"Mystery" Amp
Jan 10, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #376 of 570
The black one is a really nice glossy black finish.

And it hides the ugly black plastic knob well
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #378 of 570
Yeah, it is tiny
smily_headphones1.gif

Listening to it now with my DT-531's... Sounds good so far!

One slightly strange thing happened though. When charging, it got warm, then after a couple of hours it went cold, but the LED on the back stayed red for ages... Until it fell off the side of the sofa, onto the cushion where it collided with the Sky remote control... Then the LED turned green!

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #379 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it is tiny
smily_headphones1.gif

Listening to it now with my DT-531's... Sounds good so far!

One slightly strange thing happened though. When charging, it got warm, then after a couple of hours it went cold, but the LED on the back stayed red for ages... Until it fell off the side of the sofa, onto the cushion where it collided with the Sky remote control... Then the LED turned green!

Yes, by pure chance you have the sequence for first time charging. So often this is over looked or a suitable substitute for a Sky remote is not at hand. :^)

I find the amp to have a very comfortable natural way with music. I even get a 3D feeling at times. It is not as open as my LE but it has a quality all its own that is more like enjoy music in a good club. I am glad I have two as this is an amp I will enjoy for a long time.

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #380 of 570
so i decided i want one of these. just want a few last things cleared up.

dimensions? weight? too big for my jacket pocket? lack of portability could be the dealbreaker. i want this pretty much exclusively for my ipod.

i read from several of you a while back about needing some special cord because the chinese outlets (lack of a better term, i'm new) are different from US. is that right and if so what exactly do i need to purchase to use this?

any of you have a pair of sr60s or portapros/ksc75s you've tried this with? does this amp make a noticeable improvement?

why does the black cost more than the silver? just a higher demand or what? if i best offer'd a black one for the same as the silver you think the seller will bite at the same price regardless?

all help appreciated. really close to getting this.

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #381 of 570
In China the price is the same for any color. It is small and would be fine in most any pocket. I don't know the weight but it is one of the smaller portables on the market. It works great with my PortaPros.

The AC adapter doesn't have the plug for China but for Europe. You will either have to cut off the prongs and rewire it to a flat pronged type plug, which is what I did or you can get an adapter that goes from the round
European type to the flat type that works in China and the US. You should be able to get an adapter from Radio Shack or a place like it.

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #382 of 570
I don't think the black is more than the silver - it looks to me like the seller is posting ebay ads in different currencies (USD, GBP, AUD), and the exchange rates used by eBay are making them convert to slightly different amounts. It looks like you get to choose the color when you win the auction.

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #383 of 570
When I had my 9 portable amps all in house, the Xtra was the smallest except for the RSA Tomahawk.

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #384 of 570
I changed one to a gain of 15 and it does seem like there are slight improvements in dynamics when compared to the other amps I am using as a control group. The bass, to me, is about the same good but not quite as good as the LD Micro Tube.

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #385 of 570
ok guys, i put in my offer for $70, ready and willing to pay the buy it now price though. if someone could just link me to a picture/name of whatever it is i'm going to need to buy in order to use the thing i'll be set until i actually get this in my hands.

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #386 of 570
My first post here... xP I ordered one of these not so long ago... I'm currently using a ltm+ with my a700s, shure e5s and senn 555s, The ltm+ is satisfying portability wise But I hope that the xtra improves the sounds on it as some of you said its better. Its pretty cheap so I guess I wont be hurt too much if it doesnt satisfy me.

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #387 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by rypin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first post here... xP I ordered one of these not so long ago... I'm currently using a ltm+ with my a700s, shure e5s and senn 555s, The ltm+ is satisfying portability wise But I hope that the xtra improves the sounds on it as some of you said its better. Its pretty cheap so I guess I wont be hurt too much if it doesnt satisfy me.

Welcome!!

For me, it improved with use. I found the sound cleaned up, the bass improved and it became much more transparent. This is against some very stiff competition from the amps I have listed in my sig. I think it can hang in there with the best, after it has a 100 to 200 hours of use/music. Try the high gain setting. I am hearing improvements over what I already liked.

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #388 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok guys, i put in my offer for $70, ready and willing to pay the buy it now price though. if someone could just link me to a picture/name of whatever it is i'm going to need to buy in order to use the thing i'll be set until i actually get this in my hands.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=249

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #389 of 570
Seeing as i've decided that this is the amp for me, just wondering if it is worth upgrading the mini-mini cable that comes with the amp; and, if so, can someone point me in the direction of a good cable to buy at a decent price (can probably pay up to about 30ish dollars)

Jan 11, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #390 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossy836 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seeing as i've decided that this is the amp for me, just wondering if it is worth upgrading the mini-mini cable that comes with the amp; and, if so, can someone point me in the direction of a good cable to buy at a decent price (can probably pay up to about 30ish dollars)

Save your $$$ - the cable with it is fine albeit a straight rather than right angled entry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back