My UE Reference Monitors are dying, need new, cheaper pair of Earphones
Apr 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

uncleezno

New Head-Fier
Hello, 

After 18 months of happy daily usage, my Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors are dying. The first time the sound started going in one ear, I replaced the cable and all was well. It's been six months since then, and I replaced the cable one more time but the sound is still dropping in and out. I need to replace these, and I can't afford $1,000 headphones (these were a gift). I've been spoiled by them, but there's no way I can justify that kind of expense. So here's my question - does it make sense to get a low-end IEM, or to get some really good earphones and have custom molds made for them?

I'm looking to spend $250-300 on the new pair, and any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. I won't wear them to the gym or anything, but they will get used daily at my desk (where they will live).

Thanks.  

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Best advice in this thread: Contact UE first rather than complaining on the internet.

Not really the most polite way to respond to a member's post - Constructive, but rude. Kids.

Unclezno, I went back to read your first post and you mention that you purchased an extended warranty. Did you follow through on that purchase? Do you have an extended warranty?

Cheers

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 13
Ivabign - I did purchase a warranty, but then when I filed a claim they said that because I received them as a corporate gift, the warranty wasn't valid. They then refunded me the cost of the warranty, which is probably far less than the repair cost. I just think they didn't want to pay out so soon for such an expensive claim. 

Kunlun - I didn't intend to come off as whiny; I came here because I know some knowledgeable folk read these boards. I'm just disappointed that such an expensive pair of headphones is constructed no better than the half-dozen pair of Shure and UE universal fit earbuds that always broke after 12-18 months. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 13
If you bought them a year ago and have an extended warranty, there's no reason not to see what UE have to say before doing anything else.  For the price, there's no reason to accept these dying after a year.

Edit: you posted as I was posting.  That's... ridiculously bad customer service on their part.  Absolutely not what I would expect from a company making extremely personalized, extremely expensive electronics.  Then again, Logitech by any other name is still Logitech I suppose.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 13
UE has their rules for whatever reasons. They aren't trying to screw you. The information is right on their site.. If they were an original UE purchase and not a reshell, they will take care of it.  " Ultimate Ears Custom Products can be repaired if necessary.  Repair estimates are available upon request.  If you find it necessary to return your Ultimate Ears Product for warranty service or repair please call our Customer Service Center" I doubt the service will be over that $300 you're looking at. The time to contact them was with the original problem and under warranty.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #8 of 13
I didn't buy them, they were a gift from the company. 

You guys are right, I should just call them up and see what it would cost to get them repaired. If the repair costs more than $200, though, I think it makes sense to get something new with a two year warranty rather than risk these breaking again after one more year. Does that make sense?

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
At least you're not blaming UE but really, the information is right on their site.. If they were an original UE purchase and not a reshell, they will take care of it.  " Ultimate Ears Custom Products can be repaired if necessary.  Repair estimates are available upon request.  If you find it necessary to return your Ultimate Ears Product for warranty service or repair please call our Customer Service Center"

It's still pretty bad to sell an extended warranty and then refund the cost of it a year later rather than actually honoring it.  If gifts aren't covered under warranty it shouldn't have been available for him to buy.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 13
Sethsez - sorry if this was unclear, the warranty was a third party warranty. UE only has its basic one-year limited warranty. I can't fault UE for not honoring a warranty, this issue wasn't with them. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #13 of 13
If you bought them a year ago and have an extended warranty, there's no reason not to see what UE have to say before doing anything else.  For the price, there's no reason to accept these dying after a year.

Edit: you posted as I was posting.  That's... ridiculously bad customer service on their part.  Absolutely not what I would expect from a company making extremely personalized, extremely expensive electronics.  Then again, Logitech by any other name is still Logitech I suppose.

Ive always had exceptional customer service by logitech... never had a problem with a warranty claim.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back