Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC/Preamp/Amplifier Thread
Nov 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #181 of 351
  Also, I'm going to register a minority opinion here.  I don't really enjoy the headphone out from the Mytek itself.  Every time I compare it to the balanced output into my amp (an ECP Audio L2), it falls far short.  The bass is anemic from the headphone jack, and the soundstage is vastly smaller.  I ran a quick volume-matched ABX (with the help of my lovely wife) and correctly identified the Mytek or the ECP each time, and never preferred the Mytek.  

Everything feels constrained out of the headphone out, frequency extension is limited on both ends, and the bass is significantly less textured.  A lot of detail is smeared, which really detracts from how holographic the DAC really is.  

I ran this test on a pair of JH13s, Grado RS1, and Sennhesier HD800.  I heard similar differences on all three, which leads me to believe that it's not an issue of current, but of design.  I suspect the headphone out on the Mytek is a bolted on chip amp, and while it uses the same excellent power supply as the rest of the unit, it's not designed to the same standard.  This unit is designed as a DAC first, preamp secon, and headamp third.  If you can get away with using only the DAC, it's a great unit.

+2
I have the same opinion.  I guess it is not minority opinion.  I have both Mytek 192-DSD and Yulong DA8, and Yulong DA8 headphone output is far better than Mytek's.  Mytek headphone output is bass anemic.  Bass sounds thin and dry compared to DA8 headphone output. 

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #182 of 351

I disagree with you on one point, the Firewire sounds better. Have you tried using Audirvana instead of JRiver? It sounds and works better than JunkRiver. 

Not unless either Audirvana builds a windows client, or I figure out a way to install a SoTM card in a mac pro.  I haven't bothered hooking the Mytek up to the macbook or the mac mini, because they serve other functions in my home.  I haven't used JRiver's mac client, and I like Audirvana a lot, but I've never liked a piece of playback software better than I like JRiver's JRMC 19 for windows.  It is a joy.

Incidentally, the SoTM card (http://sotm-audio.com/english/products/tx-usbexp.php) may have something t do with why I prefer USB to Firewire.  I would give firewire a fair shot with a similar card, but there's nothing comparable.  I got a high quality PCI card, but even then it does not stack up.

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #184 of 351
Good question ... I have headphones, ciem,s and speakers . And although I love headphones speakers seem to review more about a dac , even though headphones do to if it's close speakers will be the judge..

Al D

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #185 of 351
  Did you compared the dacs using speakers?

No, only headphones.  I use the line output with Violectric HPA-V200 headphone amplifier, I would say both are very2 good.  I need to spend more time to be able to give better impression of both DAC using external headphone amplifier connected to the line output.

As for the headphone output on the DAC, Yulong DA8 headphone output sounds much better to me :)

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #186 of 351
I am not surprised as to what you have found. The headphone amp is ok but a little on the blah side of things. It is a little better with iem,s. But generally just ok. But as we listen to others we realize quickly what we are missing.

Al D

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #187 of 351
I've updated the unit's firmware, gotten the latest drivers, and carefully arranged data cables to be as far away from power cables as possible.  I'm going to give the firewire input a fair shot now that everything in the rig is (basically) set.

Anyone have recommended firewire settins for JRiver?  is anything preferred over ASIO?

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #188 of 351
INCREASE buffer size in firewire control panel on desktop. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #189 of 351
Sherwood. that is a nice usb board. where and how much???

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #190 of 351
Just did a temporary mod of shorting the two resistors in question and the difference is very noticeable (fuller, more detailed bass and less "restrained" sounding) using my JH13s. And I'm one of those firm disbelievers of much of the audiophile snake oil that plagues the Internet. From experience, I'm guessing the difference will become less noticeable the higher the impedance rating is on the connected phones.

Don't do this if you don't have experience soldering components and talk to Mytek directly about possibly voiding the warranty.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #191 of 351
Just did a temporary mod of shorting the two resistors in question and the difference is very noticeable (fuller, more detailed bass and less "restrained" sounding) using my JH13s. And I'm one of those firm disbelievers of much of the audiophile snake oil that plagues the Internet. From experience, I'm guessing the difference will become less noticeable the higher the impedance rating is on the connected phones.

Don't do this if you don't have experience soldering components and talk to Mytek directly about possibly voiding the warranty.

And be prepared, that you might kill the headphone out because of a short circuit, while you plug in your phones. The 1/4" TRS jacks can short the contacts of your 1/4" female connectors while halfway inserted, and thus overloading and breaking the headphone preamp circuit. That's the reason for the extra resistors.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #192 of 351
i am glad you liked it, its a shame it needs to be modded, but it is a big difference . the jh16 is even more of a change..

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #194 of 351
Well it is only 1 ohm . But at least it will sound its best now. The amp has a noise floor issue to, but it stops when music starts. I asked mytek but i have not found a cure for it.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #195 of 351
  Sherwood. that is a nice usb board. where and how much???

Sorry, I missed this until now.  I picked mine up from Smallgreencomputer, who specializes in such things.  It was $350.  They can be had used cheaper from time to time, but they're rather rare on the used market.  One on Audiogon for full price right now, I believe, which is crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back