Mystery Headphones!
Jun 5, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 15
LOL, yeah... "Model 100"

Jun 5, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 15
They look a lot like an old pair of Sennheisers.

I have a very old pair of HD420SLs, and the back of the earcup looks very much like these, with the three U shaped slots per side, each with two bars inside. An old style open headphone for sure.

Anyway, it looks a lot like my old Sennheiser hd420sls. Its obviously not the same headphone (the strap is a bit different on mine, it doesn't have the two strips going over the top of the strap), but it could be a sennheiser, or a sennheiser clone.

How do they sound? If they really are old sennheisers, then they are probably quite good, the early open headphones they made really popularized open headphones.

peace,
phidauex

Jun 5, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 15
yeh, they look almost exactly like my friends senn 420' s. phidauex, do you like the sound of those? when i tried em out they sounded muddy as hell at practically all frequencies compared to my v6's. oh and how old are they?

Jun 5, 2002 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 15
Funny, they look like an old pair of Beyers from around 1980. I'll check some old audio mags and see if I can spot it in some ads.

Jun 5, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks for the responses. Very interesting indeed. I purchased them at a yard sale from someone who didn't know anything about them, and I haven't been able to listen to them yet because I've recently packed away all my audio equipment for the summer. I'll listen on a friends stereo tonight and report my findings.

Perhaps you can't tell from the picture but they seem to be in extremely good condition. The earpads are not worn at all and the cord appears stiff as if it hadn't been much unravelled.

I've attached a slightly closer look of the headphones. Both earpieces have the same "Model 100" on the side. When I bought them I was very excited because I vaguely remembered seeing them before at a Hi-Fi audio shop not so long ago.

Jun 5, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
My guess is the same as Beagle's: they look like old Beyers.

I must confess that there is a certain similarity between those '100s' and my old DT231s... you guys could well be right
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 15
Hmmm, my guess would go in the mbquart or Ultrasone direction - but on the other hand the arcs in the earcups indeed look more like Sennheiser...

Puzzled greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 5, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 15
Those vents on the side look very Beyerdynamic to me!
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #13 of 15
Update: I sent a picture of the headphones to beyerdynamic and asked them if they could tell me anything about them. This was the response:

I've been with beyerdynamic for 30 years and I have never seen these before.
Sorry.

Regards,
Bob Lowig

Any ideas?

Jun 10, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 15
They are probably some cheap rip-off from Hong Kong in the early eighties or something.

Worst case sceneario you could use them to mod... maybe take some Koss drivers and throw in there.

Jun 11, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #15 of 15
I've seen these before, and I first thought they were Sennheisers also. But I don't think they are. All the old Sennheisers had that thin cable material, kind of like what they use for the HD600. Those look like far-east stuff, with the thick, cheap cable. But the earcups do look almost exactly like the old 420s. I think my dad had some of those back in the day...

-slidescanner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back