My Ultimate Ears still don't fit...
May 9, 2005 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ElectroJunkie

100+ Head-Fier
I am really at my wits end with my UE 5c's. I just received them back from their second refit. They are still not comfortable. The original problem seemed to be that the stems were to long, a common fit problem according to UE. After shortening the stems twice the comfort problem is still there. They are pretty comfortable if I lie in bed on my back, or if I open my mouth wide. However, the most important position, sitting at my desk and working, I find them uncomfortable. There is still a sensation that the monitors are being clamped down on and pushed out of my ear when I open and close my mouth. The odd thing is that if I twist the monitor upwards while still keeping it in my ear it feels comfortable.

I have spent a ton of money and a lot of time shipping these things back and fourth to UE. I am not sure if they would even remold them since it has been more then 30 days since sending them in originally, after first receiving them.

I am not really to excited at the prospect of paying for new molds + shipping, and having the same problem all over again. I would rather save that money for some Sensa’s.

Any advice would be great, Thanks…

May 9, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 19
Sorry to here this dude.
eek.gif
Looks like you've had a very unpleasent experience. Just wondering, when you were having your impressions done, did you have your mouth open or closed?

May 9, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé
Sorry to here this dude.
eek.gif
Looks like you've had a very unpleasent experience. Just wondering, when you were having your impressions done, did you have your mouth open or closed?

open mouth, exactly as i was instructed!

May 10, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 19
I'm sure UE will continue to work with you to get the fit right. After all, you're not being finicky -- you have a basic comfort issue. I suspect, however, that you might have had just a bad luck experience with the audiologist. You might want to discuss the issues again with UE to see what they suggest, but they might well want you to get new impressions.

In any case you will love the UE5c once they fit you properly! So don't despair -- it's worth it to get it right. And BTW you'd be just as likely to have this problem with the Sensas, the UE10s, Westones -- what-have-you. It's the nature of the beast. Some of us get lucky with the process, others do not. But I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of the audiologist and impression. And in the end, the audio payback is worth the effort to get it right!

Hope things work out for you soon!

May 10, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 19
In regards to the audiologist, he also made molds for me to get custom sleep plugs made. My sleep plugs came out perfect, the first time. I think at this poit if UE offered me half my money back, I would take it and run. I would even put a potion towards their universal fit monitors. I doubt they would go for that though.

I guess you are right about the possibility of having the same issue with the Sensa's. However, in that case you can work with the network audiologist approved by Sensaphonics (who made you the molds) to sit down and discover what the actuall fit problem is. I think this is a far better then a non expert end-user sitting down and trying to explain the fit problem to UE.

May 10, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 19
Yeah, UE will almost certainly keep working with you until you get a good fit. But definitely take others' advice and get new molds from a different audiologist. Also, make sure your ears are clean before you get the molds. The first time I went to my audiologist she said that there was some wax buildup in my canals and that I should get them cleaned before she took the impressions.

Also, there have been just as many fit problems with Sensas as with UEs. It seems like it's more a matter of luck than anything else.

May 10, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 19
How open was your mouth when doing the impressions? If it was wide open, then what you are feeling is a result of that. Try re-doing the impressions with your mouth only slighly open (teeth about half an inch apart).

May 10, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroJunkie
it was open about an inch or so, but the weird thing is that UE says to make the impression with a wide open mouth
rolleyes.gif

i've raised a similar concern about the merit of full open mouth impressions for "listeners" rather than performers. i am still having some comfort issues with my UEs, but am holding off on my second refit to better pinpoint the areas that are causing problems.

it seems that UE will continue working with us to get the fit right (as other members who have had their UEs for sometime are still getting things fixed). it is a hassel to deal with shipping and being without them though...

the sound is so promising, that when they fit perfect it will hopefully all feel worthwhile...

cheers,
phil

May 10, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 19
My impressions were done with my mouth WIDE open -- or at least, as wide as I could make it without a bite block! But my mouth is relatively small and I have a tight jaw (tension, I tell you!) so who knows how wide it actually was. In any case mine were perfect -- no adjustments needed.

BTW ElectroJunkie -- do you like your sleep plugs? I've been thinking about them but wonder about their comfort -- an audiologist told me they were uncomfortable. So I stick with Hearos instead but I love the idea of a custom ear plug! What say you?

May 10, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
My impressions were done with my mouth WIDE open -- or at least, as wide as I could make it without a bite block! But my mouth is relatively small and I have a tight jaw (tension, I tell you!) so who knows how wide it actually was. In any case mine were perfect -- no adjustments needed.

BTW ElectroJunkie -- do you like your sleep plugs? I've been thinking about them but wonder about their comfort -- an audiologist told me they were uncomfortable. So I stick with Hearos instead but I love the idea of a custom ear plug! What say you?

Well, I can tell you that they are a hell of a lot moe comfortable then my UE
eek.gif
. My Sleep plugs are made of a soft ruber type material (maybe silacone, I am not sure) The only problem that you may have is that pressure can bulid up as you lay on your side, so you may have to turn over once in a while. Other then that they are great especially for studying/working.

May 10, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #13 of 19
Thanks, ElectroJunkie -- were they made by Sensaphonic or some other manufacturer? And how well do they isolate?

May 10, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
Thanks, ElectroJunkie -- were they made by Sensaphonic or some other manufacturer? And how well do they isolate?

I don't which lab made them but I know it wasn't Sensaphonics. They isolate a bit better then variety drug store type earplugs (especially in the lower frequency range) like the foam cylinders, or pink giant nipple looking ones (sorry thats the best i could describe the pink ones
biggrin.gif
)

May 11, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 19
maybe they got your mold mix with someone elses!
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back