MYSTERY:a burned disc is it WAV or Mp3 (SOLVED #32)
Aug 28, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 34
1: Stick it in a cd player that does not play MP3s
2: Press Play

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 34
was thinking more along the lines of:
you open up in computer:
go to to properties:
it reads out what the rate is,
something along that line as the players I have all play Mp3s, wav etc...
thanks for reply, though as I was not clear in wanting to use of my computer.
I lack the info to go to the right place or the step by step sequence, etc...

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 34
or, you know, if there's more than 72 minutes of audio. or if there's 72 minutes of audio and only 1/10th of the disc burnt.

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 34
Of course, if there was actually mp3 files burned to the disk, this would be an easy one.

When I read the OP, I thought they were audio tracks burned to the disc... and he wants to know if they were actually lossless wav tracks or mp3 => wav tracks missing lots of info.

I'm not sure what the best way to do this is... Don't people actually open up a sample of the waveform in an editor and literally judge it from there?

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or insert it into a PC optical drive. You can see the file extensions on the files.

Exactly!
smily_headphones1.gif

Pop it into your computer and look at the file endings. .wav = WAVE, .mp3 = MP3

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 34
I'm pretty sure he's referring to CD's burned as CDDA.

In which case you could use Trader's Little Helper. It has a utility that will check wav files to tell you the likelihood that it's from a lossy source.

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 34
Should be easy enough if you look at the spectrals. mp3s usually have hard cut offs in the extreme high end that lossless files don't have.

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should be easy enough if you look at the spectrals. mp3s usually have hard cut offs in the extreme high end that lossless files don't have.

We have a winner ! even a really good MP3 will drop off rapidly after 19K or 20K, in theory with LAME 3.92 you can set the low pass to 22.05 but whenever I have tried this it will still truncate high frequencies abnormally while a wav file will slope off more gradually.

In later versions of LAME the ability to set really high low pass filters has been more or less disabled.

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 34
Actually I seem to be under a misapprehension: I thought commercial discs, (or are they called Red Book), are WAV files or at least 1411. From that, you can change them to lets say an MP3 file at 192.
However, you can't go from lets say an MP3 file at 128 to a WAV file. I thought that you lose quality or it just can't be done.
What I tried to ask, (not properly), is how you could put in a burned disc, (NOT knowing if it's either a WAV or MP3), and find out what the original type and quality or speed of the disc was made at. You could then adjust your quality as needed.
I think I should learn more about the format, and how to mix, edit, and fade till I know how to ask something correctly. I hope I didn't waste anyones time and thanks for the answers. I just might go to Google and check this out with a little more detail before I try anything....

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 34
You're correct in that a compressed file cannot be "returned" to lossless, the bits have been thrown away forever.

I don't understand that last question: "and find out what the original type and quality or speed of the disc was made at".

If your disc in question was an mp3 file burned as CDA, it could be compressed to mp3 again which would be a very bad thing and sound awful. This would be obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back