Front View:
vwchassisf.jpg

May 21, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #18 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbelyo
Front View:
vwchassisf.jpg

Balanced?

That's the way I'm going (although I modified my gain stage to use 6SN7GT's instead of the 6922's)

Looks nice so far!

May 21, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #19 of 59
No, I just like to use 4 pin xlr for all my stereo connections now. It feels solid when you connect things and you can unplug and plug in on the fly without shorting out circuits.

Also I figured if and when I do go balanced I don't have to buy new connectors

May 23, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #20 of 59
Almost done..

Everything is mounted and 90% of the P2P wiring is done. I should finish it up tonight. The heaters work, but that's all I've tested so far. I don't know why I was so afraid of point to point wiring. It's much easier to change your layout or design in mid swing. Something you can't do with a pcb.

I'll post pics when I get home.

May 23, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #21 of 59
Awesome! I'm Definately P2Ping my amp. I am waiting for the cash flow to purchase my two transformers, two (double) PSU caps, a couple resistors, and a chasis.

Can't wait to see your results!

May 23, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #22 of 59
I hate cashflow problems... I will eventually re-do the PSU with C2 and R5 for each channel. I just wanted to hear it first rather than wait a week on 1 cap and 1 resistor.

I hope I dont have much hum. With just the heater filament running I put my hand on the glass of the 6AS7 and I felt vibration

May 23, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #23 of 59
Quote:

I hate cashflow problems... I will eventually re-do the PSU with C2 and R5 for each channel. I just wanted to hear it first rather than wait a week on 1 cap and 1 resistor.

I hope I dont have much hum. With just the heater filament running I put my hand on the glass of the 6AS7 and I felt vibration

WOW ballsy. I doubt I would touch that monster of a tube.
Sorry don't have any experience with the tube yet, I don't knwo what kind of hum problems you might have. I know I didn't rectify the heaters of the 4 tubes in my Morgan Jones, and I have very, very little hum.

May 23, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #24 of 59
touching the glass envelope of the tube should be fine. Glass doesn't conduct electricity. But I always keep one hand behind my back and have my shoes on.

May 23, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #26 of 59
Oh I see... I only had it one for a minute or two. Heat is no biggie, I can slowly fry an egg with my dynahi after 3 hours or so.

May 23, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #27 of 59
Quote:

Oh I see... I only had it one for a minute or two. Heat is no biggie, I can slowly fry an egg with my dynahi after 3 hours or so.

LOL, yeah I was talking about heat. Well, that and my general fear of a tube that powerful.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 24, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #28 of 59
It works!!! and good too. It's been running for an hour or so with crappy radioshack rca's and a $5 6AS7 that has a loose base. I put 220uf on the output and there's plenty of base with 250 Ohm cans. I tried 55 Ohm and the bass is less but still great sound.

At first I fired it up and the sound was terrible. I had decided to use my computer as a source and I started Itunes. The song started and the sound was heavily distorted. I was thinking oh crap what did I do. Well the Itunes EQ was on and WAY out of whack. Turned the EQ off and perfect sound emerged from my cheap test headphones. I listened for 30 min or so with my DT770's and I was pleased. I ran upstairs and stole a pair of RCA's from my DVR(Haven't used that in months). Connected the amp to my passive pre-amp and popped in a CD.

The sound is very clean and detailed. The bass is present and not distorted. So far this amp shines on midrange and vocals. It sounds better than my first attempt at P2P has any right to be.

I'll put the good tubes in tomorrow and make some propper RCA's this weekend. Once I find the best sounding tubes I have I'll try adding some more capacitance to the output.

May 24, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
Glad to hear it! What did you use for the output caps?

Elna Silmic II 220uf

It's getting better each hour

Users who are viewing this thread

Back