Mystery Box Review
Aug 21, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #76 of 102
John, Bubba, Andrzej, MikeG and Dark Clouds check your mail.

wink.gif

Aug 24, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #77 of 102
Ok, the box has been shipped. Sorry it took so long, I had a good bit of things to do, so it just sat on my shelf for a day or so.

Aug 24, 2002 at 1:32 PM Post #78 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
Wait, sorry, put three discs in, so it will leave with 46 discs.

I took out:
King Crimson: Lizard
Jean-Luc Ponty: Cosmic Messenger
Acoustic Alchemy: Reference Point
Josh Groban: Josh Groban
Yes: Close to the Edge

I hope you enjoy the Josh Groban. I put that one in by mistake, although I am not sure who is at fault here. My daughter had put out a few as replacements for the ones she took and somehow Josh's CD that belongs to my wife got in there. Well after alot of verbal pain I bought her another. So all is back to normal.

Aug 25, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #79 of 102
I sent Box 1 out to MikeG yesterday (Friday). He should hopefully have it by Tuesday or Wednesday.

CaptBubba - with the exception of Josh Groban, the rest of those discs you chose were mine. I hope you enjoy! The Yes and King Crimson are especially good (the only reason I put them in there is 'cause I bought newer CDs with better liner notes - either I'm a true fan or a real sucker).

Aug 26, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #80 of 102
I figured you had put those in after looking at your profile. The bad thing is that I have seemingly misplaced the "Cosmic Messenger" cd, and I haven't had time to copy them to my HD for backup.

I can't figure out where the hell it is, and that really bugs me. I really liked it too, dammit. Maybe they will release a SACD of it soon. If not I'll have to order it next time I buy from amazon.

-edit nevermind, I found it. Hiding under my Chem textbook. This reafirms my belief that chemistry is evil.

Aug 28, 2002 at 2:54 PM Post #83 of 102
Try not to keep it longer than 5 days. With the holiday, I don't think it will matter much if you go over a day or two, but try figure no more than a day for every 10 disks in the box (figuring, that at least 1/4 of them you will know you aren't interested in just by looking.)

Basically, if you are REALLY listening to (most)everything in the box, take as long as you need, but don't let it just sit on you desk for three days and decide you need it for another 3-4.

How many are in that box again?

Aug 28, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #85 of 102
Mailing Mystery Box #1 today to CaptBubba. Really enjoyed listening to lots of the 52 disks in the box. Kept 4 disks, and added 6. Box #1 leaving with 54 disks.

I kept the following:

Roxette: Look Sharp
La Bouche: Sweet Dreams
Wavestar: Moonwind
Common Thread: The Songs of Eagles

Great fun, thanks.

Sep 17, 2002 at 2:18 PM Post #88 of 102
Bubba's box is on its way to me for a split. I'm traveling this week, but will try to get an update out by tomorrow.

Sep 30, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #89 of 102
Just to update you,

I'm out of town again this week. I got the box from CaptBubba. I'm listening to a few and a friend is going through it at the moment. I also have some guys at work that are wanting to have a look. The other box is with Matthew. I'll send out the updated list when I get back to the office.

I'll be sending my box to PepsiOne in Canada at the end of this week. Once he sends it back to the states we will split it.

andrzejpw will take over duties as organizer/scheduler next week. I'll should still be available to lend a hand, but work the next few months is going to keep me out of the office and away from my desk.

Later

Oct 21, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #90 of 102
Well hopefully PepsiOne has the box I sent him by now. When I got home this weekend I found I had gotten Box 2 with 48 CDs from Matthew. I will have it with me at the office today and tomorrow (Box 1 got at least 5 extra CDs from bringing it to work). I hope to ship it to Tyll by Thursday.

Finds: Out of Box 1 I pulled -
Glen Gould: Bach-Goldberg Variations; (classical)
Alternative Unplugged - Brow Beat (Various Artists) (Jesus Rock)
Guardian: Buzz (Jesus Rock)

The two I am certain to pull out of Box 2 is:
DeGarmo & Key: Destine to Win (Jesus Rock)
Ricky Van Shelton: Backroads (Country)

Thanks to whoever made these contributions.
smily_headphones1.gif
I also noticed that 3 of the first 4 I added have been pulled and that MOST of the other "pilot" CDs have been pulled. So there is definately some turn-over taking place and the "second time around" is worth the look.

FWIW: 50 CDs is costing about $9 to ship (Shipping was about $18 to Canada, I suggest that we only ship to Pepsi when there is a full box to make it worth his while). I've gotten 6 CDs I will listen to and gave up now 8 I won't. Not counting the disks I gave up, I figure I am out about $6.50 per disk (less than my local used CD stores) and only that much because I sent the pilots and the extra cost to Pepsi in Canada. Otherwise it would be closer to $4 per disk, which is about as good as I have done anywhere else. I have also gotten to sample a lot of stuff that I haven't heard before (or at least not in a long time).

Later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back