Mystery Box Review
Jun 6, 2002 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 102

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
The "Mystery Box" has been to Oregon and is now on it's way to Hawaii. I had a good time listening to all the CD's. Okay not all, some were just not my cup of tea. I did score on a CREAM cd Disraeli Gears. It has Strange Brew on it. I had been trying to find that song on cd and hadn't had much luck. I also got Rush 2112. I almost bought this cd a couple of months ago on a trip to northern Washington and didn't for some reason. I had been kicking myself ever since. Now I'm glad I didn't buy it then.
There was a good variety of music in the box. Some synthesizer music that was kinda interesting. I finally got to hear some bands I had wondered about, and some I never heard of. Remember I live in the sticks and there is a lot I haven't heard of.
It was well worth the effort and small expense of shipping.
Thanks Audio Redneck for all your effort in this project.
smily_headphones1.gif

"What is the Mystery Box? - the box started as an idea by few Head-Fi'ers (thanks Clubkill) as a way to rid ourselves of CDs that we just never listen to anymore (and maybe never did) and at the same time give us a chance to sample other music. The concept is simple enough: You put in CDs you don't want any more and take at any you do. What's the catch? You have to put in at least 1 more than you take out and you might not find something you want in every box (how picky are you?) What does it cost? you have to pay to ship the box to the next guy $6-10. What kind of music? Every kind: Rock, Rap, Punk, Pop, Classical, Country - you name it, might be in there. You can read about what people have found in the box in this thread and how it got started in this thread
frown.gif
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=11353). At the time of this update there are two boxes with over 50 CDs each. If you would like to join or just find out more about it, send an email to mystery_box @ myrealbox.com. The only requirement is that you have a head-fi or headwize user name."

Jun 6, 2002 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 102
Finally!
Thanks Mr.PD!
I have spent the last couple of days saying goodbye to my contributions.
Is Clubkill back in Cali?
md

Jun 6, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 102
I will be in CA 26th of June. I can probably fill a box myself, so maybe send two half-filled ones my way and i will se what I can do to top em off. ; )

Sounds like it is going well so far, I can wait to get a crack at it.

Jun 7, 2002 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 102
The Eastern box is headed my way today. Hopefully it will arrive early next week. Have a few ready to swap out. In away I hope there are not too many I want as I wanted to save a few for the second box when it arrives. will report on what I added next week.

Jun 10, 2002 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 102
The Box arrived on Saturday. I have given it the once through and found some interesting stuff.
I got Bush's Sixteen Stone, a Morphine disc and some Spyro Gyra.
I was tempted to trade out a couple of more titles, then remembered that I should save some suff for the next round. There were a couple of titles in there that I almost bought, some titles that I already had, and some titles I never heard of.
I actually expected to see some obscure music; most of it was mainstream. I guess we just got tired of listening to it .
Off to andrzejpw!
The Mystery Box Tour continues!
md

Jun 11, 2002 at 9:46 AM Post #6 of 102
millerdog, I almost took that Spyro Gyra CD myself. If I hadn't been on this quest for ever faster/harder music this last month I would have taken it.
I am surprised you got the box on Saturday. That is quicker than I expected.
Can't wait 'till the next box comes by.

Jun 11, 2002 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 102
Actually the Spyra Gyro was my last pick. It was between that and....well....
Glad you didn't take it..lol.
The Mystery Box is the coolest thing since ebay.
md

Jun 12, 2002 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 102
SpyraGyro was a tough one to pass up. I used to play a lot of them in college (I did the DJ thing at the college station, mostly jazz 'n classical)

Thanks for the updates guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 102
Well, its saturday, and if all goes well, the mystery box will be here today!

I think I'm going to sit outside, ready to tackle the mail man.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Wait, and my cds from columbiahouse should come today! BEAUTIFUL DAY!

Jun 12, 2002 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Well, its saturday,

Isn't it Wednesday??

Jun 12, 2002 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by 2 channel

Isn't it Wednesday??

Perhaps he gave up on the Bose cancelling headphones and invented a day cancelling device. A time warp in PA or maybe one too many beers with his cheese steak sandwich.

Jun 12, 2002 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 102
Oh GOD!

SOrry, lol. My last day of school was yesterday. I'm still not used to it. I thought it was sat, since friday is the last day of the week.

Sorry!

I'm not flasken! I swear!

Jun 12, 2002 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 102
Man I had to look at the calender! Did I forget to send out the Box?
I feel asleep with the tv and computer on, got up to turn em off and had a serious twilight zone moment!
Now, I might as well have breakfast.
md

Jun 12, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 102
Submitted for your approval;
a man, a box of cds, a set of headphones, a source and an amp.
which cds to take and which to send? a delema of monstrous proportions. Wait, is it Wedneday? Is it Saturday? I just don't know anymore, the days just seem to run together when your involved in the realm of headphones...next stop, THE TWILIGHT ZONE
do do do do, do do do do

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back