My wooden rack
Feb 18, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #46 of 61
Woodworking = clamps.

So, flexi, represent, and on duty.

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #47 of 61
I'm fully aware that clamps make wood/metal working possible, I just forgot to add a smiley
tongue.gif
forums aren't the best method for attempting to convey humour
biggrin.gif

Very nice pabbi, its always a special moment when you first place your gear onto your new piece of furniture...... and it doesn't collapse
icon10.gif

Bilavideo, I've been around a bit but can safely say I've never been pinocchio's beeatch.

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #48 of 61
Al, I think it's time to pony up the dough for some black threaded rod for that rack! Looks great either way but would become even more "furniture like" with understated rods.

Here's my latest flexi, built to get all my crap off my workspace and also to please the wife.

medium.jpg

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #49 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Al, I think it's time to pony up the dough for some black threaded rod for that rack! Looks great either way but would become even more "furniture like" with understated rods.

Then what would my wife have to whine about?

I agree - but where to source better 5/8" rod, washers and bolts? Could just mask if off, and whip out the Krylon...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then what would my wife have to whine about?

I'm guessing she'll find something.
wink.gif

Quote:

I agree - but where to source better 5/8" rod, washers and bolts? Could just mask if off, and whip out the Krylon...
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a look at part #:94210A015 for the rods and 91030A035 for the nuts (oooh, flange nuts for the lazy win) at McMaster Carr. If you need longer they have 36" and 6' lengths that you could cut down. Admittedly I'm not 100% sure about how the Black Oxide finish would look but I intend to try it out one of these days.

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

I'm guessing she'll find something.
wink.gif

Have a look at part #:94210A015 for the rods and 91030A035 for the nuts (oooh, flange nuts for the lazy win) at McMaster Carr. If you need longer they have 36" and 6' lengths that you could cut down. Admittedly I'm not 100% sure about how the Black Oxide finish would look but I intend to try it out one of these days.

Yep, we'll see how it looks - for only $70. Should be here by midweek next, so I'll update then.

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #53 of 61
If you don't like the threaded rod look, you can always put tubing around the rod (painted or otherwise) and use a forstner bit to counter sink the ends of the tubing into the shelves for a really finished look. Personally, I kind of like the industrial look of the threaded rod. I built one of these about 15 years ago constructed like Al's, but with 5 MDF shelves painted black.
Nice work everyone! I like seeing all this woodworking here.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #54 of 61
Quote:

Yep, we'll see how it looks - for only $70. Should be here by midweek next, so I'll update then.

Can't wait to see the results and thanks for taking one for the team.

And thanks Steve, it makes working in the DIY lab a very pleasant experience. I added a preamp this weekend so this is what the whole rig looks like now.

122109526.jpg

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by srserl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't like the threaded rod look, you can always put tubing around the rod (painted or otherwise) and use a forstner bit to counter sink the ends of the tubing into the shelves for a really finished look.

I had mentioned this to Nate as well. Another nice thing with tubing is that it alleviates the need for many of the nuts. Easier to paint, or you can go with aluminum, laquered copper- or verdigris copper if you are building one for Martha Stewart. Not as readily adjustable, but sometimes the swmbo factor weighs in more heavily when furniture is involved.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #56 of 61
Quote:

122109526.jpg

That's a HUGE nut, guy. I mean really huge.
Where is the rack that goes with that one?

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #57 of 61
The rods came in, but they are the wrong size - 5/8 instead of the 3/4 I used originally.

Looks good, and I'm sure it's plenty strong, but, not the same. Bummer.

Measure twice, order once. My bad.

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #58 of 61
The black oxide does look sharp, though.
Does it seem pretty durable when threading parts over it?

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #59 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a HUGE nut, guy. I mean really huge.
Where is the rack that goes with that one?

Heh, that was part of a large timber truss in a building that I worked on at Endicott College in MA. I think it weighs 10lbs or so and likes to damage fingers.

Quote:

The rods came in, but they are the wrong size - 5/8 instead of the 3/4 I used originally.

That's my fault, in your original description of the rack you said the thread was "5/6" which I took as a typo to mean 5/8" diameter so those were the part numbers I pulled for you. Sorry man. Regardless I think it looks great - same question are Mark though, how durable does the finish seem?

Quote:

Looks good, and I'm sure it's plenty strong, but, not the same. Bummer.

You know what, I'd take it as an opportunity to do some lunatic decoupling/vibration control. You now have a 1/16" gap all the way around the rod which if you wanted to be ghetto you could fill by wrapping the threaded rod with gasket tape. I'm sure given enough time we could find an appropriate size of rubber tubing to slide over the threaded rod and do the same thing but that would essentially isolate the rods from the shelves which would make any true audiophile envious.

FWIW I've never seen the point of using 3/4" rod with these racks. The octo-flexi I posted above only uses 1/2".

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #60 of 61
Bah, my bad all the way - I knew it was 3/4 and could have checked the parts myself. You are right - the 5/8 is stout enough, just not extremely over spec a la HF standard. I do have teflon tape, but the tube idea is very enticing.

I does look tres cool, even if my wife didn't notice, but, then again, she ignores everything in the 'Might-Clash Palace' except for her exercise bike - go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back