my Westone UM2s broke.. replacement suggestions?
May 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jscivias

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am new here. I have had Westone UM2s since 2006, and after sending these in for cable repairs about three times after my warranty expired, I now gave up on paying again to get the cables fixed.  so I am thinking of getting new IEMs, but I haven't been following hi-fi stuff for years so I've no idea what I should look into.  I was very satisfied with UM2s, minus the constant cable issue..  anyone have any suggestions? Ever since moving to a smaller town, I can barely find any store here where I can actually audition headphones.. thanks in advance. 

May 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 7
Don't know if it's an option, but you could get the um2's reshelled into customs.

Cheers

May 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 7
The GR07 are very good sounding for the price and will replace them well because highly detailed soundquality, punchy bass, crisp clear mids, highs and wider soundstage with great builtquality. The other IEMs like UE TF10Pro, JVC FXZ100, FXZ200 and Sony EX7550 are also recommended too.

May 17, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 7
First off -  http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
Multi-IEM Review - 281 IEMs compared (VSonic GR07 BE and R02 Silver Added 05/15/13 p.688)
In case you haven't found these - other places to ask questions regarding portable gear.

Don't throw away what ain't broke? (well in this case it is actually broke - I'm referring to the sound of course). If you liked the sound and have had it for so long, I'd see no reason to upgrade/replace or otherwise. In fact I'd be sentimentally attached to it for having it for so long - would never bare to throw something like that away if I was in your position.

Definitely consider a re-cabling or at least a mod for them to take in replaceable cables (you don't have to use their cable - anything that fits the connector should work). The reshelling option definitely sounds appealing as well.

May 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 7
If money isn't an issue, I would say the W4R is the next logical step up if you enjoy the UM2 sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back