"Mystery" Amp
Jan 8, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #361 of 570
Bugger...

Just called OCS customer service in the UK and they say mine's not in the country yet
frown.gif

Called their Import dept too and they said the same thing
frown.gif

So much for having it for my trip to London on wednesday.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #362 of 570
My black x1 arrived today via ups. I looks like a nice amp but I can't get it to turn on. Did you guys have to charge it fully before turning it on? Is there some trick I am missing? btw, I have the plug adapter and it is currently plugged in and charging.(the charging light is red).

/EDIT
I took the insides out of the case and the amp works. I carefully reassembled it and now all is good. I've only had about 5 minutes of listening time so I don't have any impressions yet.

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #363 of 570
Still not arrived
frown.gif

Anyway, not sure if this has been covered in this thread already, but here's a copy of the manual that deals with gain settings:

x1jumpersettingte9.jpg

Thanks to headphonehaven for this.

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #364 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still not arrived
frown.gif

Anyway, not sure if this has been covered in this thread already, but here's a copy of the manual that deals with gain settings:

x1jumpersettingte9.jpg

Thanks to headphonehaven for this.

Thank you for that. My only problem with the amp is the fact that I can't turn the volume past 8 o'clock without it getting too loud. I think somebody mentioned changing the gain sometime ago but they didn't say how. Thanks again.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #365 of 570
gain of 0 should solve all of your problems. =T not being able to go past 8 o'clock is insane, a slight touch of the volume knob might blow your ears up.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #366 of 570
Indeed. I had to turn down to volume of my DAP to compensate. This is much better now; somewhere around 9:30 on the dial. Funny that there was no mention of gain adjustment on the auction page nor did the seller mention it when I asked for a low gain model. Thanks again for the info MrJoshua.

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #367 of 570
what's the cheapest way of getting these as a resident of the US? started at the beginning of the thread, something about being significantly cheaper on a chinese ebay, yada yada. can someone summarize? i need a late pass.

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #368 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the cheapest way of getting these as a resident of the US? started at the beginning of the thread, something about being significantly cheaper on a chinese ebay, yada yada. can someone summarize? i need a late pass.

These can be had on the US ebay for about 90-110 USD. There is one seller right now shipping from China. The response time is excellent, and you can expec to receive it quickly (air mail). I ordered mine on the 28th of Dec and received it on Jan. 8th. Mostly due to the fact there was New Year's holiday in combination with President Ford's day of mourning.

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #369 of 570
i see. what's his name on there?

and just for my own peace of mind, was there actually a time when we could've gotten one of these for something like 50 bucks? i know i read somewhere in the beginning that someone in this thread bought one in chinese currency which was about half of what they're apparently going for now.

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #370 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i see. what's his name on there?

and just for my own peace of mind, was there actually a time when we could've gotten one of these for something like 50 bucks? i know i read somewhere in the beginning that someone in this thread bought one in chinese currency which was about half of what they're apparently going for now.

Uh. Not in the United States. I think there were a couple of posters who grabbed theirs in China/HK area. Which when translated to much cheaper prices, about 50 USD. People who were buying direct were spending about 80 USD to have it shipped out to the US. But I prefer the use of eBay as opposed to a foreign site which I really can't read. Since you're in the US/EU expect to pay alot more. As with most foreign things, expect some pricing mark-ups for simply being American as well as air shipping all the way out here (unless you want to opt for the cheapest shipping ever, which sometimes takes 3 weeks or more).

But as i said, very nice product. Mine is still being burned in, I have about 20 hours on it now. I'm very pleased with it, especially for the price. The shipping was prompt, sent via a Chinese shipping company to the US, and then shipped via DHL to my home in California. I was able to pay in paypal, offering some security, and the seller's English was acceptable and was very accomodating.

Here is a current listing on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/X1-Hifi-Portable...QQcmdZViewItem

To get a low price, do a "best offer" option. I asked for $70 on the amp, and had it counter offered for $75. So after shipping it was $93 all together. The regular price is $117.

Jan 10, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #371 of 570
Here in China these go for about 40 dollars or so and they make a profit. If the seller is in China they are just getting more bucks from you and getting plenty of good ole profit. There is no reason to mark them up that much. The shipping should be by EMS and the pricing posted would be about right for that. They often see what people are willing to pay, just like anywhere, and go for it. It isn't just that people have more money or a higher disposable income in the US and other countries that do have higher incomes than here, they also just know you will pay more. I can buy things in WalMart cheaper in the US than they often sell for here in China because Wallymart can do this and so could/can people who are selling items on Ebay from China but there isn't strong enough competition to push the price back down.

So the amps sells for around 40 dollars here and they make a profit. They don't look for as great a profit as in many countries so there may be a hard cost of 28 or 30 dollars in the unit. Labor is cheap so that keeps that cost down. If I bought 10 or so of these here I could get them for around 35 dollars and people are paying 3 times that price. The amp to me sounds great but why not have a great sounding amp for 60 dollars? I bought a great 25 watt soldering iron here for $2.50. It would sell for 15 or 20 in the states so should I go on Ebay and sell it for 12 dollars and make a killing or maybe for 6 and give everyone a break? It's your call.

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #372 of 570
Yay, mine arrived today!!!

Just charging it now
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #373 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay, mine arrived today!!!

Just charging it now
smily_headphones1.gif

Great - mine is sounding much better now.

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #374 of 570
Over on HeadphoneHaven they reckon that changing this to the highest gain tightens the bass and improves the treble a great deal, even with IEM's.

Might be worth trying.

Oh, and glad yours is sounding better now
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #375 of 570
Tempted to pick one of these up but can't decide between black or silver; any ideas as to which looks nicer (i'm rather partial to the silver).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back