Mystery of the 90 ohm Grado driver
Aug 17, 2010 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Yoga Flame

500+ Head-Fier
The sound on one driver cuts out completely if I tap it with my finger hard enough. And tapping it again brings the sound back. I did a quick check on the driver's wire terminals and they do not appear to be shorted. The wiring looks sound too. My theory at the moment is there is a small particle inside somewhere that jams up the moving parts.

I'd appreciate any advice from you experienced Grado modders. Is this something I can fix?

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 15
What does the multimeter say when probing the plug end of the headphones and wiggling the cable about? 

Your cable is bad. I'm more than 97.531% sure. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Aug 18, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks guys. I measured the resistance and the good side was fixed at around 33Ω while the bad side went as high as 90Ω, but varying each time I tapped the driver with my fingers. Jiggling the cable seems not to change anything though.

FYI I got these from someone else in this state. I had recabled them with new starquad figuring there was a short or bad solder, or even a bad wire. Will resolder the bad side again and hopefully get it right this time.

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 15
So I measured across the blobs of solder directly and got the same fluctuating ohm values as with the plug end point. Now I'm a little nervous that the tiny wires underneath might be in in an extremely delicate state. Any final tips before I desolder? Will probably put this off till tomorrow.

Aug 21, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 15
Something else seems to be going on here. I reflowed the red wire solder with helping hands and lots of flux. No improvement. Reflowed the black wire solder too. But still no improvement. Cleaned up the gunk with isopropyl alcohol also.

I measured the resistance from the plug tip to the square solder pad things on the driver at 0.6Ω each. So the wiring looks to be okay. But when I measure between the two square pads, that's when the high resistance comes in.

I suppose the next step is to desolder it completely. A solder sucker should be able to handle those large blobs easily I think. Any precautions I need to take? Any suggestions on what to do after that?

Once again I fear there might be a little wire underneath on the edge of disintegration. Can't think of anything else that would cause these high resistance readings.

Aug 21, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 15

I have a tangentially related question: how long is it safe to leave a headphone driver connected to a DMM in resistance mode? My meter applies 2.5V DC, so that would be just under 0.2W in 32 ohms. Seems pretty high.

Not that I think this has anything to do with Yoga Flame's issue, just wondering in case I ever have to diagnose a misbehaving phone.

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 15
You need to measure the output current of the meter to tell how bad it is for your headphones. The voltage into the 10Mohms of another meter is meaningless when it can only put out 0.000001A

Hook the meter set up to measure resistance up to another meter set to measure current. Use current into the resistance to figure out power. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back