has a output resistor of 20 ohms at the headphone jack. It was put there to protect the amp against a short . However I brought my unit to there shop in Brooklyn ,ny USA. I had them shut the resistor . And it gives more bass detail as it helps with the damping factor . The resister is on the left side facing the front when removing the cover. It also helps greatly with low impedance IEM,S or headphones. It is a worth doing mod.

Pm me if you need pics I will open it up and take a pic to show you what to do.

Also if you here artifacts useing the USB . Increase the buffer in windows . This helped me greatly . Until they gave me this info I was using FireWire as it was clear with no artifacts.

I hope this helps some people here.

Al. D

May 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #87 of 351
Quote:
Here is a simple mod for the mytek. It has a output resistor of 20 ohms at the headphone jack. It was put there to protect the amp against a short . However I brought my unit to there shop in Brooklyn ,ny USA. I had them shut the resistor . And it gives more bass detail as it helps with the damping factor . The resister is on the left side facing the front when removing the cover. It also helps greatly with low impedance IEM,S or headphones. It is a worth doing mod.

Also if you here artifacts useing the USB . Increase the buffer in windows . This helped me greatly . Until they gave me this info I was using FireWire as it was clear with no artifacts.

Al. D

Great to hear a mod for this DAC.  Shun the resistor = short it?  I use it primarily as a DAC source but it's good to know a mod for an improvement.        

May 31, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #89 of 351
Quote:

Al. D

Thank you very much!  I'm really looking how to add a bit of bass body to the headphone amplifier.
Could you kindly post a picture of the correct resistor to be shorted?

Once again, thanks a lot!

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #90 of 351
Has anyone tried to decode a DSD signal from a SACD player/transport?  I have the Oppo DV-981HD, but the DSD (or converted PCM?) signal is only available thru HDMI.  Any work around this?  Thanks for any info...     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back