My Very Low Budget Nearfield Desktop Rig (Lepai amp and Dayton Audio speakers)
Feb 5, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #61 of 193
Quote:
I may give it a shot iust for kick. I just do not like heavy bass for 2 chanel audio. I want clean mid range and mid bass. But for kick$20.00 with one year warranty, that' s less than $2.00 month. Too cheap for an ear orgasm.

yea... you can use a passive subwoofer.  i am using an old Sony subwoofer from a HT i had without no use,  nice!

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #62 of 193
I read somewhere that someone has an idea to cut the exact dimension and install the Lepai insie the sub or the full range speakers with only the face plate of the Lepai shown. That will be awesome. Are you thinking what I am thinking? There is a lot of room inside that sub.

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #63 of 193
yea... you can use a passive subwoofer.  i am using an old Sony subwoofer from a HT i had without no use,  nice!

I was wondering who would find that sub output useful to power a sub. It so hard to find a passive subwoofer these days. I bet the best bet is to find a HTIB setup like you have that someone tore up the speakers and is selling the sub cheap.

Car audio subs might work, but we'd have to know the impedance capability of the Lepai. Many car audio subs are 2 or 4 ohm, and I would suspect that the Lepai might have problems with that (just a guess).

Of course it could be useful for home audio subs with amplifiers built in that have high level speaker inputs. That would give someone the ability to tweak the bass output via the Lepai.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #64 of 193
On my "regular" Lepai (the LP-2020A+) there is the "tone / direct" button. I prefer the sound in direct mode and I have my EQ in foobar and my subwoofer controls all set to provide my best sound in direct mode.

However, I sometimes use the "tone / direct" button as a sort-of "instant bass cut" feature. I leave the bass dial on the Lepai set on less than 12 o'clock. Then, if I'm playing a mixed playlist and a song comes on that has much deeper bass than others and my subwoofer starts kickin' a little too much, I sometimes use that button as a lazy man's way of getting an instant bass cut.

Of course, I could just switch to a different EQ preset in foobar, turn the volume down, mess with my subwoofer controls, etc. But sometimes I find that button handy for an easy, instant, and temporary bass cut.

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #65 of 193
Guys,I really love my Iphone3g/4G and my Itouch 4G with the Lepai 2020+.I now just try the SamSung Galaxy Tab 2 and I do not like that " polite sound". It's smooth but less define, less dynamic and less punch as the Iphone/ Itouch. I could not find any EQ on the Samsung Galaxy tab2...Is it it is what it is ? or there is the way to add an EQ app to my Samsung Tab.

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #66 of 193
I don't have any experience with Android-based tablets, but you may be able to find some information here:

http://www.androidauthority.com/best-sound-audio-equalizer-apps-android-103890/

Maybe someone else can chime in with more info...

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #67 of 193
Guys,I really love my Iphone3g/4G and my Itouch 4G with the Lepai 2020+.I now just try the SamSung Galaxy Tab 2 and I do not like that " polite sound". It's smooth but less define, less dynamic and less punch as the Iphone/ Itouch. I could not find any EQ on the Samsung Galaxy tab2...Is it it is what it is ? or there is the way to add an EQ app to my Samsung Tab.

I have a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. I would not rate the SQ of the headphone output on my Samsung tablet to be that great.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #68 of 193
Hey, if I use the Rocketfish bluetooth receicer, Does it mean I send the analog signal from let say Iphone, Itouch to the Rocketfish then to the Lepai? Or the Rocket Fish has its own D& A chip ?

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #69 of 193
If you are sending the signal wirelessly from your iDevice to the Rocketfish bluetooth receiver and then using the analog (3.5mm) output of the Rocketfish bluetooth receiver to go to the Lepai, then you are using the DAC in the Rocketfish.

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #70 of 193
Well, I received my 6A power supply (see below), and while I would love to tell yall that the difference was night and day, I have to say, I could not really hear any difference.

Was dissapointed in the actual product I was sent, it was different than in the discription, and the actual product sent was NOT UL Listed, whereas the pictured power supply WAS UL listed.  Also, the product I received was generic, whereas the referenced product had a brand name "Kinamax".

Also, I do not have a way to measure the output of the power supply.  Thinking of complaining to Amazon, and sending it back, and ordering this one:
http://www.12vadapters.com/adapter/power-supply/12v/5-amp-ul-listed-2.html

Quote:
I just hooked up this little amp to some 25-30 year old Polk 5JR speakers, and to my Sansa Fuze, and wow, nice sound!  Still a lot of life left in those old speakers!

I also read that people have replaced the 12V 2amp (2000mha) with a (12vDC) 5 or 6 amp.  They say they get cleaner sound, more sound, less distortion.

I ordered a Kinamax AD-LCD12 LCD Monitors 12V 6A 72W AC Adapter Power Supply from Amazon.com for like 11.00 (free shipping for prime members).  I should get it in the next day or two.

I also see on amazon that they have some models with USB and SD slots, and can directly play MP3's.

I brought this for my dog, to play music during the day, so if I knew that there was a LEPAI amp that had USB/SD slots and would directly play MP3's, I probably would have bought that one.  I turn it on and off everyday with a fancy "christmas light" timer.  I know my fuze does not use a lot of electricity, but I have to keep the fuze on, while I can power off the amp, so having an included player would have been nice.

Quote:

Be sure and check back and let us know how that power supply works out for you! 
popcorn.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #71 of 193
I can't say I'm surprised, BuddTX. I doubt a power supply can improve the sound of the Lepai much. Many people run the Lepai off of (for lack of a better term) something like a car battery. I can see where battery power might be slightly cleaner than A/C.

I think a more powerful A/C power supply could only provide perhaps just a bit more power. I'm not sure that would be very easy to notice unless you are really driving the amp to the limit.

I have to laugh, because if you bought the Lepai amp for your dog, why are you trying to eek a bit more power out of it? 
biggrin.gif

BTW, as far as the other Lepai amps go,  I'm pretty sure all of the Lepai amps don't use the same Tripath chip. I think some people may be lead astray by thinking all of the Lepai amps sound the same. From what I've read, some of the Lepai amps don't sound like the LP-2020A+ at all.

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #73 of 193
Quote:
hey strat, could you show me how you connected your speakers and sub to the lepai and e17, more specifically the back?

thanks!

See my post in your other thread. You need a speaker amplifier. Neither the FiiO E17 or the E09K are speaker amps. They are headphone amps. They won't drive speakers.

Signal chain is in my signature.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #74 of 193
I have to laugh, because if you bought the Lepai amp for your dog, why are you trying to eek a bit more power out of it? 
biggrin.gif

Hey, what are you talking about. My dog likes to listen to my system at reference volumes when I'm gone :wink: :)

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #75 of 193
Quote:
Hey, what are you talking about. My dog likes to listen to my system at reference volumes when I'm gone
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Does he listen to this? 
biggrin.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_Wow_Wow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back